Discuss Low height walls - setting out help? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Hi guys, me again! sorry :mad2:

I need a bit of concrete advice on setting out my bathroom walls for tiling. The bathroom is in an old cottage so LOOOW ceilings. Wall height after floor is tiled will be about 2 metres MAX (size of room is about 3m by 2.5)

Being a old cottage, all the joists/studs wont be perfect so nothings gonna be perfectly level (ie ceiling line!)

regarding height...

what will be the best way to set out? tiles are fairly large long oblong ones.. 40x 60 perhaps, id have to check.

Is the best way to level fit a baton one tile (plus grout) up from the floor?

or should I try to measure to get a full tile from the ceiling join and work my way down as far as a full tile will go, then baton.

regarding width i guess use a measuring stick with tile widths and grout marked and try to determine a starting position which leaves me with the least amount to cut on each tile on the left and right side?

oh and lastly! what pattern... brick or stacked... I STILL cant decide!

thanks all and sorry ! :)

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Hi,
Personally i'd avoid leaving a full tile gap round the bottom incase the floor runs out, it's a pain having to shave a few mm off a tile if the floor raises or ending up with a gap if it drops away. Even on new builds it's very rare to get a floor that is 100% level all round so in an old cottage there's virtually no chance!! IMO you're best off setting out from the centre of the wall horizontally either using the edge of the tile or the centre of the tile depending on which leaves you the biggest cut top and bottom. I'd then measure down and baton the wall leaving the bottom cut out, piece these in when the top has set.
Cheers and good luck

D

davemul

Hi gents, thank you all for the advice. ive just been to get all the tiles and marmox.. OUCH WALLET OUCH

Walls were lime plaster and lath.. and knackered. Ive taken it all down and will be boarding the whole shebang with Marmox ( i sound like a bloomin sales rep for them!)

Actually I might do a work in progress picture thread if no one minds? is there a specific forum I should put it in?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Low height walls - setting out help? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Due to money constraints I am having to renovate the bathroom myself. I am trying my...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Im a DIY tiler and am about to half height tile my downstairs toilet with 600x300...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Low height walls - setting out help?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.