UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Making Your Own Adhesive With Cement And Sand? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

sWe

Making thinset and getting a consistant result wouldn't be entirely easy, but the old way of tiling isn't that hard. Well, the mixing part anyways. Actually, tiling with the old metod it is a pain in the arse. It involves a bed of damp conrete which you compact, and upon which you pour a screed of portland cement with a slurryish consistency. Real heavy, messy, and time consuming, but it works. Can't imagine it's cheaper than buying ready-to-mix thinset, but the method has it's uses. I avoid it.

J

JOHNNYCLARKE

I regularily use a mixture of washed sand/cement /flexible adhesive when bedding limestone flooring that is uneven in thickness or if screed is too far out of level.
If you use sand / cement mix only min bed is 25mm plus old school used a cement slurry on back tile .
But with this mix and as long as you use plastering / washed sand can quite easily get a solid bed under stone down to 6mm thick.
I still use very thin coat flex adhesive all over back of tile and on screed . so you make a sandwich of your mix in between.
MIXING PROPORTIONS:

I PART CEMENT ( 1/2 BAG ) 12.5 KG( PREFERRABLY WHITE COZ GREY HAS REACTION WITH PALE POROUS STONES SOMETIMES)
I PART FLEX ADHESIVE ( 1/2 BAG 10.00 KG.)
3 BAGS X 25 KG WASHED SAND.

MANY STONE FIXERS USE THIS METHOD BUT IT IS NOT GUARANTEED BY ADHESIVE MANUFACTURERS OR ANY ONE EXCEPT YOU IF YOU FEEL HAPPY WITH IT.

IT SAVES ENORMOUS AMOUNT OF MONEY IF SCREEDS OUT OF LEVEL AND YOU HAVE TO LEVEL UP.
BUT YOU CHARGE MORE TO LAY STONE AND SORTING THEIR WRONG LEVELS OUT.

I HAVE USED THIS ON QUARRIES AND CERAMICS BUT DONT TRY ON PORCELAIN AS TOO DENSE AND NON POROUS.
DONT WALK ON TILES THE FOLLOWING DAY AT ALL.
DONT JUST PUT FIVE BLOBS UNDER TILES IT SHOULD BE SOLID BED.
CAN CAUSE SALT PROBLEMS WITH TERRACOTTA.

HOPE THIS IS OF HELP.

JOHNNY

C

Cliff Anger

cheers Johnny, reason i was wondering becasue i laid 27m2 of slate of vastly varying depth (also random dimensions) it was unbelivable - at least £250 spent in adhesive packing it out to get it level, so was thinking next time might try a different way.
Having said that.. probally best to avoid laying tiles if they vary by more than 7mm.

It might have been worth a call to your friendly tile adhesive manufacturer ??

There are so many different adhesives and levelling compounds on the market - and its not always neccesary to use an expensive high polymer based adhesive as a levelling compound.

R

reaper72

I know a guy who uses this method and reinforces it throughout with chicken mesh wire ...my kitchen floor was done by him using this method,I'm dreading ever having to lift it:furious3: He also used this method for my outside back patio and the kids go over it with their bikes and everything-not one popped yet!
But to do this day in day out especially with small domestic jobs would be a real pain in the arse!:thumbsup:

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Yes we do all the time !!

Then we sell it to tile fixers !!!

Sorry

Seriously it is a very complicated matter with all the modern tile types - large format tiles and polymer additives. We employ over six hundred staff in our R&D departments - so try it if you like ??
with these six hundred staff why do your exsperts no so little about fixing large thin formats most of
your specs could not be more wrong why do your exsperts say to prime fibra glass substrates but not fibra glass
tiles light weight adesive changes the longer its left mixed up and becomes more useles why do you sell water
proof grout and adhesive in buckets to bq total rubbish as it is not possible i know i will read the small print
on the back for the truth .

T

Time's Ran Out

We always used to make our own substrates in sand/cement sceeds then slurry coat the tiles prior to laying. You couldn't blame anyone else then.
Today the tile choice, adhesive choice and time parameters mean it's quicker and cost effective to use the correct adhesives , but only on the smaller jobs. But even if you prepare your own substrate you have to use the decoupling membranes to ensure no shrinkage.

R

Russel

Very interesting thread thanks for pulling it up.

I have always wondered about this and as far as I understand flexible tile adhesive is a very fine sand + portland cement + polymer + rapid or retarding agent. The Portland cement technical say that "sugar" retards cement setting and that "salt" makes it set faster. As far as the polymer additive goes I can only think of SBR from regular builders merchants. I asked both Mapei and BAL technical about their polymer additives but didnt get an answer.
Any ideas on the polymer or sugar and salt??? I would be very interested in your replies.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Making Your Own Adhesive With Cement And Sand? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out here; I've been reading as many threads...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I normally post over in diynot for general DIY but wrt tiling over timber I need some...
Replies
Views
Just Rizzle
J
O
So after a couple of weeks trialing @ISOMAT UK products, thought it was time to give initial...
Replies
Views
S
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.