Discuss Manners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I got one on friday (@Andystiletiling had a email at the same time from the same bloke,we were both tiling a floor ont same job) asking me for a price of 30m2 of 'cheap b&q tiles' ,and how soon can I do it, he will supply tiles and me addy and grout, I gave him the price , and said maybe week after next if I juggle stuff.
Message I got back
" mmmm the price is nearly there, time scale is not soon enough, we can't work together this time,hopefully in the future" (something along them lines)
Me
"Ok,no probs" o_O
I think cos they were 'cheap bq' tiles he wanted cheap price,:)

S

Spare Tool

I got one on friday (@Andystiletiling had a email at the same time from the same bloke,we were both tiling a floor ont same job) asking me for a price of 30m2 of 'cheap b&q tiles' ,and how soon can I do it, he will supply tiles and me addy and grout, I gave him the price , and said maybe week after next if I juggle stuff.
Message I got back
" mmmm the price is nearly there, time scale is not soon enough, we can't work together this time,hopefully in the future" (something along them lines)
Me
"Ok,no probs" o_O
I think cos they were 'cheap bq' tiles he wanted cheap price,:)
....another chancer!!

F

Flintstone

Had a call about an hour ago, a flat that they are doing up, not sure if it's a seller or there home, basically a large ish floor area to tile, starting with kitchen. And also bathroom to tile. I said I would call and look at it, he asked about time scale I said start of October. 'Oh but kitchen is being fitted on September the 5th can you not work some evenings to get that area done for then.
Then he asked about floor prep and said 'some have said put ply down and some have said put cement board down'.
Obviously had a few people round, I mentioned that and he said they were not reliable with there times or something, shrugged it off.

Time waster or good job? You can never really tell

A

Aston

Had a call about an hour ago, a flat that they are doing up, not sure if it's a seller or there home, basically a large ish floor area to tile, starting with kitchen. And also bathroom to tile. I said I would call and look at it, he asked about time scale I said start of October. 'Oh but kitchen is being fitted on September the 5th can you not work some evenings to get that area done for then.
Then he asked about floor prep and said 'some have said put ply down and some have said put cement board down'.
Obviously had a few people round, I mentioned that and he said they were not reliable with there times or something, shrugged it off.

Time waster or good job? You can never really tell

I don't think they are time wasters mate.
I think they want the job done right and they are seeing who fits their criteria.....Give them what they want. if they then want you, then the balls in your court and you can charge more because?? ''You are in demand''

its one of the laws of business apparently...its called supply and demand, when things are unobtainable, they go up in value? ;0)

J

Joseph Kover

I am very good with people and know how to converse with all types of people, I have no doubt in my self or my ability to make a good impression. Andy is right.
Some times you can tell straight away, other times, not so easy. if they make a point of needing it done straight away, or have been let down by another tiler, or ask about money on the phone then it's a no go. I can often tell when some one is having loads of quotes off everyone in the area by the un personal mannor that they speak to you, that's a no go!
It's just the ones that seem fine and 'aren't in a rush' they you do all the leg work and here nothing more from it
it depends on the type of people you run across.for an example if it is a kebab shop 30msq floor or a middle-high class british couple etc...also from what area.in London people are reasonable,they dont looking for cheap work anymore but looking for reliable traders.they see after 5 min if you know what you re talking about.polite and correct first impression matters a lot,and they like if the traders explains what is going to happen and make them aware of any problem can occur.

B

bcd-87

There's no such thing as a time waster.

If a person has rang you, then there's a reason? It's called subconscious behaviour?
If they don't use you it's because..

1. You didn't sell your services well enough - poor sales delivery and technique
2. You could'nt justify the benefits of your price - no such thing as too expensive.
3. They didn't like your tracky bottoms - image issue
4. They are not ready now - so leave a good impression, so when they are ready, they'll use you
5. They did'nt like you - could be your attitude or lack of enthsiasm
6. They didnt connect with you - thinking of your outcome, rather than theirs
7. They picked up on the fact you resented being there - I'll let you fill that bit in ;0)

And the list goes on....
If you want to be in business, then you HAVE to learn to
1. sell correctly
2. Be very motivated
3. Be very resilient
4. Be unaffected by rejection
5. Aim to be better than your competition

I am honestly not having a go, I am just trying to show you the other side of what having a business is all about that's all....You could be the best tiler on the planet but if you don't get the sales skills right, you won't reach your potential.

I'm going back to work this week after 13 weeks off that's really helped with my confidence, thanks

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Manners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Good Evening Folks. I'm going to post a few pictures & would like to hear some feedback from...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. First time poster and tile diy. Thanks in advance for any and all help, tidbits...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB