Discuss Manners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

I had some guy ring me on Sunday teatime that had found me on google, wittering on about a kitchen Splashback while I'm trying to BBQ kids tea, I only live 5 minutes from the job so said id pop round on my way home last night between 5 and 6, quarter to six I'm leaving work about twenty minutes away, so out of courtesy text to say I wouldn't be long, was literally a minute from his house when I gets reply..
I'm not in Andy, ill send some pics when I get home...no sorry or nothing, I text back I need to see it before I can give you an idea on price, I can come round Fri teatime or Saturday afternoon, come round Friday at 7 was the reply no please, two seconds later...make that 8 still no please. By this time I'm starting to boil up but managed to keep my calm and text back, sorry too late for me on a Friday.. That was that, end of conversation end of rude customer and end of kitchen splashy, played a blinder there I think ;)

at least you were prepared to go round on a couple of occasions andy, you cant do any more than that ;0)

anyway, everybody has different attitudes and different ways of conducting their business so i'm not here to convince anybody, i'm just throwing up a few suggestions on ways to get work and maintain a good attitude towards getting it (whether you are doing well or not)

My Tip:
When doing jobs, at least halfway through, when customers are comfortable, I always ask why they chose me and not the other blokes who quoted.

Some of the info they give is priceless, and usually they're not shy in going into detail about what really nagged them or annoyed them. Obviously they then describe how good you were at the quote and how comfortable they were when you visited etc..

It then helps on future quotes I reckon..

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Fact is the more busy you are the more you pick and choose your work...
And why not? If I looked at every job that came in at the moment I wouldn't have any time to work.
This is a copy of an email I got a couple of weeks ago.

20160816_181526.png

Why would I want to take something like this on when I got 20 other better jobs to be getting on with..?
I always reply to all my customers, never rude or anything like that, just can't see the piont in looking at a job that's going to be a nightmare and you don't want to do.

S

Spare Tool

Fact is the more busy you are the more you pick and choose your work...
And why not? If I looked at every job that came in at the moment I wouldn't have any time to work.
This is a copy of an email I got a couple of weeks ago.

View attachment 84042

Why would I want to take something like this on when I got 20 other better jobs to be getting on with..?
I always reply to all my customers, never rude or anything like that, just can't see the piont in looking at a job that's going to be a nightmare and you don't want to do.
And all it'll take is one little scratch when your taking tiles off in her 'high spec' shiny new kitchen and it'll be you hung out to dry...least she had some manners in her email though :)

H

hmtiling

I got a text at 9pm last Sunday-

Hi can you quote for metro tiles 100 x 200 fitting to toilet room please on half walls. After this we wish to get a quote for full bathroom and floor tiling. Ideally to have done as soon as possible, many thanks Pippa S8.

She didn't get a reply. Why would you text some one for first contact? Fair enough after you have met and seen the job
I love the carrot dangling! Get that all the time. After this I've got 2000m2 for you of pumped screed already sanded! Yeah, yeah, yeah!

W

White Room

Hi can you quote for metro tiles 100 x 200 fitting to toilet room please on half walls. After this we wish to get a quote for full bathroom and floor tiling. Ideally to have done as soon as possible, many thanks Pippa S8.

She didn't get a reply. Why would you text some one for first contact? Fair enough after you have met and seen the job

It seems to be the done way with younger people....

S

Spare Tool

I got a good txt 10 days ago! Haha
It reads:

Hi mark. My name is Dee. I've been let down by my builder and I need the job completed. Some coving and woodwork and painting also. Tile my garden passage and install AstroTurf. Can you help
Thanx
Dee

She's still waiting for a reply!
'Tile my garden passage'...thats nearly as bad as leaving a packet of johnies lying about ;)

O

One Day

Some great advice from Aston there. Seriously - years of experience condensed into a few paragraphs.
We'd all do well to read it, digest it, and use it.

My life prior to tiling was blue-chip sales so I'm pretty familiar with the psychology and patter.
My approach now with new customers who call me - really listen, ask questions. There are always calls which I will politely bat away, normally by being too busy.
I don't like taking "fresh" customers on really. Nearly all my work is referral so there's always a personal connection somewhere, but occasionally I get interested by someone and it can lead to good things.

If you've time and you want/need the work - then don't quickly dismiss anyone.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Someone rings up 'tilers let me down I'm desperate to get my bathroom done so the plumber can finish'
That reads to me ....jobs crap or you've screwed the tiler down to such a cheap price he's found a better paying job.
Either way if your booked for 2 months how do you convince them to wait ?
Not saying people like this are timewasters but what's the piont of even looking at a job like this ?

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
There's no such thing as a time waster.

If a person has rang you, then there's a reason? It's called subconscious behaviour?
If they don't use you it's because..

1. You didn't sell your services well enough - poor sales delivery and technique
2. You could'nt justify the benefits of your price - no such thing as too expensive.
3. They didn't like your tracky bottoms - image issue
4. They are not ready now - so leave a good impression, so when they are ready, they'll use you
5. They did'nt like you - could be your attitude or lack of enthsiasm
6. They didnt connect with you - thinking of your outcome, rather than theirs
7. They picked up on the fact you resented being there - I'll let you fill that bit in ;0)

And the list goes on....
If you want to be in business, then you HAVE to learn to
1. sell correctly
2. Be very motivated
3. Be very resilient
4. Be unaffected by rejection
5. Aim to be better than your competition

I am honestly not having a go, I am just trying to show you the other side of what having a business is all about that's all....You could be the best tiler on the planet but if you don't get the sales skills right, you won't reach your potential.

THIS! THIS! THIS! Right here, read this and this only!!!!

Personally couldn't have put it better myself.

I have priced many jobs, walked away and thought I have done it to cheaply and not got the job! Again same shoe different foot, "out" priced a job. Surprise, surprise got the job and what a great job.

Personally feel as if I get more and more email enquires now, I prefer a good natter on the phone or a face to face. Quickly separates the time wasters from the genuine customers. That is how I mostly give "estimates" by email or text. Think the job is £200, quote £300. Think the job is £600, quote £800.

I have found this quickly separates time wasters from genuine customers. I have no problem when someone says £800 is great and I come out and have a look and say £600, day and a half, no hassle. Nothing worse than giving up your time and someone expecting an £800 job done for £200. Waste of my time and theirs! More mine! As I am out fuel and time to go and tell them they are living on fantasy to expect me or any other tradesman to commit to a job for half of what it is worth!

Lastly #localtiler

don't lose the head, there is ALWAYS time wasters!!! ALWAYS!!!! The art of customer service is trying to extract the good from the bad! A very, very, very fine art! Most of my best jobs (not all) I have felt as if they are a waste of time over the Phone. Went to see them and JACKPOT!!!!! lol

The best example I can give you, "I have got a small curved exterior wall, not a lot in it mate but I would appreciate it if you could have a look, I am looking from a quick turn over though cash in hand. I expected to see 10 or 20 metres. 80 metres mate.... why didn't you say that over the phone?????

Point I am making?.... it is better to over estimate a job, customer doesn't like your quote or wants the job done for the price of a big mac???? he or she wont call back, you go in more either stick to said price or offer cheaper, you are almost guaranteed the job. Referrals are the best example of this!

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
Someone rings up 'tilers let me down I'm desperate to get my bathroom done so the plumber can finish'
That reads to me ....jobs crap or you've screwed the tiler down to such a cheap price he's found a better paying job.
Either way if your booked for 2 months how do you convince them to wait ?
Not saying people like this are timewasters but what's the piont of even looking at a job like this ?

I actually had a job like this and my current customers mother had died, the day before I was ment to start the job. god rest her soul. Job got cancelled,

Got a call 10 minutes later, tiler let me down. What a job it was! 45 metres walls and floor. Victorian building, wife hated the stained glass windows. Listed building. They couldn't change any windows or exterior features of the building. Husband loved old school, wife loved new builds. Husband was a very rich banker, he had final say (very rare, I know!) Anyhow long story short the hubbys way round building control was to "box out the window"

Appears to be the same outside but basically a plain wall with no window inside. 4 straight square walls and floor in a bathroom, 45 metres. 2 days. Unfortunately Mr Jones *not real name* you are going to be £2500. No problem steven, when can you start? If carlbergs made jobs like this... I would be a millionaire by the end of the week...... This is one of those rare times when the pieces of the puzzle slot together beautifully, other than that tiling is a nightmare hahahahahahaha

S

SJPurdy

I can't see what is wrong with receiving an enquiry by text like this. You can answer it in your own time when you have thought about your own time schedules etc. and whether you are interested in quoting for it. It is far better than the mobile phone ringing when you have just mixed a bucket of fast set on a hot day!

I used to put a line in my quotes something like "As part of this work I will be pleased to calculate the quantities of tiles that you require when you have chosen your tiles." I hated it when I had worked out quantities of all the different types of field and border tiles for free (for another tiler to then fix) so I made it clear it was part of the paid work.

F

Flintstone

I can't see what is wrong with receiving an enquiry by text like this. You can answer it in your own time when you have thought about your own time schedules etc. and whether you are interested in quoting for it. It is far better than the mobile phone ringing when you have just mixed a bucket of fast set on a hot day!

I used to put a line in my quotes something like "As part of this work I will be pleased to calculate the quantities of tiles that you require when you have chosen your tiles." I hated it when I had worked out quantities of all the different types of field and border tiles for free (for another tiler to then fix) so I made it clear it was part of the paid work.

I always measure up when I look At a job as it helps me to work out my price.

S

SJPurdy

I always measure up when I look At a job as it helps me to work out my price.
I assumed that the txt was "asking" you to get in touch so that you could arrange to go and measure up and then quote. My point was that I think more an more enquiries will be made by txt rather than phone and so if you are seeking work then it is worth replying. Many people think that txting is more polite than phoning as it doesn't require an instant reply. When I was working it was sometimes frustrating to have the phone demanding that I should answer it then and there when I had just spread my adhesive, and the only thing available to take notes was an offcut of tile.

W

WetSaw

Don't advertise your mobile number and then you won't get bothered! When I was in the UK I had 2 phone lines, one private and one business. I only ever gave my mobile to people I wanted to have it. For some strange reason people seem to think that a mobile number is available 24/7!!
I'm lucky here that I don't need to look for work and I'm always busy.
Apart from one client who, despite me working for him for 8 years and knowing that whatever he asked to be done will be done, is always sending me Whatsapps asking if it's done!!

Reply to Manners in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Good Evening Folks. I'm going to post a few pictures & would like to hear some feedback from...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. First time poster and tile diy. Thanks in advance for any and all help, tidbits...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB