Discuss marine ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jay

I recently retiled a shower area, the plaster board had been up since 1984, and it was only damp behind, at the bottom because the silicone had split, are we not over killing by using all these water proof boards, if there is a good seal, why not use plasterboard ?, in 15 years time, when you dont have to worry about the guarantee, the owners will probably want to up date anyway, all these new backer boards, are they really necessary. ?

and how does the plaster dry out/// waterproofing has its place and in my opinion is a wise move ,if its done right we should see no more ceilings with water damage (due to upstairs bathroom) or rotting timber and carpet in the next room .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I recently retiled a shower area, the plaster board had been up since 1984, and it was only damp behind, at the bottom because the silicone had split, are we not over killing by using all these water proof boards, if there is a good seal, why not use plasterboard ?, in 15 years time, when you dont have to worry about the guarantee, the owners will probably want to up date anyway, all these new backer boards, are they really necessary. ?
i think its overkill in some situations.like you have pointed out,plasterboard has been used for years as a substrate,and you used to have to skim it as well.
but,there is nothing wrong with it,times move on and new fandangled thingiemebobs come out every day,some are rubbish some are good

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
i think its overkill in some situations.like you have pointed out,plasterboard has been used for years as a substrate,and you used to have to skim it as well.
but,there is nothing wrong with it,times move on and new fandangled thingiemebobs come out every day,some are rubbish some are good
ps,i would never tile onto ply,did it once,never ever again,wood swells, shrinks, bows ec.
imo,i would just tell your customer to change it,use the ply to do something else :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to marine ply in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, I've signed up to ask for some advice. I know you'll wince as I'm a try-hard DIYer...
Replies
Views
Evening, I am doing a job for a customer which i have been dreading!!!. Tilling the floor of...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
G
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so please forgive any silly questions, I've taken on rather a big...
Replies
Views
H
Hope someone can advise me on the best way to go about two tiling jobs I need to do at home...
Replies
Views
HardTarget
H

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
marine ply
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.