Discuss Mates rates in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cornish_crofter

I started on mates rates for all our friends.

As time goes on you realise who will repay the favour. Some very good friends of ours were getting a fixed discount on my hourly rate. She ran a business selling custom embroidered clothing - with company logo etc on it.

Bearing in mind that they were getting the friends' rate, I was rather suprised when she didn't take the opportunity to reciprocate with her prices when I enquired about some T shirts.

The friends' rate was 'phased out' in their case. They're still good customers of mine and they are still good friends.

A completely different example - one of my friends is a Quantity Surveyor and sometimes helps me with pricing and contacts on jobs. His house is often needing little jobs. One such example was changing bath taps. His plumber had let him down but he had bought the taps. So one day I went and fitted them for him. For little jobs in his case I simply charge materials. I fitted his taps in a spare hour I had. Another time I unblocked his drain. However he has helped me in pricing for UPVC fascia jobs and a couple of other areas where I didn't have the experience at the time - all FOC.

It's unusual when a reciprocal arrangement works well, but when it does, it works very well.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If tiling was your hobby and you were doing it for pocket money then mates rates are fine but when it is your profession and your living you have to apply different rules. if he is not happy to pay you the going rate then walk away in my opinion. I often get asked to sort out cheap prices for mates for screeds and concretes. If I can do it without detriment to myself then fine - if not sorry folks its full price or no delivery.......

G

Gazzer

Well in the end he got his floor tiled. Lloyd bathroom 1.jpg Wasnt to my liking really but he loves it. He even saw where I was coming from regarding costs involved due to it being more complicated. I removed and refitted bath panels, Pedestal and Pan, again he saw the sense....but now wants his hall way tiled in 600x 600 marble diamond set but cant see why I am wanting the skirtings off.
L floor.jpg He is also trying to source the cheapest marble available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Mates rates in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mates rates
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.