UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss mercedes vito van good or bad in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gordy8

We have a Vito 110CDI lwb on an 03 plate, We use it as a family vehicle as it has six seats and a large load space in the rear. It's a great looking vehicle, drives amazingly well and most parts can now be sourced cheaper from many aftermarket suppliers.
We had to replace the exhaust on ours which cost £400 (two cats on the front pipe), with hind sight this could have been welded as it only went on one of the original welds, pipe and cats were still in great condition. Sadly i was away so OH had to get it to a garage!!!
Can definately recommend!!! :thumbsup:

C

craig1010

I have a '54 plate Vito 109 Cdi. I was after a van I can use as a family car as I have a daughter and another baby on the way, and I'm not buying another car to sit in the drive 5 or 6 days a week. I mostly bought it because I thought a Transit is too big, and a Peugeot Partner or Connect is a bit small (for me, I do quite a lot of plywood sheeting). The Transits are good, but not that good on fuel, the Vito is said to do approx 55mpg on a good run, maybe so, but I can't get any more than about 30mpg around town.
I'd avoid the pre 2004 Vito as they are pretty bad for rust and the air suspension compressor packing in (although I'm not knocking them Gordy8). The new shape is good, but gears are a bit short (high revs on the motorway). If you don't need a big-ish van' I'd settle for a Berlingo/Partner, Connect, or Caddy, far cheaper on fuel.
All Mercs post 2003 were built with better steel and galvanised due to millions of warranty claims. I ran a Bodyshop for 14 years before I decided to tile, so I'm pretty clued up on these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gordy8

Craig1010 is right about the rust, Our's isn't too bad, but then again it's in a really nice light matallic blue and the previous owner kept it polished. That being said we are looking at having to have both sides treated and blown over to get rid of some small rust spots which seem to have come from stone chips. Bit over the top, but we do intend on keeping it for a few more years yet.
New shape one's are nice, but also tend to hold their value. If it's for your business you've obviously got to weigh up servicing/repairs costs etc.

M

mark p

i bought a mercedes 109 cdi new shape extra long converted to a 9 seater taxi in 2004. by 2006 every panel had rust on it. mercedes eventualy got my car in to a mercedes aproved body shop. where they replaced the rear hatch bonnet and roof and told me they repaired the front doors the sliding doors and the rear quarter pannels.this is not a one off i've seen loads like this vans with barn doors aswell and the very expensive vaneos and vans as new as 2007 there worse than the old vito.:incazzato: my one is nearly 5 years old now and has rot through the middle of the doors and rear quarters as well as the bottom of the doors :incazzato:

M

mikethetile

I have had the old vito 638, went rusty, two in fact.
replaced with a newer 639 also had some rust but better, I did 80 k in it and spent nothing but servicing.
I now have a 2006 vito duel liner long, love it, all galvanised with a 12 year rust warranty.
If you want rust free mercedes buy 2005 on.
Bullet proof as long as you service it, good for 300k
I would hope he as chosen a van by know as this post was started in march 09

I bought a brand new 51 plate Vito 110CDi and it lasted a good seven years with no problems at all - other than the knucklehead that snapped the key in the ignition and then forceably snapped the steering lock, which cost £350 at Merc to repair.:mad2:

Had a little bit of rust around the arches when I got rid, but other than that if they are well looked after and maintained they will go forever:thumbsup:

But like David says the parts are more expensive than most comparably sized vans:thumbsdown:

A

albyshellshear

since it's a merc the parts will be naturally dearer,better of looking at a transit or similar!
Thats not exactly true I think you will find merc dealer parts cheaper than you think I had I had a 180c and needed a new ignition key when I had a peurgot I paid £72 for one so I was expecting well into the 100s I was very suprised it only cost £42 :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Some of the threads in the tiling forum that have had a lot of views are being bumped up into current discussion. Just walk on by if it's not your flavour right now. Perhaps it'll help somebody out one day, and they become members, and then they post a thread, and professional tilers respond, and then you learn something from them...? Maybe?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to mercedes vito van good or bad in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good evening chaps, the time has come to buy a van, I think I'm going to get one of the ex...
Replies
Views
Mr Tiler
M
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
O
Hi Guy's I have a white 51 plate astra van year mot etc and van full of tools reason for sale...
Replies
Views
brian c
B
C
hi all, i posted this thread in the arms as i didnt want the general public to hear my rant or...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Marksmithtiling
M
Y
Hi All, I have for the past 24 hours getting to grips with a lot of issues with regard to...
Replies
Views
YNWA2012
Y

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.