UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Method statements and risk assesments. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cjbombero

Risk Assessments and method statements are pretty straight forward so don't let them worry you. I am IOSH & NEBOSH trained through the fire service (health & safety certificates) so I will try and help out if i can.

RISK ASSESSMENT

As the title states this is where you are carrying out an assessment of the potential hazards in your workplace and identifying what safety measures you can implement. To calculate a hazard you will have to compare the likleness and severity of an incient using a simple four or five square grid.

Likeleness x Severity
1 = Unlikely to happen 1 = Minimal Injury
2 = May happen in time 2 = Minor Injury
3 = Likely to happen 3 = Serious Injury
4 = Will happen 4 = Major injury or death

Once you have calculated your hazard score you can now add control measures, once you have done this recalculate the hazard including your control measures. You should now have a lower score. Under Health & Safety Executive law a risk assessment must be a written record that all persons carying out work for you have access to so I would attach it to every job sheet, this way you don't miss out labourers or sub contractors.

Example -
HAZARD - Falling debris
Risk Assessment- Working an assessment on the fact that you are on a building site it is highly likely that some rubbish or bricks will fall from height at some point your likeleness will be 3. The severity of a brick landing on someone's head is serious injury or death so your severity would be a 4.
4 x 3 = 12(this is your hazard score)
Control measures - Anything you can think of to reduce the likeless or severity. Off the top of my head,
  • Kick-boards fitted to all workplatforms
  • Hard hats to be worn by all persons on site
  • Site to be cleared of debris on a regualr basis
New assessment - L = 2 x S = 2
New Score = 4.

METHOD STATEMENTS

These are just a written record of how you are going to safely carry out the work. Normally the only time you would see these on a site is when you are carrying out hot works or a particularly dangerous activity like working at height. For a tiling job this will be very staight forward. Just identify the power tools being used, where the cutting areas are, action to take in the event of a fire etc.

This is a very brief overview of what your asking about but i hope it helps

cjbombero

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bigchez

Cheers for that
Risk Assessments and method statements are pretty straight forward so don't let them worry you. I am IOSH & NEBOSH trained through the fire service (health & safety certificates) so I will try and help out if i can.

RISK ASSESSMENT

As the title states this is where you are carrying out an assessment of the potential hazards in your workplace and identifying what safety measures you can implement. To calculate a hazard you will have to compare the likleness and severity of an incient using a simple four or five square grid.

Likeleness x Severity
1 = Unlikely to happen 1 = Minimal Injury
2 = May happen in time 2 = Minor Injury
3 = Likely to happen 3 = Serious Injury
4 = Will happen 4 = Major injury or death

Once you have calculated your hazard score you can now add control measures, once you have done this recalculate the hazard including your control measures. You should now have a lower score. Under Health & Safety Executive law a risk assessment must be a written record that all persons carying out work for you have access to so I would attach it to every job sheet, this way you don't miss out labourers or sub contractors.

Example -
HAZARD - Falling debris
Risk Assessment- Working an assessment on the fact that you are on a building site it is highly likely that some rubbish or bricks will fall from height at some point your likeleness will be 3. The severity of a brick landing on someone's head is serious injury or death so your severity would be a 4.
4 x 3 = 12(this is your hazard score)
Control measures - Anything you can think of to reduce the likeless or severity. Off the top of my head,
  • Kick-boards fitted to all workplatforms
  • Hard hats to be worn by all persons on site
  • Site to be cleared of debris on a regualr basis
New assessment - L = 2 x S = 2
New Score = 4.

METHOD STATEMENTS

These are just a written record of how you are going to safely carry out the work. Normally the only time you would see these on a site is when you are carrying out hot works or a particularly dangerous activity like working at height. For a tiling job this will be very staight forward. Just identify the power tools being used, where the cutting areas are, action to take in the event of a fire etc.

This is a very brief overview of what your asking about but i hope it helps

cjbombero

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Method statements and risk assesments. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all In a kind of 'Payment' for all the advice i have got from here i have decided to do a...
Replies
Views
T
Hi guys could any of you help me out with sample method statements and risk assesments please...
Replies
Views
Max@ableskills
M
A
hi people, just aquick one for you. does anybody have a risk assesment and method statement...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T
A
hi people, hope you can help me. im looking for some help on risk assesments and method...
Replies
Views
Pebbs
P

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.