UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Mitred edges - 12mm travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

lockers

I have been searching around for an answer to this without success so hopfully somebody can advise.

I consider myself to be a fairly competent diy tiler (it just takes a lot longer!) and I am about to start a bathroom project using 601x406x12mm honed and filled ivory travertine.

I have researched pretty much all aspects before I start but I am still not comfortable with how to approach the window surround edges.

The question is : do I use metal trims or attempt to mitre the edges.

I would prefer the mitred look but not at the expense of an untidy finish. I intend to hire a decent wet saw but am unsure how succsesful mitre joints will turn out.

I have also read that an angle grinder with a diamond cut blade can be effective but cannot workout how a definate straight edge could be maintained taking this approach?

If I go down the metal trim route would the 12mm aluminium trims such as those sold at tile rite be ok with my tiles allowing for adhesive (basic question I know).

Any advice greatly appreciated......

L

Leatherface

Hello chaps, some of the answers are nearly correct though not quite.
YES - the best results are acheived by butt jointing and polishing the edges.
HOWEVER - The way to acheive this is as follows............

You need a variable speed grinder ( I use a Makita )
& also a velcro sanding pad attatchment and sanding disks.

The idea is that you should sand and slightly round off the edges prior 2 fixing and then give a final light finishing sanding once the tiles are set and adhesive set. This way you do not do much unnecessary damage or sanding to the adjoining tiles.
Slow your grinder down to around 1400 rpm ( or speed setting 2 )
Start with 60 grit, then 80, then 120, then 300 and finally 500. Fix tile & continue with next. This will give a beautiful polished edge. Gently sand again in situ' once adhesive has set to even out.
I will upload a few pics of a job I recently did when I get time.
Faliure to use a slow speed or faliure to gradually go through grades of paper can cause scorching or poor results.

B

basshunter

Hi all,new to forum but in the same boat as lockers on my next job.

If the trav is decent (not too brittle etc) you could attempt to do a "birds beak" mitre which is taking half the thickness of the back of the tile off at 45 degrees.Do this to both pieces and but together.The small channel is then grouted.Difficult to explain without a pic
Otherwise its a butjoint-as mentioned above prep the edges before fixing.

Personally i think trim is naff-if your a true craftsman you will want to finish your work without.
Get your rubbing block and files out-just like in the good old days!!!

D

DHTiling

the terminolgy you should be looking for is a birds mouth not beak...lol lol.....

Attachments

• bm.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited by a moderator:
J

jrm1

Hi there Leatherface - Just spent a small fortune on marble tiles (15mm thick) and intend to tile into recesses but have been wracking my brains about how to do this, seeing as you can't get round-overs made of stone. And we must agree, plastic would look naff.

So, thanks for your suggestion you posted on the tilersforum. I have a question though:
the variable speed grinder, is it an angle grinder or a die grinder? The air grinders I've found online all seem to have small probe-like ends and not a disc, as on an angel grinder.
You talk of changing sanding discs, so perhaps you use an angle grinder.
Have you used a die grinder? Would they give a better finish than an orbital disc?
If you're polishing in situ I would imagine a disc couldn't get into tight corners.
Loads of questions, I know. But if you could shed any light I would be ever so grateful.

G

Gazzer

Hi,

I am already at the stage where my tiler (who I wouldnt hire again) has my travertine tiles butted and now I need to come up with a solution to finish them nicely.

Given that the tiles haven't been pre-prepared....how do I go about polishing them to make the edge look better?

[DLMURL="http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Fein_Multimaster.html"]Tradetiler tilers Fein Multimaster[/DLMURL]
and TradeTiler.Ltd

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Mitred edges - 12mm travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi am tiling a wet room with 5mm thick porcelain mosaic tiles (hexagons 5x5cm). The wet room is...
Replies
Views
All, I have 600mm by 300mm porcelain tiles for the shower area. The girlfriend wants a vertical...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
J
Hi I am having the kitchen splashback re-tiled and there are a couple of corners. I really...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
B
Hi All, I am sure this is a topic discussed before and I have managed to dig out some historic...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.