Discuss Mixed wood/concrete floor preparation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Steve Evans

Hi, firstly I'd like to thank the forum for advice with tiling my bathroom last year....still looks good and no cracks or tiles have fallen off!!

I'm now tackling the kitchen floor and would like some input as things are not straight forward... The kitchen is approx 5m x5m. 1/4 of the floor was floor boards. This has been ripped up, the joists replaced/strengthened and 25mm marine ply screwed down. The other 3/4 is concrete with I suspect, no insulation and has a slight gradient of 15mm. I've laid the height of the Ply to the highest part of the concrete floor. The plan is to tile the floor with a slate style tile (not chosen yet) and have electric UFH.

My plan is to use 10mm Marmox boards over the whole floor and UFH/Tile on to the boards. Does this seem OK or is there a better solution? The cost is very much a secondary consideration as I just want the job to be right.

I was looking to install the Kitchen units onto the Marmox boards has anyone done this or will the units be too heavy for the boards?

Will it be possible to take up the 15mm unevenness in the concrete floor with the adhesive when laying the Marmox boards or will I need to screed the floor first?

Any replies/advice much appreciated. Cheers Steve

D

diamondtiling

The units will just damage the marmox sheets, I take it you are going to tile the whole floor and then fit the kitchen? In my opinion this is always the best way.
I would level the floor with a flexible one part SLC, its quicker than having to build up with adhesive, once done fix the insulation boards and cover the UFH with SLC, you will need an expansion gap between the timber and concrete and to be on the safe side use a de-coupling membrane.

:thumbsup:

S

Steve Evans

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't going to tile the whole floor as there are lots of units and there didn't seem to be much point in tiling under them, but I can do. The idea of putting the Marmox boards under the units was to add some insulation to an uninsulated concrete floor, but it's no good if the units will compress them.
How much depth would adding a SLC over the Marmox boards and a de-coupling membrane add? Correcting the floor, adding a 10mm Marmox board and say a 10mm tile will already have increased the height by 35-40mm. I was also hoping to get away without expansion joints as this will leave 2 random lines across the kitchen floor. I was hoping it would be OK to lay the Marmox boards so they span the wood and concrete and use a flexible adhesive. Cheers Steve

D

diamondtiling

Spanning the timber floor with marmox boards wont negate any movement that will naturally occur, a de-coupling membrane allows for movement without having an expansion gap on show. The slc over your ufh is just to protect the wires so that if you have a broken tile in the future it will be easier to replace, it will also help with the heat retainment. This slc will be as deep as your wires, about 4/5 mm.

F

fox

Hi there, my first post so go easy!
First of all apologies for hijacking the thread but I have a similar situation to Steve and would appreciate your advice.
The area of my kitchen is approx. 20 square meters and the bulk of this is made up of 22mm OSB on joists. My problem is that I have a small area of concrete approx 1.5m x 1.0m where the old chimney hearth is, and where a range cooker will sit. Following the advice above, would I need to provide a decoupling layer over the full area of the kitchen? Or, could I be more economical and use it locally to the chimney breast with say an overlap of approx. 1m onto the timber floor? I appreciate I would have a discrepancy in levels but could this be made up with more adhesive? or is there alternative approach that I have overlooked? I am keen to reduce the floor make up thickness as much as possible as mrs fox wants 25mm thick tiles with wet UFH of approx.18mm thickness.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

D

doug boardley

Spanning the timber floor with marmox boards wont negate any movement that will naturally occur, a de-coupling membrane allows for movement without having an expansion gap on show. The slc over your ufh is just to protect the wires so that if you have a broken tile in the future it will be easier to replace, it will also help with the heat retainment. This slc will be as deep as your wires, about 4/5 mm.
If an expansion joint is needed (which in this case it is) I'd still bring it to the surface rather than de-couple over it Dom.

D

diamondtiling

If an expansion joint is needed (which in this case it is) I'd still bring it to the surface rather than de-couple over it Dom.

I think I would be a bit aloof if I did not hold my hand up here and admit to a mistake. :oops:

Thanks Doug for clarifying my error, it is a good job that I have never had to tile over wood and concrete because it might have failed. That info has been logged in the grey matter.

:thumbsup:

S

Steve Evans

Not great pics but hopefully make it a little clearer... PICT1857.jpg PICT1858.jpg

Reply to Mixed wood/concrete floor preparation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mixed wood/concrete floor preparation
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks