Discuss Mixed wood/concrete floor preparation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Steve Evans

Dave, I spent a good bit of time replacing all the joists and floorboards with 1" marine ply and made sure there was no deflection, so I'm happy this will be ok. I need some insulation over the concrete, as I want to install U/F electric heating. Is it possible to get something that decouples and insulates? Otherwise I guess I'm looking at a decoupler and Marmox boards. If this is the case which goes down first the boards or the decoupler?
Many thanks Steve

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Steve, you can get expansion joints in many different colours. to blend in with your tiles, you can even make your own as I did on this job

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 221
  • ex2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 210
  • ex3.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 198
  • ex4.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 240
  • ex5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 206
S

Steve Evans

The floor is now finished so thought I'd post some pictures of the work. A big thankyou to Phil Hobson who did all of the prep work and laid 90% of the tiles. I just did the cutting and grouting....so don't blame Phil for the quality of those bits of the work!!
Would recommend Phil to anyone, a great bloke to deal with and very knowledgable, not just about tiling but all the aspects of of the preperation and the materials to use. As I found with many DIY projects the amount of knowledge required and the number of products available gets a little overwhelming. It's at times like this you need the experience of a professional like Phil.

Some pics of the work...

Floor Screeded

PICT1880.jpg

Marmox Boards on top of screed

PICT1883.jpg

UFH on Marmox Boards then Ditra Matting

PICT1888.jpg

Laying out tile patern

PICT1889.jpg

Phil Playing noughts and crosses :lol:

PICT1892.jpg

Finished floor Porcelain slate look a like.
PICT1899.jpg

PICT1903.jpg

In some ways the photographs don't do it justice.
The light of the flash seems to make some of the tiles darker than they really are.

PICT1904.jpg

Really pleased with the end result. Big thanks to Phil.

Cheers Steve

Attachments

• PICT1902.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 189
  • PICT1882.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 164
  • PICT1884.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 191

Reply to Mixed wood/concrete floor preparation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Mixed wood/concrete floor preparation
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.