UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 'Mobi' Websites and EMS Media in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

CDS

Anyone come across EMS Media / EMS Internet? Had them on the phone today offering a .mobi website and various other benifits for £99 plus VAT annually. Not actually sure that I need a .mobi website....so would appreciate your thoughts on this and also if anyone has come across EMS?

My initial reaction is that the offer sounds too good to be true - so it probably is .....but done a very quick search and feedback isn't horrific!

Will probably tell them to bog off when they call back tom but thought it worth seeking some advise/ feedback first!

Many Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I have. A customer of mine moved from them. Cheapish the first year (although his website wasn't ranking) and he faced a large bill the second year (might have been third). They wouldn't dish out FTP details to him. And they charged the same fee to leave them as to renew with them. I said cut your losses as the domain name was advertised elsewhere. He paid the fee and has been with me since, about 3 years now. It's cost him a lot less too.

I haven't taken on new web design work since back then so I wouldn't be able to help you. But look for an optimised website and expect to pay around 500 quid for the first year, and about 50 quid every year thereafter. In some area's it can pay for itself in months.

If you do go with EMS. Make sure you look at the contract fully before agreeing anything, and make sure you're happy with the fees if you stay or leave them in a couple of years time. Ideally though it needs to be an optimised website and the one I took over wasn't, and it didn't get the guy any business in.

C

CDS

Thanks for the info Dan, much appreciated. I already have a website (very out of date but it is still current and ranking) the offer from EMS was for a new .mobi site linked to run in conjunction with the existing site. Is there actually any benefit to having a mobi site?
Don't think I will be taking EMS up on their kind offer! But wondering if I am missing a trick that I should be following up with another company?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I have a general rule, and that is not to entertain unsolicited sales calls or door knockers. If I want something I will go out and look for it and then make a decision based on what is right for me.

About a year ago I had TalkTalk trying to convince me to switch to them, because of the great Broadband deal. Didn't even use the net then, only via phone, so pointless having it. They were adamant it was the deal for me. I can't repeat what I said to them.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Thanks for the info Dan, much appreciated. I already have a website (very out of date but it is still current and ranking) the offer from EMS was for a new .mobi site linked to run in conjunction with the existing site. Is there actually any benefit to having a mobi site?
Don't think I will be taking EMS up on their kind offer! But wondering if I am missing a trick that I should be following up with another company?

No benefit at all in having a .mobi site mate. You can get your own website to have a custom style for mobile browsers if you look into it. Nothing needs to change. And it's always best to just have one website with one lot of content on it. It is actually a bad thing to duplicate content on another website. Both end up losing importance and neither are unique.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I have a general rule, and that is not to entertain unsolicited sales calls or door knockers. If I want something I will go out and look for it and then make a decision based on what is right for me.

About a year ago I had TalkTalk trying to convince me to switch to them, because of the great Broadband deal. Didn't even use the net then, only via phone, so pointless having it. They were adamant it was the deal for me. I can't repeat what I said to them.

Same as me mate. I must be one some database with no name attached to our landline number. When they ring they always say 'Im looking for mr jones' or some made up name. When I say you've got the wrong number they ask who is speaking. They want me to tell them so they have my name now. I don't, and they start waffling on about some deal that would benefit the homeowner anyway so I should listen.

I'm registered with TPS so shouldn't get sales calls but still do. Often from India.

J

jonnyc

is there anyone who designs websites for alot of the members of this forum who can be recommended
I need something really stylish .
I havent really found anything i really liked when loking on internet tiling websites.
the top garden designers really seem to have cracked it for looks adn tiling ios very visual as well.
I have tried doing my own and have started running in to problems with wanting a carousel .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
No mate, but you could do. It's using wordpress which is free. The hosting for the account you'd expect anything between 30 - 60 quid a year. And then the template design for that site was about 50 quid.

Orrrrrrr, you could get somebody to do it all for you if you send them all the content and photo's, and you'd expect to pay about 300 quid. And if you want it well optimised (which you do), about £500.

We'll be recommending a design firm soon which will be able to do any of the above for / with you if you're not in a rush.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 'Mobi' Websites and EMS Media in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Google Adwords are running an offer at the moment and are giving away £75's worth of free...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
D
Hi guys, I stumbled across this site at the weekend when searching online for some DIY bathroom...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
I often take note of who our members are using to build their websites with and I'm noticing...
Replies
Views
U
... the longer I'm on here the less I understand: if you love your work so much and are keen to...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
U
Been dithering whether to write about this and decided to just in case this ever happens to...
Replies
Views
user123
U

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.