UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tough lessons in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Not at all Gary!! No, just really upset about the whole thing and thought I won't be the only person this may happen to - accepting to do something, then finding out that what was intended wouldn't be legal, having to put a stop to it all, I explained it all, and that's exactly how it was.

This forum is supposed to be sharing experiences so that others may not make the same mistakes, and I put it specifically into the Forum Arms so it would not be public but surely this isn't wrong?

U

user123

sounds absolutely shocking,especially the way her attitude changed when she wasn't getting what she wanted but then again trying to tell customers whats feasable and what isn't is always a pain in the ***

The customer was never unpleasant, David, just disappointed and reacted accordingly.. I liked her actually, which made it all even more difficult..

U

user123

And after this experience I feel that copyright issues should be known to customers, tilers and artists alike. You don't want customers asking you something you are not allowed to do, or be the tiler who says it can be done, or the mosaic artist saying yeah I'll do it. It doesn't matter which link in the chain it applies to, we just have to know, because three people lost out because three people didn't know here.

S

Spud

And after this experience I feel that copyright issues should be known to customers, tilers and artists alike. You don't want customers asking you something you are not allowed to do, or be the tiler who says it can be done, or the mosaic artist saying yeah I'll do it. It doesn't matter which link in the chain it applies to, we just have to know, because three people lost out because three people didn't know here.
gisela for your information i never told you to copy sicis work or told the customer it could be copied and actually told her no artist would copy another artists work ,i told her that a mosaic artist could make something similar and that it would cost around £1000 per sqm this customer also wants a mosaic sunflower if you google mosaic sunflower over 10,000 images of sunflowers come up are these also in breach of copy right ,no, the sicis link was sent to you to give you an example of what she was dreaming of having but could not afford and set as an example of the high standard she wished to achieve i will not be drawn into a slanging match over this but have been so embarassed by the fact that you are keeping her money that i have offerd to pay her the £250 she is out of pocket
Gary

U

user123

gisela for your information i never told you to copy sicis work or told the customer it could be copied and actually told her no artist would copy another artists work, I told her that a mosaic artist could make something similar and that it would cost around £1000 per sqm this customer also wants a mosaic sunflower if you google mosaic sunflower over 10,000 images of sunflowers come up are these also in breach of copy right ,no, the sicis link was sent to you to give you an example of what she was dreaming of having but could not afford and set as an example of the high standard she wished to achieve i will not be drawn into a slanging match over this but have been so embarassed by the fact that you are keeping her money that i have offerd to pay her the £250 she is out of pocket
Gary

As to the design, Gary, the customer wanted three to five large waterlilies and sunflowers over the area in the Sicis colours and the same photograhic style, which legally would have been an imitation. Of the £500 deposit for the glass and designs, she had various design options from me before and after the copyright issue. I sent her a cheque for £263.05 pence today with the copy of the glass and mesh bill so she can see it was covered exactly. That was as a goodwill offer on my part I put to her in writing instead of sending her the glass as she had requested which I knew she would not be able to use in the end. She told me on the phone two days ago she would not ask for a penny of the deposit back but to send the glass so she could make the mosaic herself. I sent her the cheque and supplier details and glass colour codes if she ever did decide to go ahead with the project herself.

At no point I felt there was an issue with you at all, as we only had three (I think?) communications with each other, but I did forward you the emails sent to the customer so you would be kept informed. Where does the idea of a slanging match come from?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

Sorry Gisela , we dont have an Issue I was just surprised to see this thread with references to copying and copyright as from my understanding you were never asked to copy anything simply sent a link of what the customer had seen and liked and asked if you could produce something similar in size and colours I totally respect your decision and feel it was the right choice for you to make if you was uncomfortable with it but why have you decided to post this here ?the reason why i will be paying them the money they are out of pocket is that they only commisioned you after reassurances from me that you were capable and willing to do the job but i guess that my tough lesson so no hard feelings and good luck with your future work
Gary

U

user123

Sorry Gisela , we dont have an Issue I was just surprised to see this thread with references to copying and copyright as from my understanding you were never asked to copy anything simply sent a link of what the customer had seen and liked and asked if you could produce something similar in size and colours I totally respect your decision and feel it was the right choice for you to make if you was uncomfortable with it but why have you decided to post this here ?the reason why i will be paying them the money they are out of pocket is that they only commisioned you after reassurances from me that you were capable and willing to do the job but i guess that my tough lesson so no hard feelings and good luck with your future work
Gary

Oh Gary, that's just it - until very recently I thought copying just meant exact copying. I can send you the page on copyright that was sent to me, and I was shocked to discover that imitation is classed as copy, that Sicis sees it as that etc etc and are known for very aggressive lawsuits...you have no idea the backwards and forwards that has caused in me trying so hard to combine customers wishes with legalities. But I really appreciate what you just said, thankyou.

And the thread on here, surely will hopefully help avoid others going through the same thing? To be honest I've been dead misearable for days, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Good luck to you, too, Gary, and I did appreciate the lead, really. :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tough lessons in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Trying to choose tiles for my steam/shower room. Would like mosaic for ceiling & seat, and a...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first post so here goes, advice needed. It was decided that I should renovate...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.