UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Moleanos Tiles Looking Stained afterfitting 6 weeks ago in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

ronron

Hi,

I have had a builder fit my two bathrooms with Moleanos White sandstone tiles onto "Wedi Boards". Tiles are 10mm thick

After 6 weeks, heating on for 4 weeks, extra heaters for a week and now a de-humidifier for 3 days the tiles still look asif they are drying out but i think they are stained, see the photos.

Any advice on what the problem could be?

Attachments

• Stain Marks on Tiles.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Stain Marks on Tiles2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 127
D

DHTiling

Was the adhesive a slow set one..?.. this will allow more moisture to ingress back into the tile as it does not hydrate quick enough to prevent wetting through the tile... most look fully bedded but as mentioned the back buttering has not fully covered the tile backs hence the uneven wetting marks.. normally you trowel the walls and back blade the tile to bed, this in turn will be even colour change of tiles if effected by moisture.. but moisture sensitive stone should be fixed with a suitable rapid setting adhesive to minimise this staining..

Just to say the wetting you have there might dry out once the tile expels all the moisture within it...

Hello and welcome
do you know if your tiles been sealed?
if so I would recommend stripping sealer of as it will help for moisture
evaporate, wouldn't recommend stripping tiles off yet,
you might find out that tiles will dry out and will look as they should,
At the moment all moisture is trapped behinde the sealer,
So if your tiles been sealed, strip off sealer with something like stain away
And leave it to dry for another week or 2
good luck

R

ronron

Thanks everybody for your input, as far as i know the sealer has not been applied and after 4 days of having a dehumidifier all that has happened is that my bathroom walls have dried out and split and my bathroom door has warpped so much that it will not close......

Does "Back Skimmed and Back Bladed" mean the same thing?, anybody got a phot of how that should look?

I have a meeting with the builder, the stone supplier and adhesive supplier tomorrow to try and resolve the issue so any more information would be a great help.

Thanks Ron

D

DHTiling

Not normally but with certain stones, then you must use an adhesive that is suitable for stone use and of a rapid setting type... this will not let moisture ingress for a prolonged time thus causing what you have there...

I can't see what tests they think will help.. imo it is purely wrong adhesive for stone type..moisture sensitive stones require rapid sets.. just my opinion though, so see what they come up with.

J

jonnyc

Just picked this thread up.like Pemba I have fixed thousands of mts moleanos over the years.
a number of good points have been made but I will repeat what I have found from my experience as not only a stone fixer but also stone restorer.
i have seen this patchiness many times.it is far more common when stone fixed with non rapid flexible adhesive.
the moisture migrates through stone bringing minerals from stone and polymer from adhesive to surface of stone. Water Moisture evaporates and leaves a stain on surface of tile.this has a slightly furry feel when compared to the surface of an unfixed tile.provided that all the moisture has worked its way out which I'm sure it will have by now,I would get a tin of lithofin wexa cleaner..mix a bit of wexa a 1:5 with water .apply with a sponge,keep wet ,don't let it dry in .scrub with bit of nylon pad and wash off.take a hair dryer and dry the cleaned part.best to try to halves of two different tiles to compare against a half not cleaned.
this works virtually every time.
rapid set adhesive should have been used as it would prevent this migration through stone as rapid set pulls moisure within itself.
i used to get a problem like this probably 15 years ago,when no one really understood about having to use rapid set.
I was using Ardex x7 slowset and ardion 90.i would solid bed stone but get a horrible yellowish stain all over tile.it would take as long to get rid of staining as laying the floor.
eventually I tried many different adhesives until I found weber stone set range.they had a slow set which by luck more than design did not stain stone.
i worked closely with weber rep and their chemists on this.
i then changed again when needed stone to dry quicker and now only use rapid.
The dark patches on your stone are where back of tile is in contact with adhesive.
the light parts are where there is no adhesive connected to back of stone and voids.
this patchiness is not seen on most limestones when you fix with slow set flexible.
its mainly moleanos,Turkish porous white ,apple stone and other solar stones.
give wexa a try. Would be interested to know if it works orm by all means call me

Reply to Moleanos Tiles Looking Stained afterfitting 6 weeks ago in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
I'm embarking on tiling a kitchen, wall-to-wall (under washing machine etc). most of the floor...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S
Hi All, I urgently need some advice and not sure where to turn. We are having some major...
Replies
Views
Rookery
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.