UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss moral dilema your opinions gratefully recieved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

Chris, what goes around comes around, for me the answer would be a flat outright no....he doesnt deserve any consideration...you think he even thought about you and feeding your family and paying your bills when he refused to pay...no he did not....The word is SMARMY.....now I want you to get blind drunk and have the worse hangover tomorrow morning so you cant even get out of bed and do the works...

Pebbs

D

DHTiling

Chris, what goes around comes around, for me the answer would be a flat outright no....he doesnt deserve any consideration...you think he even thought about you and feeding your family and paying your bills when he refused to pay...no he did not....The word is SMARMY.....now I want you to get blind drunk and have the worse hangover tomorrow morning so you cant even get out of bed and do the works...

Pebbs

Listen to this Lady...She speaks sense... not often but she does today..:lol:

my first thoughts were to say no way after all the trouble he caused me, but i would like my rep to stay intact.
I have told him that i will call around tomorrow to assess the damage and qoute him on rectifying it.......But it will be payment up front before i start. No way will i be done twice. Plus i hate the thought that a floor i spent time on to make it look like it did to be ruined by a few chipped tiles.

I had this situation myself. The 2nd job i did at the clients home was strictly payment before starting which was offered by the client. I too was hesitant but as she was to pay first i really didnt have anything to lose except my rep. I agree too that i didnt want anyone else doing the 2nd job in the same house and claiming the glory for a very flash bathroom if I do say so myself.
I got paid, did the job, she was happy, i was happy and a professional relationship was restored. But this is the cruncher....
I ended up doing another bathroom , toilet, and main entry all paid up front in full and as usual everyone was happy.
I also got 2 more jobs from 2 referals she gave for me.
you cant lose from this. As its been said by MG how good will you feel when everything has been put in order and you have pleased another client? Only you can answer that question.:thumbsup:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
would'nt touch it with a very long barge pole, would'nt even consider stepping foot, back inside his house, after what he did to you, all the stress he caused you, i would just sit back with a big smile on my face knowing he has a problem, NOTHING to do with you and hes struggling to get it sorted, i would also tell every other tiler i know not to go near him.

i have had a few customers i wouldn't work for again and thats the way you need to look at it , as a new job repairing a floor, not fixing your own work..

G

gleno

Yeah I wouldn't go near it, not after having to get a solicitor involved to get your money. I can't believe this guy actually had the gall to ring you about it- makes me think he could have an ulterior motive? I really don't think it is going to harm your reputation- just imagine what he has already probably said about you after the initial works? At the end of the day it's your call but just think how stupid you're going to feel if this job turns to disaster as well? I wouldn't be looking at it as payback either, more that you have just learned from the initial experience.

Glen

I can understand why some of the guys would tell him to shove it (being way too polite I know) I have had other clients that have done this and wished them to hell, But sometimes people really do need a second chance.

Nobody is going to judge you either way what you do. But I guarantee if you do what your heart tells you, you will be the hero and if it does turn to custard you will still be the hero and nobody has the right to say i told you so because they are not you.
But if it works out then you will be considered what we here in NZ, call a Bloody Legend Mate.
At the end of the day what really matters is how you will feel about YOUR decision.
Yeah Yeah I know i'll be getting out my hanky soon:nopity:

U

user123

I can understand why some of the guys would tell him to shove it (being way too polite I know) I have had other clients that have done this and wished them to hell, But sometimes people really do need a second chance.

Nobody is going to judge you either way what you do. But I guarantee if you do what your heart tells you, you will be the hero and if it does turn to custard you will still be the hero and nobody has the right to say i told you so because they are not you.
But if it works out then you will be considered what we here in NZ, call a Bloody Legend Mate.
At the end of the day what really matters is how you will feel about YOUR decision.
Yeah Yeah I know i'll be getting out my hanky soon:nopity:

Definitely. That can go either way from where I'm sitting, both can be seen as weak or strong from different angles, but only you'll know what the ideal scenario would be for you. Consider it a luxury to be back in control with this. In this case this guy needs you way more than you need him, so that must be quite satisfying in itself? :)

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Is this the guy that wanted all your stuff gone early at the end of every working day? The same guy that said you'd done a great job but didn't fancy paying? the guy who locked you out and left the last of your stuff on the lawn?

Now the same guy wants your help and you're actually thinking of doing it??!!? :mad2:

U

user123

Is this the guy that wanted all your stuff gone early at the end of every working day? The same guy that said you'd done a great job but didn't fancy paying? the guy who locked you out and left the last of your stuff on the lawn?

Now the same guy wants your help and you're actually thinking of doing it??!!? :mad2:

As ever, you have a great way with words... :lol: put like that.. hmm... :lol:

C

CJ CERAMICS

just to give you an update on this.

called round this morning to inspect the damage and price to repair, guy was as pleasant as can be.........then started haggling over the price claiming I WAS TRYING TO RIP HIM OFF bearing in mind all costs are being paid by flooring company.

Told him that that was the price but even if he offered me double money i would not be touching it and he will have to get the flooring company to arrange repair themselves.

Decided that as i did the job ages ago and have had no recommendations from it I probably could live with him bad mouthing me to his friends....cos live is too short to worry.

thank you for all your opinions

chris

U

user123

called round this morning to inspect the damage and price to repair, guy was as pleasant as can be.........then started haggling over the price claiming I WAS TRYING TO RIP HIM OFF bearing in mind all costs are being paid by flooring company.

Told him that that was the price but even if he offered me double money i would not be touching it and he will have to get the flooring company to arrange repair themselves.

Decided that as i did the job ages ago and have had no recommendations from it I probably could live with him bad mouthing me to his friends....cos live is too short to worry.

chris

Oh my God, that guy really takes the biscuit, he's not right in the head, is he? :lol: But well done, you got the best of both worlds, you tried, he failed, (again!!) all good for you, bad for him. Wow. Enjoy your weekend :thumbsup:

T

The D

chris
I would have gone on the morning and got the money of him and then told him to do one. See if he likes having to get a solicitor involved.

Reply to moral dilema your opinions gratefully recieved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey there Firstly thanks in advance for any replies or comments. I've got a tiler in atm who...
Replies
Views
Hi there I ordered 160sqm of 90cm x 90cms of matching Large Format Porcelain tiles. 105sqm for...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
I have just had my bathroom floor tiled which opens up to a landing. The landing is being...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.