Guest viewing is limited

Discuss more black Limestone! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tobyb

Hi

I am having a similar problem with my black limestone.

I purchased two tins of LTP Stone Oil for my patio which is about 60 sq meters, but only used a bout two thirds of a tin. Thinking I had put it on sparingly and with no excess to remove the patio was still very tacky after 24hours, I waited for another day to pass and no change, it has now been 5 days and the oil still has a tackiness to it under bare foot and wont dry. I assume that I have put too much oil on the flags and not taken off the excess, although I used it very sparingly. After speaking to LTP they advised that I could remove the residue with hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush, but this had no effect. They also advised rubbing it off with white spirt, I have also tried this, but it has not removed any of the oil and remains just as tacky. I tried rubbing it with a cloth, scrubbing brush, scourer and and even a soft wire brush!!! Now I am getting really frustrated.....

Please could you give me any advice on this, I have read the above posts and it looks like the only thing that may remove the excess oil is LTP Grimex. Is it worth giving it a try or is there anything else out there what could solve my problem?

I appreciate any help.

Many thanks

233sqn

How is it now?

Your experience is exactly the same as ours. We have a great looking patio, but it was very tacky, especially in the warmer weather. Now it’s turned cooler it’s not noticeable, but I’m concerned how it will be next summer.

We spoke with LTP and they suggested we should just leave it and let it weather in, and that eventually it would lose its tackiness. They said it had turned out like this as we had previously used Thompsons and that had prevented the stone oil from being absorbed. However we had used an aggressive mix of Grimex prior to the stone oil as advised for this very reason. One thing they were adamant about was don’t use any stone intensifier on it….

Ours looks great at present, but I’m concerned about the tackiness. When it rains there are huge white bloom patches, but they clear as soon as the rain dries. I can live with that .

It seems there is still much to learn about getting nice deep rich black limestone patio!!

Reply to more black Limestone! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
P
Hello I have laid black limestone :-( and now have quite bad cement staining. I power washed...
Replies
Views
Paul Munro
P
S
I recently posted a question concerning some 600 x 600 x 10 limestone tiles I have fixed to my...
Replies
Views
Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall
J
M
We had black limestone laid in May this year. At first it looked great... It had 2 coats of...
Replies
Views
Jelthetiler
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
more black Limestone!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.