Discuss Mosaic border in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,just working on a bathroom fixing travertine look ceramic with a tumbled marble mosaic border the customer has purchased from Topps what a nightmare the mosaic is, the problem is the backing its so dense that no adhesive can get thru to stick to the marble and some of the mosaic are coming away have any of you chaps had this problem,customer has picked up on it,I dread to think whats going to happen when I start grouting. :mad2:

Last edited:
I think he's saying that the addy can't go through the mesh to contact the back of the mosaic so the only thing holding the mosaics to the wall is the mesh and that is failing.

Not really fit for purpose if that is what's happening.
Yes that's correct I've never come across mosaic with the backing that is so dense its not like normal mesh its got me a bit worried just hope it hold's after grouting but as said customer has picked up on it ,so I told him to show Topps not that they will be bothered.

Yes there is a separate shower area I have been sticking them back with adhesive its just been a nightmare of a day,cant believe that Topps can sell this rubbish ,Ive fixed loads of marble mosaic and the mesh has been fine,but in future I will try and steer clear of this mosaic was going to put the name up but will do tomorrow, so you chaps will know what to expect.

This might be a dumb suggestion but are you sure you're sticking them on the right way around and the backing isn't in fact a soluble mesh that's soaked off after fixing?

I realise these are usually paper faced but some bright spark may well have come up with an idea using card/mesh instead.

No they are the right way I have done loads of mosaic over the years the mesh is very thick I think to hold the weight of the marble have never had this before,the customer is aware of the problem and accepted for me to carry on as he still wants the mosaic border has just been a pain to fix.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Mosaic border in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have enjoyed a vast difference in tiling work this year. I am just finishing a wet room -...
Replies
Views
Aston
A
J
Hi everyone I've done several trades across construction, and the thing I struggle most with is...
Replies
Views
Having read part of the nightmare mosaic thread (and I concur with the comments, shocking) I was...
Replies
Views
K
Hi, I'm having my ensuite refurbished with ceramic wall tiles laid in a brick effect with a...
Replies
Views
David - Tradetiler
D
R
Got a customer with one full wall with mosaic border running through, however on some of the...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB