Guest viewing is limited
  • Thread starter steve.martin
  • Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 2K
  • Tags
    usa

Discuss My names steve but all my friends call me yetti in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steve.martin

i am not a pro tiler but a keen D.I.Yer but like everyone here i am keen to learn been referbing the bathroom and come to the same problem as many others it seems tiling on green chipboard having looked at the responses to other people questions i am still confused as some say ok others no it appears i need to consider
a)is the floor solid ?
b)is there heating of any kind under the floor ? as apparently this heat can soften the wax treatment in green chipboard and thus laminate your tiles
c) the correct adheasive ? needs to be flexible and so possibly does the grout (bal spf) as anyone tried the new unibond tile on timber
d)luck ? as some have had no trouble and some have had nightmares

personally i think iam going to try a test tile as im not in a major rush as we have a second toilet and shower

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Hi Steve,

Pro tilers wouldn't tile to it. If you went ahead it doesn't necessarily mean it will fail but if it did and we asked you for the spec we would tell you the substrate is at fault so why risk it.
I do lots of bathroom floors and most of the modern builds have this. I secure the chipboard into the joists at regular intervals until it is as solid as can be. I then glue and screw 6mm cement board down (I use NoMorePly) and then solid bed fix the tiles using a single part flexi bagged cement adhesive and flexi grout, my personal choice would be Mapei keraquick and their ultra colour grout range. (If raising height of floor isn't an issue then you could use 18mm WBP ply which will cost about the same as NMP.
Personally I wouldn't touch the unibond stuff and most on here wouldn't either.
You could ignore this advice and get away with it but don't be surprised if it fails months down the line. Most advice offered on here isn't about what you may or may not get away with rather more how to do the job right first time with no comebacks.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Couldn't agree with macten more mate. A 'test' may work well for 12months. We have quite a few people on here at the mo who are seeking advice on jobs that are starting to fail 18months down the line. And one or two tiles may work for a long time, but the whole floor once done could fail much quicker due to the amount of extra weight and lack of flexibility in the floor being fully tiles, whereas one or two tiles would flex with the floor much easier.

Reply to My names steve but all my friends call me yetti in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
My tiled bathroom floor is new but I have moisture seemingly seeping up through the grouting in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice. 2 years ago we had a new kitchen fitted and...
Replies
Views
Bit of an intro - I'm a competent DIYer and have been refurbing the bathroom on and off for the...
Replies
Views
L
Hi guys, its my first post on there though have been gaining useful tips for a while so thanks...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
My names steve but all my friends call me yetti
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.