Discuss My trowls are now hung up for good in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikebidd

Morning this isnt a thread about me needing encouragement god knows you lot have given me enought off that!

I did the job i mentioned but whilst doing it the members off family kept slipping up on different trades men they had fallen out with a roofer a stonemason a prevouse tiler and a joiner....

So i started to get a bad felling abad getting paid. Any way really needed the brass for today so stopped on job till half past 9 last night as i wanted to lay floor and grout it same day.

i had dry laid it day before using 4mm spacers so thought it was ready to go until the customer came in said they wanted 7mm spacers down and said they wanted them instead!!!!

So i shaved all the floor tiles down again then they complained that they wanted the ply put down differently I didnt think it made a difference how it was down as long as it covered all the joists???

Any way laid the floor waited 4 hour (it was red hot yesterday) then grouted it in white.

Waited for customer to get back as they had to pop out (conviently) they didnt turn up so went back today where i was told you should never use white grout on a floor????????????????????????

And i should have used the brown that was in the shed I dont know about you but i cant read minds and im not going to route about some ones shed.

So now i have to go back monday to dig up grout and re do it.

I quoted a silly price on this job the room isnt that small and i quoted 200 to do the floor and walls (against the advice on here)

Ill finish it then giving up on the tiling.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You often find it's probably best that you don't get the jobs when the customer is all about price and not quality of workmanship and products used. Let some other shmuck get those jobs and you keep your chin up and keep marketing the business.

Sounds like that's wasted advice for the couple in this thread who sound like they've decided what they want to do. But perhaps useful for some others who may read this in the future.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Hi Mike,

My advice mate for what its worth ,dont let one bad experience put you down mate,i'll bet a pound to a penny that all the experienced tilers on here still get a little pull on thing on occasion( no-one is perfect)sometimes its your fault other times its down to the surfaces etc that you have to work with.

Me personally dont like using white grout on floors but will do if thats the grout the customer has(how on earth were you supposed to know they wanted brown grout without them saying) always clarify what the customer wants before you even give a price.

Never go in cheaper than there lowest quote,never let them dangle the carrot of future work and always point any stumbling blocks out to the client.

And never ever volunteer to do any extra work i.e loosing the sanitary of the wall etc(if you break something while doing such then you are liable).

Final bit of advice,don't give up even though your confidence maybe knocked you are only new to the trade and we all had to start out somewhere,when i was new to the game i gave a mate a quote of £25 for his bathroom walls and never got the job,he paid someone £300 pound for the job and they messed it up,he then paid me the same to put it right(i was doing him a favour with the cheap quote as i was only learning and he was a mate) since then i have never wavered on my price and when a mate asks for tiling i charge em double what i would normally .

No favours and no friends in buisness is motto now:thumbsup:

Good luck Mike ,hope you stick with it mate:thumbsup:

M

mikebidd

Image021.jpg

Thats the job half way through me cleaning it up

C

CJ CERAMICS

Mike dont give up tiling because of this job mate!
some customers are just trying it on......and if it makes you feel better (though it prob wont) a customer i did a bathroom for this week (started monday while they went to the caravan for a few days) 4 walls at a height of 1200 mm from floor with a mosiac border on top...finished in a brushed aluminium square edge profile....has just rang me to say that she doesn't feel that she should have to pay me because the field tiles only finish at a height of 1197 mm from floor......and i am not kidding lol.
chris

T

Time's Ran Out

Some people are not cut out for working on their own!
From the posts that I've read Mike it seems to have been tough for you over the last 6 months, and not just with the tiling! Its very rare that we can all do the type of work that we enjoy as a hobby and its then that you have to take stock of your life and make tough decisions - others on this forum have changed direction and are trying something new.
I'am sure that everyone who has read your posts wish you well for the future and good luck.

Reply to My trowls are now hung up for good in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
My trowls are now hung up for good
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.