Discuss My trowls are now hung up for good in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikebidd

Well its an asian family and a few generations live there (big house) iv always had someone litterally standing behind my shoulder watching that is no joke or exagertion. One off the brothers who in his own words is abit poorly in the mind came in last night after the brother had left conviently and said my brothers not paying you whilst giggerlng.

Today when i went back and was told it has taken me so long (3 days??!!) becuse off my lack off expierence and that if he wnted too he wouldnt pay me. i explained that if he wanted too do that i would remove everytile back off the wall there and then.

He also keeps saying he has loads off houses and contracters working for him that could have done a quicker and better job which is a bit off a kick in the teeth.

M

mikebidd

Some people are not cut out for working on their own!
From the posts that I've read Mike it seems to have been tough for you over the last 6 months, and not just with the tiling! Its very rare that we can all do the type of work that we enjoy as a hobby and its then that you have to take stock of your life and make tough decisions - others on this forum have changed direction and are trying something new.
I'am sure that everyone who has read your posts wish you well for the future and good luck.

Thanks mate for your words i quite like working on my own tho i havent really done a job where im working with others. I dont like the bitchyness that goes with it. and i also dont do the talking behind some ones back bit i just say it straight too them. which has got me in trouble before now as the wife says i stick up for people too easily lol

Ill still be about the forum i like the banter and the wllingness for so many people too offer there advice and expierences too others

its a nice thing that

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
Well its an asian family and a few generations live there (big house) iv always had someone litterally standing behind my shoulder watching that is no joke or exagertion. One off the brothers who in his own words is abit poorly in the mind came in last night after the brother had left conviently and said my brothers not paying you whilst giggerlng.

Today when i went back and was told it has taken me so long (3 days??!!) becuse off my lack off expierence and that if he wnted too he wouldnt pay me. i explained that if he wanted too do that i would remove everytile back off the wall there and then.

He also keeps saying he has loads off houses and contracters working for him that could have done a quicker and better job which is a bit off a kick in the teeth.

this guy is nothing more than something on the bottom of your shoe mike,,do not ever let people like this make you change what you want to do mate,,may i ask have you been paid for this job yet mate?

M

mikebidd

No i was meant to be paid last night hence why i stayed so long yesterday but he disapeared.

Went back today had a "heated conversation" with him and the things i need too do are.
1) dig grout out off floor
2) re grout floor
3) theres a piece off ply next too door frame that flexs badly which he says i was meat to tile it about 15mm wide and runs from floor to cieling. even tho im sure i said he would need to paint it.

Ill do it tuesday and i simply wont leave till im paid. Ill be back in 45 mins wife has finished watching britans got talant and wants pc lol

T

The D

Hi ya i no how you feel i have been at it for 24 years ihave had to post here it will not let me post in new threds.I to am give up no work for weeks and done all the running around i can, got a new job to lookforward to going into health care aplyed for job in jan so a long wait start 21st june thanks to you all and big thanks to Neale:thumbsup:
you will be back. you cant keep a good dog down.

F

fergy7197

mike - this is one of the downs - the up has yet to come mate!

the guy is talking utter rubbish - if he had contractors that work for him he would have had them in in a jiff pronto at a mega cheap price.

In my experience and this is no means racist, asian customers do tend to be a bit funny, whether its the price(which they will ALWAYS haggle on), they always have a mate that could have done it but he is too busy etc etc. Even my own best mate who is asian - just says its in there culture! thats what they do!

chin up mate - looks a cracking job to me!

get paid, go spend it knowing its the fruits of YOUR labour!:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

Mike think positive mate, your letting things get you down. We all have swerves that blindside us from time to time, deal with them in a positive way and stand your ground. Work out what your weakness's are and strengthen them. I went to quote a job today and I know I was the most expensive because the customer told me so. I got the job because I went into detail about prep work and made the customer want me to do the work. Its all about having the ability to make sure your customer knows they are in safe hands.
You appear to be in round 11 of a boxing match and the score cards read even, push a little harder and you will win.

:thumbsup:

S

surflaur

This guy is an idiot. He is nothing but a verbal bully. I have never walked out on a job but I would on this one. I know it's been 3 days hard work but do you want to spend any more time there?

Don't hang up your tools yet there are plenty of good honest customers out there.

Advice for the future, I always write an estimate stating what materials and coloured grouts I will be using. It takes time but its worth it as back up.

All the best with whatever decision you make, Laur

M

mikethetile

Mike

your noy going back tuesday to change the grout, you used the grout provided and if they wanted a different colour they should have brought it to you, its not your job to choose the colour of the grout or to hunt for it on their property

monday get yourself to citizens advice and start legal proceedings, it is a criminal offence to have work done with no intention of paying for it

dont mess about mate, toughen up, your in business and dont let a conman rob you of what is yours, how can you provide for your family if you let them away with it

if its any consolation I went through the same idiots when I first started years ago, I had to learn the hard way

dont bother with threats to remove the tiles, you cant do it and they know that. stay away from them from now on and just let your court summons do the talking for you

M

mikebidd

Cheers mike as per usual.

I do like tiling alot as iv said before. But i dont think i can make a living out off it i dont think im good enough for that yet,

Ill give all the local tilers on google a ring and see if any one wants to take some one on. Its not as if ill learn what i need too then bugger off because ill stay as long as im needed.

If your in the wakefield huddersfield bradford leeds area and you get a call from a number starting 01924 507 then its me :lol:
Ill also try and sort out the car breaking bit and doo that as well.

I cant do the court thing mate as i cant afford too ill go do what needs doing then ill sit and wait till im paid.

M

mikebidd

THE TEXT MESSAGE I HAVE JUST RECIEVED.

You have failed to adher to our agreement The job has now been given to another contracter due to the incomplete works. I dont intend to discuss this matter any further. if you call tresspass on the grounds of the premises will avert police action.

We agreed monday OR tuesday i couldnt go today as teachers training day. the oncomplete works means the inch wide ply that i thought he was going to paint.

S

Slowly Learning

Hi Mike Ive read enough! This bloke is one of those customers who never had any intension of paying up no matter how good a job you have done. Dont be down on yourself and more to the point DONT LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT! Get down the C.A.B. or follow the link put up by faithhealer and get after your dough the right way. This numpty owes, you end of mate.

Im a new starter and am struggling to make ends meet, I have had a couple of jokers who think im still wet behind the ears or who push there luck and I know how down heartening it can be.

You have done a job and now you need to get paid. Im sure the more experienced lads will be posting all sorts of advice on here now telling you who to contact and how to go about getting your money so please follow there advise and do it. I would love to see this clowns face when it gets official he will back down just make sure you dont! Beleive me I am 100% behind you mate, keep posting updates. :thumbsup:

J

jamie B

I've just read thru this horrible saga and I feel really sorry for you mate, there's probably not a tiler on here who hasn't experienced this sort of situation at least once. I've had it before..when you realise the customer never had any intention of paying you it's a horrible thing and can undermine anyones confidence. BUT as previous posts have pointed out, this guy is in the wrong.you've done the work as specified..that money is now yours. The world is full of those sort of crooks, it's business..divorce yourself from emotion and don't let it knock you..stay rational and BELIEVE in yourself!!
As previously posted, the way to beat these jokers is be letter of the law and don't get involved in the stupidity, get advice on what steps to take legally and fire off an unemotional statement of fact letter asap...I know you're worried about the money, but don't forget you're in the right..the law does still work for us lowley manual workers. I was lucky when I started out in that I had guys I was apprenticed to who had years of experience to help me out when I went out on my own...the best advice they gave me was that those sort of bums have no luck eventually..believe in yourself and stick to your guns..what goes around comes around. In fact the first time it happened to me they put me onto a lawyer who would put the fear of god up anyone, he drafted up a letter for me for a small sum...find one and do it!
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater mate...I'm sure I speak for a lot of us when I say we've all been there..sincere best of british to you:thumbsup:

U

user123

Honestly, Mike, a text like that would scare me, too, big time.

And that is exactly what is intended, here, isn't it, to scare you. I hate horrible people as much as you, but take heart in the balance of attitude shown by your tiler pals on here, they are giving you support, use it to give you the courage to really go down the legal route, it may seem almost too much hassle now, but if your child was bullied, would you not want him to learn to stick up for him/herself?

That is what the law is for, to protect you, you are in the right, you know it, and it's time that moron customer gets to know about it. This is not just for now, this is training ground for your future, it will give you a little more experience how all that works and just hink how much it will do for your self confidence, which comes after experiences like that.

Perhaps this is a test how committed you really are to make a better future for yourself and your family? Don't blow it now, you have the law on your side to pass it and come out a stronger happier you. And make your family proud, they will want you to take charge, too.

Good luck, Mike, we are all routing for you. :thumbsup:

D

doug boardley

as above Mike, this bully needs stringing up and hanging out to dry:mad2: I actually felt that someone was gonna pull a fast one on me so I let it slip when he was quering my bill, that self employed have all sorts of overheads, the one that made him squirm was that I pay an insurance to my bank against non paying customers and then the bank with all their finances take the client to court if they feel that the report they had done warrants it. It was a load of bull from me, but the client soon coughed up:smilewinkgrin:

U

user123

Start with the middle column, where it says:

Register as an Individual

You should register as an Individual if:

You wish to make a claim against someone who owes you money. (That's you)

You wish to respond to a claim that has been made against you.
(Ignore this, this is just part of the form)

Then click on register, the next page you fill in your name and address, click on submit and then go through page by page... maybe a local friend, neighbour, family member can go through things with you?

The CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) might be able to help you complete it, too...

Reply to My trowls are now hung up for good in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
My trowls are now hung up for good
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.