UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss my wetroom diary! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dagger

due to a recent experience with some potential customers i have decided to share what i am doing this week, its a wetroom in se london.

i have constructed it from start to finish,

we all know that there are many ways to achieve a rock solid wetroom,
in this instance i have gone for a fibreglass reinforced.

i will keep this up for the rest of the week because my "potential" customer wants to see how i would construct his!

anyway,

here i have installed a wedi tray, a 1.5m2 heat mat and self leveled to tray height.

trayfitted.jpg

and here i have plastered all the walls so there is no holes around the tray and the walls are flat:

wallsplastered.jpg

today i fibreglassed and tanked the walls and floor, did a water check and all is well for tiling tommorrow!

tankingcomplete.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dagger

great post I love these kind of post's but more info would be great like which brand of materials you used and time scales.

a day to install and polyplumb the tray.
a day and a half to plaster the whole room including the two celings in that room (celieng over doorway).
a lonnnnnnng day to fibreglass the wetroom.
oh i forgot half a day to install the heatmat and self level!

as for the total materials i would use and how i do it i am going to keep it to myself, with all due respect this is how people try to "give it a go!" and thats how my potential client got shafted!

if you have any questions please pm me and i will do my best to help you out in your situations!

thanks, and i hope you understand!

P

Prem Tiler

No problems dagger understood.

But in all fairness, if a ''give it a go'' merchant were to gather info on how to install a wet room i think they are more than likely to of already got the job and going to do it regardless. I just think they stand a much better chance of making a success of it with your (a time served professional tiler) guidelines than trying to follow something out of a book.

Saying that I do understand where your coming from some times too much info can be counter productive to any industry.

And lets face it, My 14month old lil girl could do a better job than billy the kid did with that poor couples 'Damp room'

D

dagger

No problems dagger understood.

But in all fairness, if a ''give it a go'' merchant were to gather info on how to install a wet room i think they are more than likely to of already got the job and going to do it regardless. I just think they stand a much better chance of making a success of it with your (a time served professional tiler) guidelines than trying to follow something out of a book.

Saying that I do understand where your coming from some times too much info can be counter productive to any industry.

And lets face it, My 14month old lil girl could do a better job than billy the kid did with that poor couples 'Damp room'

thanks prem, however some things are better off kept in the tilers arms, oh and the do a great pint at £0.39p so thats the place i will be in!

D

dagger

what substrate did you skim onto dagger?, just wondering about your skim fully drying out prior to tanking.

as the photos show Doug it was plasterboard, but no need to worry, i was on other jobs back and forth, so no problems there, plastering had fully cured, but its a good point, always check your drying times people!!!!!

D

dagger

Hi All,

Today i went back to this wetroom job so i have a few more pictures:

so we continue,

a good practice when working with certain natural stones (mainly travertine) is to back fill the tiles with adhesive before you stick them in place make sure you fill all the holes!:

backfill.jpg

Anyway, that said and done prior to this photograph i had obviously cut the shower envelope and dry fixed it to check for square in the room!

an hour or two later i had fixed the envelope in place:

envelope1.jpg

and a bit closer in:

envelopeclose.jpg

neatness and continuious lines are paramount, this is the bit of the room EVERYBODY is going to look at!

anyway, after a bit of a break i put the rest of the floor in over the underfloor heating i had installed previously:

floorandenvelope.jpg

oh before i forget in wetrooms i always put the floors in first!
there are reasons for this!

so tommorrow i will be going back to start wall tiling, sadly the wall tiles come from b and q and not these nice 60 x 40 travertines,
oh well i dont pick em, i stick em!

D

dagger

hello all,

alright then, what can i tell you about todays events?

okay first of all i checked the entrance for level, this is so i can see if anyone has walked over the tiles before the adhesive has cured!!!!:

checkingnobodystoodonit.jpg

as you can see the digital bit of the level says 0.00 and there is no gap under the level.

this means the faries have not visited last night!!!:hurray:

the next think i did was clean up the drain and test the grate:

envelopewithdrain.jpg

all is good in the hood!

so now i am going to start tiling but the tiles have a protective wax on them:

removethewaxfirst.jpg

so i remove this outside before i put the tiles on the wall!
otherwise it gets in the grout, makes a general mess and is a right pain to deal with later!

and off i go:

tilingstarts.jpg

you should never dot and dab, ever, and especially not in a wetroom!

putasheetdown.jpg

after i have my first course in i put a sheet down,
this is common sence in any tiling situation but in a wetroom if a bit of adhesive gets in an open grout join you have to get it out,
and what are you going to use? stanley,grout rake, screwdriver?
any of these can be fatal to the tanking membrane so lets just work cleanly!

first wall is up and i am still not dabbin!

stillnotdabbin.jpg

no dabbin yet!

stillnotdabbinmore.jpg

mind you i did the plastering so if i was packing out i would look really silly now!!

anyway, first bit of tile trim goes in:

tiletrimon.jpg

and from the other side:

tiletrimon2.jpg

so were into day two of tiling and i am halfway (ish) round the room!

thanks!

D

dagger

good informative posts dagger !! how much a pain was it getting that wax off and why not grout floor before tiling walls so no crap goes into joints?? :thumbsup:
get the wax off with a stanley blade (easy peasy)

as for grouting the floor:

if you grout it you get crap on it and have to do a serious clean,
if you dont grout it and work clean, you dont need to get the grouting gear out or need to clean it!

i am a time and motion man me!:lol::lol::lol:

D

dagger

not much to report today as i spent most of the day pressure testing the new waste pipes we have installed (toilet waste, sink waste, and the trap in the shower!)
this is needed so we can show the building inspector that the new pipework we have installed are not leaking, the pipes must hold pressure for five minutes, and guess what, there was a pressure leak, so with bungs in all the pipework i began to isolate all the individual waste pipes and search for that pesky leak!!

found the leak hours later and it was a bit of tile adhesive on the bung in the basin waste pipe creating a space so the bung could not seal the pipe properly, cleaned the bung, plugged it back in, checked the pressure gauge and called the building inspector!:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

i managed to do a little bit of tiling but only 1 wall so not much to see:

wallgoingup.jpg

walluphigher.jpg

watertesting.jpg

D

dagger

Hello all!!

back to work today on the wetroom in SE London,

after a coffee and a minute or two i started tiling:

firstwallgoingup.jpg

Someone on this forum must have loved my advice about putting a sheet down after the first course was on the wall because i could not find that sheet ANYWHERE!

anyway, an hour or so later:

firstwallup.jpg

the next thing i had to do was put in the wall that goes over the entrance, always a little tricky so i reached for my phone to call my mummy, not really i just put the kettle on again!

after my beverage:

returngoingin.jpg

i start to put the wall up, still struggling with the +/- 2mm difference in size of the tiles. (b & q people!).

a bit later i had this:

returnin.jpg

and the other side:

othersideofdoor.jpg

and a bit of a wider angle:

doorwallwide.jpg

so, all that is left to do is the two returns and ceiling that forms the entrance to the wetroom, i will do them tommorrow and grout the lot.
siliconing and a small repair to the floor in the bedroom (i did not lay it or break it) will have to wait.

needless to say i wont be doing all that tommorrow!

thanks

Dagger.

Reply to my wetroom diary! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for me while i tackled our new build. A...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 59001
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.