Discuss Natural Stone Flooring Advice - kitchen problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RRout

I called House of Harmony this morning and the chap in charge doesn't work on a Saturday so I've got something of a problem! The lady who was there is insisting I need to go there today to choose a new ceramic or porcelain tile or one of two natural stone tiles that "can be put down on floating floors" (is this possible? Judging by all the advice here I'm assuming it's not). Unfortunately I'm recovering from an operation and can't go anywhere. Avoiding problems like this while I'm ill was precisely why I went to a kitchen firm that did everything. I took Dave's advice, was reasonable and said I'm happy to pay for a new floor to be put down to take the weight of the marble and I'm waiting to see if she can reach the boss. The problem is they're due to start putting the kitchen in on Monday and he's not there until Monday. I've managed to not not lose my temper so far but this really is something they should have realised back in August, not three days before starting! If they can't do the floor I may be back on here looking for a good kitchen firm in the Bury St Edmunds / Suffolk area very soon!

R

RRout

Thanks Enduro, starting to realise that! Sadly, probably like a lot of people, I only thought of looking for an online forum after having problems with the kitchen firm. I should have researched first but to be honest I thought going to a "quality" firm that does the whole lot would rid me of any hassle, research etc. I just wanted a good job done, went to people claiming to be experts and thought the hardest job I would face was signing a cheque. Lazy I know, but as I've said I've been concentrating on getting well!

E

enduro

Thanks Enduro, starting to realise that! Sadly, probably like a lot of people, I only thought of looking for an online forum after having problems with the kitchen firm. I should have researched first but to be honest I thought going to a "quality" firm that does the whole lot would rid me of any hassle, research etc. I just wanted a good job done, went to people claiming to be experts and thought the hardest job I would face was signing a cheque. Lazy I know, but as I've said I've been concentrating on getting well!

At least they have not started, and your calling the shots. Just stick to your guns on this one.

R

RRout

Brilliant advice all round guys (and possibly girls!? Don't want to be sexist!). I read Dave's post down the phone to boss of the kitchen firm (he called me back eventually) as he had no idea what to do...few minutes later and he's spoken to their builders and it's not a problem, they start work putting in the new frame for the floor on Monday. I had to be pretty hard with him, threaten to walk away etc (felt guilty as he seems a nice guy) unless it's done properly but I got the best result.

I honestly can't recommend this forum enough - last night I was in a blind panic and now it's all sorted...hopefully, I'll let you know if the builder runs into problems.

D

diamondtiling

floating floor is just that!...t&g 18mm/22mm floorboards that go onto battens that directly sit onto the concrete with damp proof under the battens then 45mm/50mm poly insulation then plastic membrane then yout t&g floorboards are nailed or screwed to the battens ,basically the whole floor can and does flex!...personally i wouldnt tile

Jona re-read the thread mate, they had a problem and now they don't because they followed the advice given from the forum.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Natural Stone Flooring Advice - kitchen problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Natural Stone Flooring Advice - kitchen problem
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.