Discuss need a new van... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bubblecraft

Transit every time for me. For £3k it would be a Mk 6 transit. You could pick up an 05/06 for that.
A SWB will take an 8'x4' at an angle but take up the whole loading space of the van, a MWB will take an 8'x4' tight to the bulkhead, a LWB will take an 8'x4' with just enough room to get in the side loading door. A jumbo will give you full access to the van via the side door with an 8'x4'.

This site will give you loading lengths, overall lengths, widths & weights.
http://www.fordtransitdirect.co.uk/newsales/newvans/transit/technicalspec.aspx

I prefer the 2.4 Duratorque, RWD models.

Last edited by a moderator:

merit

TF
ive got a vivaro, its been a good van but i got it at two years old, ive had it for about 5 years now, but i find its bit too small for all my tools and materials , great if its only tiling stuff, but its a squeeze getting plastering stuff on as well , 8 by 4 sheets go in on the angle but take up loads of space im looking to see what work shows up this year and go for the transit mwb with the higher roof, theres a lot of rubbish vans about that dont warrant the money, some have been battered down motorways then sold on as fleets, garages are best but you pay a prenium for some peice of mind, i always think its a bit of a lottery anyway best of luck

I

Ian

I've got a Vivaro Andy, great van but, if I'm honest, you will get better value for money from a transit and parts are cheaper. Mine has been really good to me mainly because its ex AA and has been very well looked after. Just had a clutch in it and that was £700 :yikes:, I don't like the look of the transit that's why I chose a Vivaro, silly I know! So to sum up, get a transit, probably a MWB if you carry a lot of 8x4's, unless you are a ponce like me and drive a van because it is pretty, then get a Vivaro :lol:

B

Bubblecraft

I don't like the look of the transit that's why I chose a Vivaro, silly I know! ....unless you are a ponce like me and drive a van because it is pretty, then get a Vivaro :lol:

How can you not like the look of a Mk 7 transit? ;) It's an awesome looking van! I've always had transits from a Mk 5 to a Mk 6 then a Mk 7. My dad had the Mk 3 & Mk 4.

I would base your purchase on the service history & not the millage. A transit will go on forever if looked after properly. I've got 155k on a 2007 model. I've replaced the leaf springs only in the time I've had her. Parts are cheap & easy to get a hold of. The same faults are common & easy enough replaced like EGR valve, corroded brake lines etc. The downside is the rust around arches, sills & back doors so check these out first.

B

Bubblecraft

I have a Trafic, bought it new in '07.
Damn good van but bigger one would suit better for us.
I have 65k on the clock and reckon 5k is about its worth now :(
The Transits are fine although some of the mates say fuel consumption is high on some.
Silly problems too but all vans can get them.
I like the Transporters but too many plumbers drive them, lol.

Transporters are great if you have a cash & carry

Joking!

I

Ian

How can you not like the look of a Mk 7 transit? ;) It's an awesome looking van! I've always had transits from a Mk 5 to a Mk 6 then a Mk 7. My dad had the Mk 3 & Mk 4.

I would base your purchase on the service history & not the millage. A transit will go on forever if looked after properly. I've got 155k on a 2007 model. I've replaced the leaf springs only in the time I've had her. Parts are cheap & easy to get a hold of. The same faults are common & easy enough replaced like EGR valve, corroded brake lines etc. The downside is the rust around arches, sills & back doors so check these out first.

Ford are really lazy with the transit styling, all they ever do is change the headlights, I do like the look of the new one though, due out this year I think.

B

Bubblecraft

Ford are really lazy with the transit styling, all they ever do is change the headlights, I do like the look of the new one though, due out this year I think.

Can really see you jumping in your new transit, covered in adhesive, dust, silicone when it looks like this
ava8e2a2.jpg

I'd be too scared to touch anything incase it got dirty lol

B

Bubblecraft

I have a 03 plate traffic lwb with high roof.Ive shelved it for all my tools and can get 8 x 4 sheets in and swing a small cat in there .As with any van you can be lucky or unlucky when it comes to problems with them.Ive been thinking of upgrading mine but cant help thinking i might end up with someone elses problems if i do :thumbsup:

There's always that chance. A good check of the service history can soon sort that.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I have a 03 plate traffic lwb with high roof.Ive shelved it for all my tools and can get 8 x 4 sheets in and swing a small cat in there .As with any van you can be lucky or unlucky when it comes to problems with them.Ive been thinking of upgrading mine but cant help thinking i might end up with someone elses problems if i do :thumbsup:

know what you mean, its a bit of a mine field...

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
It's all offset against your tax bill Andy, and you will generally get at least 3 months warranty from a garage. I'd rather have that personally.

I've never bought a car privately either, always through a garage. We have a great family run Ford dealership near us and I bought a 6yr old Ford Focus years ago and they gave me 12 months warranty on it :thumbsup: They must trust what they sell to give a warranty like that, but I'm sure not all garages are as generous as this

Reply to need a new van... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

E
So I'm having trouble with a customer relating to grout (Bal Micromax) I have tiled 70 sq...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
hi all i need a new van so i can get all my plastering / tiling gear in particually 8 by 4...
Replies
Views
D
K
Please help - I know nothing about paving/tiling....!! We have just had some sandstone paving...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
M
Tilers please read My name is Michael Hart, Im 28 from Daventry *********, This may be a bit...
Replies
Views
MikeHart
M

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB