Discuss need help with adhesive! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

Onlinetiler

Re: need help with adhensive!

There are some adhesives that specify they can be tiled directly onto chipboard but there are split opinions as to whether chipboard has the torsional rigidity to withstand tiling or whether there'll be too much movement and overlaying the chipboard eradicates that issue.
Literally all of the jobs I've witnessed tiled directly to chipboard have failed soon after installation - maybe due to incorrect adhesives but can't say for sure. IMHO it's surely better to go belt and braces with a decoupling mat or cement board overlay etc so you know there'll be little or no chance at all of failure.

R

roscopeco2000

Re: need help with adhensive!

its a ready mix soluction its kind of white emuslion stuff, surley it doesnt matter what your tiling onto as long as its braced right?also the tiles 600 x 600 so the weight they recieve is sprend better?the wall adhensive is a powder stuff.I was looking for a tile primer in b and q the guy told me you could use a water proof pva mixed at 5 - 1 to seal the chipboard, so you mostly seem to think my flor is going to fail???

D

david campbell

when you are tiling onto p.v.a primed substartes you are tiling onto the p.v.a not whats behind it,if for any reason this comes into contact with water again it will become active(back to it's original wet state) thus causing the tiling to fail,also chipboard has a tendancy to rot with moisture making it unsuitable for tiling,just afew of several reasons why not to use p.v.a and tile onto chipboard

R

roscopeco2000

But surley if the floor is sealed properly no water should get under to the chipboard or for that matter pva?also i thought the idea of using watered down pva is that it soaked into the chipboard giving the chipboard a waterproof coating ,so the moisture from the adhensive doesnt get drawn out into the chipboard?.ok what is the cheapest and best way i could cover the chipboard?(with minium thickness)The tile is stuck hard now!what a diaster this is turning into

D

DHTiling

Chipboard is not structurally stable enough to tile too direct.. it is a particle board and not suitable at all.. PVA..Have read a of this.. P.V.A. Versus Primers

The tile will not be stuck hard.. it will just the the adhesive around the edges.. sort of like a picture frame effect and it does not have enough tensile strength to hold the tiles in situ.. totally wrong adhesive full stop.

It needs to come bacl up and the proper prep done and then suitable adhesive used.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it will fail very quickly as it is.

D

Daz

Chipboard is a composite material and thus can delaminate. This means that it cannot be considered as a stable substrate. Any porous substrates should be primed with an acrylic primer which will penetrate the substrate surface and form a secure bond. PVA is basically wood glue and even when watered down will only form a skin over a substrate so you will only ever be fixing tiles to a wood glue skin and not securely bonding to the substrate.

As for your issues, I would remove the tiles whichever way you can as the dispersion adhesive is unlikely to be dry in the middle of the tile, so once you have broken the bond around the edges, they should come up with little resistance. You would be best to overboard the floor with 6mm cement boards which are fixed with a flexible cement based adhesive and then screwed at 150 to 200mm centres with a 4 x 20mm screw (that way you can be sure that you will not pierce a pipe).
I'm assuming that your tiles are porcelain if they are 600 x 600 so leaving them stuck is not an option as the adhesive you have used is not designed to bond porcelain (it must be flexible).

Sorry, but it is a case of rip it up and start again. And remember, the staff in a DIY shop are trained to sell products, they rarely have construction experience so their advice will only ever be basic.

Sorry,

Daz

Reply to need help with adhesive! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Which Tile Adhesive and grout brand did you use the most in the last 12 months? And also...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
need help with adhesive!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.