Discuss Never cease to be amazed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

german guy Rainsco uses photoshop I think but seeing his stuff did give me the idea to go and try and learn cad drawing and my drawing board takes up too much room in my office, its slow going to be honest Rob I am starting getting used to the interface and drawing tools for the 2d drawing after buying some training manuals and tuition cd roms and I am going on a training day in January, hopefully after that I will be up to speed on the 2 dimensional stuff then its just practising before I try the 3d stuff, funnily enough I was told that Photoshop is a much more useful program to learn so as usual I am probably wasting my time lol

C

Colour Republic

german guy Rainsco uses photoshop I think but seeing his stuff did give me the idea to go and try and learn cad drawing and my drawing board takes up too much room in my office, its slow going to be honest Rob I am starting getting used to the interface and drawing tools for the 2d drawing after buying some training manuals and tuition cd roms and I am going on a training day in January, hopefully after that I will be up to speed on the 2 dimensional stuff then its just practising before I try the 3d stuff, funnily enough I was told that Photoshop is a much more useful program to learn so as usual I am probably wasting my time lol

I recently paid well in to the thousands for one of the main cad kitchen design programes, I told them I didn't want the training which was an additional £500 as I didn't have the time to spend with them. Now i'm pretty handy at this sort of stuff but damn it is taking some time to get my head around it, that £500 looks a bargain now!

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

I visited an American Swimming pool company about ten years ago when i was thinking of working over there, they had a very good CAD tool for selling there pools to customers, so i had a go and it blew- my mind LOL but a great tool for selling the pools, if you can visit a customer , then two-days later give them a picture of how the finished job would look!! and a technical drawing ,and cost..........a clincher ....

S

Spud

I visited an American Swimming pool company about ten years ago when i was thinking of working over there, they had a very good CAD tool for selling there pools to customers, so i had a go and it blew- my mind LOL but a great tool for selling the pools, if you can visit a customer , then two-days later give them a picture of how the finished job would look!! and a technical drawing ,and cost..........a clincher ....
Thats my thinking Dave I do enjoy the hand drawn technical drawing sometimes draw up jobs , the cad drawing is so much quicker and more accurate it is something once you get good at you could produce drawings for every job , trouble is some customers may take your designs and use their own prefered tiler so its a tricky one to know how go about making the design drawings and showing them to the customer with out them pinching them

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Thats my thinking Dave I do enjoy the hand drawn technical drawing sometimes draw up jobs , the cad drawing is so much quicker and more accurate it is something once you get good at you could produce drawings for every job , trouble is some customers may take your designs and use their own prefered tiler so its a tricky one to know how go about making the design drawings and showing them to the customer with out them pinching them

I could be wrong but I think you own the design until they sign the order with you. If someone could tell me otherwise.

C

Colour Republic

which program is it ?

ArtiCAD-Pro

There are 3 main players in kitchen CAD all similar prices but I chose ArtiCAD because it is well supported by the manufacturers, they all supply their graphics so I can choose the exact kitchen i'm designing rather than a generic one that looks like it, some 60 odd door suppliers. The version I have also has the bathroom design attached to it, again suppoted by a lot of manufacturers Roca, Tyford, Hudson Reed... even a few tile brands Porcelanosa, Original Style but no where near the same support as the kitchen side.

Great programme and have been thinking about getting it for years. Cost was always an issue as really it is aimed at kitchen studios that are doing 20+ designs a week where as you know kitchens and bathrooms only account for 30% of my business. So per design cost is far more than a sole kitchen studio. I do like it a lot but not really suitable... in fact not anything like I imagine you would want, unless you are getting in to the bathroom design and supply business, in which case the bathroom only package might be good for you

C

Colour Republic

As an example Gary, this is some flash ******* that knows the software inside out and all the shortcuts, granted it's not a great layout design but start to finish in 3 minutes! Compare that to me currently who would take 3 days :lol:

The version he's using is infact an old version and the rendering is much better now but still.

[video=youtube;NS8aulvtxI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS8aulvtxI0[/video]

the following one is to how to use the tile features on the bathroom side of arti-cad, again this is an old version which is much better now but gives you an idea.

Great for showing generic designs, but if you're mainly doing bespoke I think you'd be better off with other software. I assume the one you're trying to learn now.

[video=youtube;xIUugIxpxPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIUugIxpxPs[/video]

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ajax has just become favorite at 4-1 :lol:

Only messing with ya Alan!

I agree it doesn't really matter, just seems silly to me and set up for the wrong reasons but hey I could be wrong. I just found it a bit shocking really.

Only 4:1... Would've thought it worth at least 7:4 :)

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I could be wrong but I think you own the design until they sign the order with you. If someone could tell me otherwise.

No that's not right unless you include in your conditions a clause which signs over your copyright as part of the deal. If not, and it is an original work, whether generated through cad, free hand or by pushing cornflakes around a board, you own and retain the copyright until such a time as you consciously relinquish it. It is unlawful for anyone to "steal" it and claim it as their own. It would be perfectly lawful for them to come up with the same design if they can demonstrate that they have come up with the same design without reference to your work and independently. I think the main difficulty would be demonstrating that it is an original work if it's done on CAD as these systems have a modular approach to the creation of drawings and the same design can probably be arrived at by several people independently at the same time.

In terms of suing someone for copyright infringement it is really only feasible if loss or damage can be demonstrated. This usually implies financial. Otherwise you end up using someone for stealing something that is actually valueless in real terms.

C

Colour Republic

Gary going back to what you said about photoshop, do you own it?

Only ask because a few months back Abode were giving Photoshop CS away for free because they said they weren't going to support it anymore, now considering it was worth £600+ plus just 4 years ago, it's a pretty good thing to have if you don't own a newer version.

No idea if the official link is still up but i'll check. If not let me know and I can upload it somewhere for DL

J

jonnyc

gary , i was championing rainsco not just as one of the best tilers on this forum some tme ago but also the way he is portraying himself by using the projected before and after imagery.
he is miles ahead in this field of any of us and i suggested a long way back that he has a great template to advertise his expertise.
I am not sure that if i copied his presentation it would help me that much but for a man that does the whole bathroom fit he is years ahead of any competition here.
i know you gary have worked in germany and i have but not as a tiler but i think we have both seen that rainsco is taking a different angle and if applied to uk market there is certain sucess.

J

jonnyc

Jonny I am more going to be going down the route of geometric patterns and custom floor designs but yes rains co is a great tradesman look up rod katwyk on the john bridge forum and guezeman these guys are equally amazing in what they are doing they have a Facebook group called tile geeks there are some truly incredible guys out there and if you stand still you get left behind
gary i will look this up.
i actually think we are in a great and creative space in tiling world.
the last time i saw this was in early 1980s with terracotta and slate.
what we have now is a fanatstic array of material albeit stone or porcelain and i truly believe
that the new products available require an experienced tiler to fix.
I am confident in my prediction that there will be a reversal and true artisans will be appreciated
in the future

Reply to Never cease to be amazed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We are redoing our bathroom and had a long discussion on tanking with our handyman who does...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB