Discuss New bathroom installation - Floor question in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

richardlee

Hello Guys.

I have just removed my bathroom flooring, back to bare joists. The room is 8'x6' and I will be laying 16" square travertine tiles.

I have read through the posts and spoken to a few people on what to fit as a base, it's all going to be new, wastes etc so floor height isn't really an issue but the lower the better.

I was thinking of the following:
18mm ply screwed to the joists with zinc screws and tanked, then tiling directly onto this. I thought that the ply would provide the rigidity whilst the tanking would prevent moisture ingress into the ply. Is this a good way to go?

I have seen recommendations on using tile backer but from what I have read, tile backer is good when battened to a wall as is does not fail when saturated but on top of ply it seems that it would simply be providing a good tiling surface, but I would still need the ply for rigidity, so the tanked ply would be good enough anyway. . . ?

I have also read that some just tile directly to marine ply, any thoughts on this?

Thanks guys.

Richard.

C

charlie1

I would be inclined to use a decoupler such as ditra aswel, this will both prevent any moisture ingress and isolate any expansion in the timber. If you dont use a decoupler then you risk your timber floor tearing your tiles appart. Also, add extra noggins between the joists. Cement backer board will eliminate deflection in your floor and everyone would advise you use this on top of your plywood

Ideally, 18mm ply, then 6mm backerboard glued and screwd then ditra then you can tile

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stewart

I use Weber AD250 for priming the back and edges of Ply. I use Weber SPF for sticking the NO More Ply down. I then screw it down at 200mm centres. If using No More Ply, you need to prime the front and back of the boards too. This is the method I use when there is no underfloor heating involved.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1548.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 61
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New bathroom installation - Floor question in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB