Search the forum,

Discuss New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 51481

Hello tilers,

My name is Caley and I thought I would introduce myself to this forum that I stumbled upon having done some preliminary research. I really do the value
forums such as these as they are a fountain of knowledge and truly help inexperienced people such as myself from making mistakes, costly repairs and avoiding getting ripped off by nefarious characters.

I have just project managed two single storey extensions having only ever dabbled in light DIY and I've made a a few errors along the way but nothing insurmountable.

My current project is to lay a new floor in a kitchen diner, we're at 2nd fix stage so it wont be long until its flooring time!

One of the errors that I made was allowing the groundworker to take the floor levels off the wrong DPC so I have a new concrete base that is 40mm lower than that the existing floor make up of the house.

This has caused me a few nights of restlessness and I've been looking at various flooring options such as engineered wood and porcelain tiles and we have settled on the latter. My main concern is how to increase the floor height by 25-30mm in addition to the 10mm tile. The options I've looked at are screeds, self levelling compounds and thick bed adhesives and ultimately I'm looking at the pros and cons for these three options.

So that's where I'm at the moment and would welcome any advice at this stage.

Cheers
Caley

D

Deleted member 51481

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I wasn't even aware of backer boards yet they sound like a good alternative and a cost effective solution!

My initial question would be what if you need to achieve different height thresholds to match the existing internal floor in the existing house (40mm from concrete slab) and external bifolds door cill which ranges from 15mm to 25mm across the width of the doors which span 4 metres ?

D

Deleted member 51481

Here you go chaps

IMG_5097.JPG

D

Dumbo

Thanks, they're not cheap though at £150 per sheet 1200mm x 1200mm. I don't need waterproof versions so are there cheaper alternatives please as had a search and can't locate anything similar?
Who is going to do this work for you or are you doing yourself . Because you need somebody that can think laterally and has a decent skill set to get what you want to achieve and for it to look good .

D

Dumbo

Incidently the tiles are quite large 800mm x 400mm so I would imagine they're not as forgiving as smaller tiles.
To be honest although there are some tiling gods on here that deal extra large format on a daily basis 800 x400 is still a large tile for a lot of people . Personally I think you may struggle but I don't know how useful you are at taking advice and transferring that to what you are doing .

Reply to New DIY tiler introduction Screed issues in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement