Guest viewing is limited

Discuss New member, new challenge, opinions welcome in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

kaiser Soze

Hi all
Am residing in Adelaide, South Australia, having spent 25 happy years in London and found this helpful site whilst looking for tile info.
Having picked out the info I need for my project I would like to run this solution by you all for approval/opinion!
  • Tiling the family/dining room - 45 sq Meters
  • original concrete foundation 'slab' 25 years old in good nick- I think
  • I have chosen 500mm porcelain Italian tiles (off white Loft tiles)
  • I intend laying them square to the room
  • so, remove old tiles
  • leave skirting boards on wall so new tiles can use space underneath SB for expansion
  • grind off old adhesive
  • add self leveller where needed - set out
  • using 12mm rounded notch trowel
  • back butter the tile
  • place on combed adhesive
  • press down adding 3mm spacers
  • Tap with a bubber mallet and/or padded wood thingy to maintain levels
  • check with spirit level, move on
  • ... and so on.
QUESTIONS ARE
has anyone heard of or use LASH levelling system. It looks like a good idea for a weekend warrior like me, but ...?
is my thought on SBs correct or should I pull them off, tile, then put back on?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. many thanks!
(boy I miss Timothy Taylors 'landlord". Do they still make it? :beer_yum: ...in a straight glass though)

Hi there Kaiser Soze and :welcome: to the forum :thumbsup:

Your plan of attack sounds fine mate :thumbsup:

I would just remove the skirting boards to be honest and then re-fix after tiling - it just saves a lot of messing on whilst tiling and trying to fit your new tiles under as well as not having lippage to the surrounding tiles, also if your new tiles are 500x500 they are likely to be thicker and if your talking about self leveller as well then you may not even fit them under the boards anyway:smilewinkgrin:

M

mikethetile

:welcome: as above I would remove skirts and refit , makes your life easier

I think the general concensus is that lash clips do work and prevent lippage and sudden slump etc, but the floor does need to be level so as not to leave any voids on tiles that have been pulled up level. the reason we dont use them is the time factor, it takes time to set them and remove them

I would rather spend that time and not have lippage

good luck. enjoy it and if you have any questions on layout etc . fire away

K

kaiser Soze

Great replies from all, many thanks.
Rats! I was hoping to avoid taking off the skirting boards.

Some more questions!
Do I really need to leave a expansion gap underneath the skirts, (concrete slab and brick walls!?).
What do the pros use as a straight edge when laying the initial tiles down? Just a snapped chalk line or do they butt up against a solid edge like a plank?
Im thinking of cutting the porcelain tiles with a grinder/diamond saw and the big cuts with a hired wet saw.
Do i need the wet saw at all? I've heard a lot of people just use a grinder!

Thanks again everyone

Reply to New member, new challenge, opinions welcome in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
New member, new challenge, opinions welcome
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.