Discuss new tilers, kneepads, wear them! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dougs Third Go

okay the long shot is I've had trouble with my left knee since early teenage years as a result of a mis-diagnosed sports injury. Now I'm 50 and with 6 ops behind me I'm not quite crippled but left with some hard decisions to make about my future. I was at hospital for an appointment with consultant yesterday and I knew it was serious when after looking at the x-ray he took off his glasses and asked if I had a good early retirement scheme in place...
he gave me 3 options..
1) retire now
2) have my knee and a few other bones broken to re-align my leg so it's not bearing weight on an arthiritic joint, this would make me bow legged and with only a 70% success rate, also if there was any arthritis in the joint behind my patella (kneecap) it wouldn't work, also it would mean 4 months off work.
3) carry on as long as I can.

there is a 4th option, changing jobs, not sure I can bring myself to do that though.

I know my arthritis is a direct result of my injury, but I asked the consultant if knee pads would have made a difference if I'd worn them earlier in my working life.
His reply was a resounding "YES!!", apparently in his estimation the arthritis would only be at 25% stage as what it is now.
On a lighter note, it is quite funny hearing an asian consultant say "Mr Boardley, in short, your knee is fecked"

G

Gazzer

So sorry to hear this Doug, This is why I bang on about my Redbacks....Or ANY other knee pads/pad. I can remember my dad telling me to wear pads or get " something" under my knees when I was starting out. I used to augh ...but well you know the story.
Motto....Wear knee pads....... NOW, ALWAYS !!!!!...well not while you are watching tv or infront of the PC but deffo while you are working.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
There is a 5th option that you've overlooked Doug.........
dog_on_wheels.jpg :sofahide:

okay the long shot is I've had trouble with my left knee since early teenage years as a result of a mis-diagnosed sports injury. Now I'm 50 and with 6 ops behind me I'm not quite crippled but left with some hard decisions to make about my future. I was at hospital for an appointment with consultant yesterday and I knew it was serious when after looking at the x-ray he took off his glasses and asked if I had a good early retirement scheme in place...
he gave me 3 options..
1) retire now
2) have my knee and a few other bones broken to re-align my leg so it's not bearing weight on an arthiritic joint, this would make me bow legged and with only a 70% success rate, also if there was any arthritis in the joint behind my patella (kneecap) it wouldn't work, also it would mean 4 months off work.
3) carry on as long as I can.

there is a 4th option, changing jobs, not sure I can bring myself to do that though.

I know my arthritis is a direct result of my injury, but I asked the consultant if knee pads would have made a difference if I'd worn them earlier in my working life.
His reply was a resounding "YES!!", apparently in his estimation the arthritis would only be at 25% stage as what it is now.
On a lighter note, it is quite funny hearing an asian consultant say "Mr Boardley, in short, your knee is fecked"

Sorry to hear this Doug.

On the topic of changing jobs.. Can you be selective on your work and not take on many floors?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
ha ha Pete, yep, as pic was loading I saw the red pendulous ears and thought maybe you meant a Vizsla trainer...then I saw the black nose and it all went pear shaped from there..:lol:

Training Vizslas! Or Some kind of obedience training school for working dogs. That's got to be an option if you had to go down the alternative career route mate

J

jonnyc

Doug I'm really sorry to hear about this.i think we are about same age or you couple years younger.
ive been told a year ago that I have to either have left knee replaced or break to realign which must be similar op to yours I imagine.
mine is cartiledge and ligament lack of and damage .
i have put it off for a year and it's getting too much but I can't bear thought of maybe not being able to carry on in same capacity as I could before. But really I have probably made things worse by putting off and I know I have to make a decision now in next month .
i have to get done whether retire or not .
my decision is to grow my business and just run it and see what happens.
we just have to get on with what we've got but I am very worried and know exactly how you feel right now.
hope your decision works out.

Reply to new tilers, kneepads, wear them! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all. We have employed a tiler to do our bathroom and floor tiles. We bought the tiles...
Replies
Views
hi, i am a virtually retired tiler (58), legs back hips etc etc. a friend carpenter (65) has...
Replies
Views
M
Hi guys, basically I'm enquiring to see if anyone of you's would be interested in an...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
A
Hi guys im over from the electric forum. Im getting my bathroom floor and walls tiled next week...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB