Discuss Newb in need of advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

Jay, if your going to attempt a job like that then you must allow for expansion because everything moves, especially in a 400 year old barn with lots of timber in it. Is the floor that bad that you need to latex it? or is it because its not level? You can have a flat floor that is not always level, trying to make it perfectly flat can cause some problems but over that size area you should be ok.

The screed and concrete? is there gaps between these? If so then they will need addressing and a decoupling mat will help minimize any lateral movement. The 6mm perimeter gap? I do 10mm and then fit the skirtings, I think you should persuade the customer that the best finish will be if the skirts are removed.

The prep work here is vital as are the different stages of cleaning and sealing the stone. Travertine tiles should be back skimmed to fill any holes prior to fixing and white flexible tile adhesive used.

Try and post some pictures.

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to view my thread and hopefully you experience gents and ladies if any on here wont mind me picking your brains! :smilewinkgrin:
My names JayJay, I am not a professional tiler but mainly buy and sell houses. Being that the market has been abit bad over the years I ended up starting a small tiling company to help with money as so far it has been fairly good. I enjoy tiling a lot as its a very skill full job to which you can look at a good completed job and think...'i did that'. I like to think I'm pretty handy at but here's the issue.
I have had the opportunity to price a floor tiling job with honed travertine tiles but haven't really had a go before. I'm sure some of you may end up telling me to leave it alone if I'm inexperienced but what's the best way to actually learn? I think its to have a go, as long as you not a complete cabbage I think it should be okay.
I reckon I know most of the theory in laying natural stone but I'm always happy to receive tips and suggestions from you masters out there. o.k I'm gonna stop rambling and give you the low down on this job. Basically I'm not sure what price to give as I would really like to get this job, it could lead to several other jobs which is always good and I have a few questions regarding the tiling. thanks

1) 48m2 floor which is a mix of screed and concrete which I will latex. How long should I wait before latexing onto fresh screed? theory is it dries at 1mm/day but obviously client doesn't want to wait for 4inches to dry.

2) Price for laying light honed and front filled 600x400 travertine floor tiles, 48m2 inc sealing many times and grout etc - brick effect to letex floor and just me
I've read/heard tilers say travertine costs more due to it being very time consuming due to sealing but how much more? I've read guys pricing £20-40/m2?

3) What's the whole reason behind leaving a 6mm joint all the way around any internal stud/external wall edges?? expansion? Won't this look really bad as the client wants to keep existing skirting down but it's mahogony stained? i could try and convince them to remove skirting, tile and leave 6mm joints away from walls and silicone these edges then he can put skirting on top hiding the 6mm gap????

Thanks a million in advance guys...I do have a few more questions but I just want to get these clear for myself first before overloading my noggin! :thumbsup:[/QUOTE

youv'e Got some big "Cojones" on you starting a tiling company not quite knowing how to tile.
But I'm quite happy to give a bit of advice.
48m2 is quite a big area and depending on layout you may need to look at putting expantion strips in approx every 25ft
All stone floors must incorporate provisions for independent movement and having 2 different sub structures makes it even worse.
Concrete expands and contracts at a very different rates to screed and stone tile. I wouldn't attempt that floor without using a uncoupling membrane, As for drying times you really should carry a moisture meter with you if your trading as a tiler. With the weather we have at the moment you would only be guessing on drying times.
These are just a few basic points, not even getting to the types of adhesives and grouts to use to prevent bleed through.

Have a good think about this one mate before you decide what to do.

C

charlie1

personally, I don't mind helping out a DIY'er on his own tiling project, and they find this forum very helpful for that, but don't take a-fence when you get the cold shoulder when were only trying to protect our lively hoods, just lately I have become very picky who I give advice to..

my thoughts exactly! Why do we share all our secrets with the opposition? Most of my best secrets where given to me as a favour so there not really mine to give to someone else.

D

diamondtiling

my thoughts exactly! Why do we share all our secrets with the opposition? Most of my best secrets where given to me as a favour so there not really mine to give to someone else.

This is a forum that helps people with tiling projects, if it isn't then I am missing something. If the writer intends to do it himself after all the advice given then that is what he should get.Otherwise what is the point of the forum?

C

charlie1

This is a forum that helps people with tiling projects, if it isn't then I am missing something. If the writer intends to do it himself after all the advice given then that is what he should get.Otherwise what is the point of the forum?

The point of TTF is for "tilers" to share there methods on how they do things. Going by the questions JJ is asking, he is clearly not anywhere near being a tiler and to be taking on this job at a paying customers expense could be both damaging for the customer and JJ! I will give out advice all day long to someone who is adamant at taking on there own job in there own house with a view to getting a good DIY result but I will never give out any advice to my opposition and I would advise every other tiler to do the same.

D

diamondtiling

The point of TTF is for "tilers" to share there methods on how they do things. Going by the questions JJ is asking, he is clearly not anywhere near being a tiler and to be taking on this job at a paying customers expense could be both damaging for the customer and JJ! I will give out advice all day long to someone who is adamant at taking on there own job in there own house with a view to getting a good DIY result but I will never give out any advice to my opposition and I would advise every other tiler to do the same.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Attachments

• image.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 24
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Newb in need of advice in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB