Discuss Newish (2years) Tiler - How Do You Guys Do It?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

McLovin

TF
Kent
Hi Guys & Girls

Iv been tiling for just over two years now. Needed a career change after years of unfulfilling jobs so decided to bit the bullet and go self employed. Started by doing a 6 week course then following a tiller round (chief tea maker) and started with small jobs. Im over two years in now and have not looked back. Still being new I stick to bathrooms (not wet rooms) and floors.

Anyway I have got to the stage where I am not able to ask other Tilers how they do things so opinions from you fine people please.

1: Window reveal - How do you guys keep the cuts clean around the window reveal. I use a rubi cuter but this leaves rough edges on tiles. Wet cutter (best finish IMO) is not an option for most jobs. I use sand paper to smooth off the edges and an electric sander some times but I am never completely happy. Is there another way. The long tiles on top of the window look the worst. I like to butt the trim right up to the tiles. I am after a finish to match the look of a non cut edge of a tile (within reason).

2: Battens - For example if I am starting with a full tile from the bath and run the tiles around the wall I batten it off. Question is how do you guys then work down. I am currently removing the batten when dry and laying the next row and battening it off again. This time consuming and a pain with solid walls. I end up holing the batten in place with silicone and wooden wedges. Is there an easier way?
I normally work in properties with terrible walls so If i need to pack it out trying to hold the batten in place becomes harder.

Cheers for the gems of wisdom in advance :D

Last edited:

McLovin

TF
Kent
Not sure what you mean around the window, cut with rubi or wet cutter are fine upto the trim or window?

Hey

For example today I was cutting a 60cm ceramic tile around the top of the window with my dry rubi cutter. Once snapped it leaves a jagged edge which is not even. Once trim is butted up to it and a different colour grout to the tile goes in its noticeable. I sand with sand paper and an electric sander some times. I am looking for other options really. My wet cutter weighs a ton so its not practical to use one most jobs.

Reply to Newish (2years) Tiler - How Do You Guys Do It?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Wall & Floor Tiler Queensland Australia Tile Right About the role Seeking a Wall & Floor Tiler...
Replies
Views
These are kitkats on a mesh backing. Not entirely sure how the tiler has managed to do this...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for some advice on how to set out my tiles. I think I have a solution but...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB