Discuss Newly drylined and skimmed bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pandabear

It's my first post here so a big Hi to all of you!

I am looking for a little advice, we are about to start a bathroom install in a loft conversion which has been drylined. The external wall was dot and dabbed with the internals and ceiling screwed in place. The room has been skimmed over the past week.

So the question is, is there a recommended time after skimming that we should wait before tiling the walls? It is likely be at least two weeks after the skim before the bath and pan connector are in situ, are we able to start tiling immediately afterwards?

Your advice is most welcome!

Thanks in advance

PB

A

Aston

british gyspum recommend screwing plasterboards when fixing large format or stone to dot and dabbed plasterboards. allow the adhesive to dry and then screw through the dots and 5 per meter. they also recommend 7-10 days for the board adhesive to dry and set prior to tiling.
seems like a day doesnt go by without something changing in this industry, its getting hard keeping up!!

W

White Room

british gyspum recommend screwing plasterboards when fixing large format or stone to dot and dabbed plasterboards. allow the adhesive to dry and then screw through the dots and 5 per meter. they also recommend 7-10 days for the board adhesive to dry and set prior to tiling.
seems like a day doesnt go by without something changing in this industry, its getting hard keeping up!!

Thats a new one on me Ed....

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Well you learn something everyday. I thought dot was the adhesive and dab was the action of dabbing it into plumb with a straight edge!!! haha - Not sure why though, nobody's ever actually explained that - I just seemed to have that in my head for some reason.

A whole bag per board, and then 12 screws too? Makes you wonder why we don't just render it! Though plasterboard was the 'quick and easy option'!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
W

White Room

Screwing is somethink I'v heard recently for standard boards,thermal boards are a different issue, extra dabs should be applied where fixings, sinks, radiators etc are being fixed/screwed to the walls...if the screws heads break the surface on the paper facing they are next to useless anyway....I learnt with British Gypsum in 1999 perhaps I should be asking for my money back I've been doing wrong all these years.

Reply to Newly drylined and skimmed bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I've got plasterers coming in next week to render the (brick) walls of my bathroom ready for it...
Replies
Views
Hello, I would start wit ha little back story. We've both a house where the main bathroom begged...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Im just after some advice on a project were currently on that has been wrought with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB