Discuss Newly drylined and skimmed bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pandabear

It's my first post here so a big Hi to all of you!

I am looking for a little advice, we are about to start a bathroom install in a loft conversion which has been drylined. The external wall was dot and dabbed with the internals and ceiling screwed in place. The room has been skimmed over the past week.

So the question is, is there a recommended time after skimming that we should wait before tiling the walls? It is likely be at least two weeks after the skim before the bath and pan connector are in situ, are we able to start tiling immediately afterwards?

Your advice is most welcome!

Thanks in advance

PB

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Never even heard of screwing dot and dabbing, except maybe thermal. And sorry jason :) dot and dab is called dot and dab cos of the dots of addy and dabbing down with your level/featheredge.
Has anybody on here tried to rip of dot and dabbing, if that can't hold upto, is it 32kg m2 for unskimmed? Then it aint done right.
And its dabs down each end, about 6" apart,(a bit like scews in a party wall) then same down middle,dabs across skirting and the top, and some around sockets so the board dont pull in when screwed. Well thats how we have done it since the 80s :) :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hzpbxe

A

Aston

quick update on this. i rang british gypsum regarding the screwing of boards and they now claim they only recommend mechanical fixing for thermal boards. they now stick to their origional claim that if you are fixing stone tiles to their plasterboards, then an extra horizontal bead of adhesive should be placed about mid height for extra strength.
ffs it comes to something when bg have tech reps giving contrasting advice.

ps dot and dab is a term that goes back a while. its not dots of adhesive and dabbing the boards. its easy to think that but thats not where the term comes from

dots are the same dots that are used to form screeds when doing internal rendering
the dots are set in adhesive and plumbed up using a straight edge and level. this is done at either end of the room and inbetween so it basically forms a grid on the wall..

tha dabs where 'dabs' of gyspum adhesive that where placed on the wall and then the baords where pressed into the dabs untill the touched the dots. when the baords touched the dots, then you knew the boards would be plumb, straight and perfectly in line.. old school way of forming a perfect wall. you use this method in rendering and dryling...

for rendering, its called....'plumb , dot and screed' the rolls royce of forming screeds
for drylining, its called, 'dot and dab'

hope this helps ;0)

Last edited by a moderator:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
quick update on this. i rang british gypsum regarding the screwing of boards and they now claim they only recommend mechanical fixing for thermal boards. they now stick to their origional claim that if you are fixing stone tiles to their plasterboards, then an extra horizontal bead of adhesive should be placed about mid height for extra strength.
ffs it comes to something when bg have tech reps giving contrasting advice.

ps dot and dab is a term that goes back a while. its not dots of adhesive and dabbing the boards. its easy to think that but thats not where the term comes from

dots are the same dots that are used to form screeds when doing internal rendering
the dots are set in adhesive and plumbed up using a straight edge and level. this is done at either end of the room and inbetween so it basically forms a grid on the wall..

tha dabs where 'dabs' of gyspum adhesive that where placed on the wall and then the baords where pressed into the dabs untill the touched the dots. when then touched the dots, then you knew the baords would be plumb, straight and perfectly in line.. old school way of forming a perfect wall. you use this method in rendering and dryling...

for rendering, its called....'plumb , dot and screed' the rolls royce of forming screeds
for drylining, its called, 'dot and dab'

hope this helps ;0)
to be fair to moi,i was stating what 'dot and dabbing' refers to for,erm dot and dabbing plasterboards :smilewinkgrin: i have never heard the word dotting used for the use of screws :drool5:

and the other bit you wrote,we used to form screeds when doing any internal roughing,always screed then fill in,easy pesy to those who know how.

gotta admit though,ive never screeded a wall before drylining,bit over kill,dotting and screeding then drylining over it:wacky:

S

Spud

Thanks Ed top post mate ,I remember talking to plasterers about plumb and dot years ago and how good plasterers didnt need "grounds" to work off of as they could form their own , I also worked with tilers who would set level dots around a floor with a water level and guage stick then screed the floor out I have to rely on battens as I dont screed often enough to gain the experience to do it without them

A

Aston

to be fair to moi,i was stating what 'dot and dabbing' refers to for,erm dot and dabbing plasterboards :smilewinkgrin: i have never heard the word dotting used for the use of screws :drool5:

and the other bit you wrote,we used to form screeds when doing any internal roughing,always screed then fill in,easy pesy to those who know how.

gotta admit though,ive never screeded a wall before drylining,bit over kill,dotting and screeding then drylining over it:wacky:

hi wilder
you dont screed the wall? you set up dots. they are reference points set up. the dabs of adhesive are then placed inbetween the plumbed up dots slightly proud of the dots. then when you press the boards into the adhesive, the boards hit the pre set dots. whe they touch the hardened dots, they are plumb and flat..... the term dot and dab now has just been accepted but thats the origional concept

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
hi wilder
you dont screed the wall? you set up dots. they are reference points set up. the dabs of adhesive on then placed inbetween the plumbed up dots. then when you press the boards into the adhesive, the boards hit the pre set dots. whe they touch the hardened dots, they are plumb and flat..... the term dot and dab now has just been accepted but thats the origional concept
sorry ed,maybe crossed wires,im lost mate.
when roughing on,render,browning,bonding, any plastering i always screed,its,well,its just what you do:thumbsup:

im lost on the screeding drylining? do you mean you dot and dab,place board(we used to use slate) on the dot,plumb up and then dot the boards on top,again,im a tad thick,so im a tad lost mate:smilewinkgrin:

i know what doting and dabbing plumbing ect ect is ed,it was how i was taught in the 80s when serving my time in plastering mate.

i wa sexplainging what doting and dabin gi sin 'drylining' terms,and it certainly don't mean screwing em

A

Aston

ok mate, its not your fault, its so much harder writing it, if i was standing infront of you and showed you on a wall you'd say, arr i know that method...i'll do my best to explain now

step 1.
the dot... imagine you put a blob of say sand and cement on the top of a wall and then cut a piece of plasterboard or lathe about inch thick and say 3 inches long and bedded into the blob of sand and cement..

step 2
you do the exact same procedure at the bottom of the wall...you now would put your straight edge/level on the lathe/dot on the top of the wall and the lathe/dot ant the bottom of the wall and tap the level till it show plumb/level

you now have 2 dots embedded in sand and cement that are perfectly level/plumb in which to form a screed between.
so the dot system was origionally used to form level reference points. instead of forming screeds, they would place dabs of adhesive between the plumbed up dots that were proud/raised above the surface of the dots. they would then press the boards into the adhesive and the baords would touch the hardened dots and this was the guarantee that the boards where level.

now they used this system on long walls so they had to be sure that the work was bang on back then because surprislingly enought, thats how we used to work lol ;0)

once you had one end of the wall plumb, you could do the same at the other end..the wall could be 3 miles long because as long as you had both ends levels, you could extend a string line the whole length of the wall and place dots in between that where bang on...

phew, sorry for the lenght of this, i am getting knackered typing lol....this method is called dots...these dots are reference point to work to. you can form screeds for plastering between them, screeds for floor screeding (as gary said ;0)) or finally for forming the reference guides in which to ultra ensure a long long was was bang on using plasterboards....

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Thanks Ed top post mate ,I remember talking to plasterers about plumb and dot years ago and how good plasterers didnt need "grounds" to work off of as they could form their own , I also worked with tilers who would set level dots around a floor with a water level and guage stick then screed the floor out I have to rely on battens as I dont screed often enough to gain the experience to do it without them

Gary you would walk it, the way I screed would be second nature to you. I am not saying this is the only way, as everyone has their own ways. I wish I had some video of this, there are some on youtube. On site we would be given a datum line 1m ffl (finished floor level) by the site engineer, we then set a dot for screed height,(less thickness of tile adhesive/slurry) we then use this dot or pad as some people call them.

Using a laser or dumpy I would then transfare this level to where I intend to start screeding. As I use a 3m box section straight edge I set my dots/ pads at 2.75m apart, I make a square dot from semi-dry approx 200mmx200mm, using a boat level to check my dot is spot on, (this is vital) I then compact the semi-dry dot. The next dot is set in the same way.

I then join up my two dots by compacting semi-dry between them, again making sure that these "runners" as I call them are spot on and well compacted, repeat this 2.75 m away creating a bay. Having got my runners in place I can then fill in the bay with screed using the runners as a guide, (this is something that can take time to master) imo a good screeder will not use a wood/plastic float to finish, the technique is always in the wrists and the straight edge.

I used to lay 100m2 70mm ready mix on a regular basis. I still love screeding, enjoy it more than tiling, then again it does not require as much concentration.

S

Spud

Thanks Phil thats exactly how I have seen it done and believe me I have tried several times to do it that way but always seen to create a hollow as I pull the straight edge back along the screed channel, I dont think I get the compaction right and seem to pull the surface out as i screed it back, with the batten method I use it is much slower and i can only really get 20-25m2 a done before the lunch time deadline but i find that my work is more acurate it is a pain going back and removing the battens and filling the channels and I would love to be able to to it the way you do

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

http://www.cg-flooring.com/sand-cement-screed-/sand-cement-screed-.aspx Gary I started screeding a the age of 15 and went through all kinds of methods, until I met Tony Cullen, a legend,( he was at my 60th,) on the big jobs I would drop in a bay next to Tony, we always stayed a couple of meters apart so we don't clash edges, I always managed to keep up with Tony, the difference being I was sweating like a pig, and Tony was whistling (no effort).:thumbsup:

A

Aston

sorry, i have posted this vid before but if you fast forward to 3 mins 40 secs, then you can see the tecnique of using the straight edge....notice he is relaxed! not digging in and also notice, that the flooring rule is wider at the bottom than at the top!!! this helps. much better balance... i am sure refina sell these floor rules....anyway, once again, its not as difficult as people think, couple of days practice with a few damp bags of course sand and you'll nail the technique down in your sleep..

[video=youtube;HsaL2LVIbA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsaL2LVIbA4[/video]

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
ok mate, its not your fault, its so much harder writing it, if i was standing infront of you and showed you on a wall you'd say, arr i know that method...i'll do my best to explain now

step 1.
the dot... imagine you put a blob of say sand and cement on the top of a wall and then cut a piece of plasterboard or lathe about inch thick and say 3 inches long and bedded into the blob of sand and cement..

step 2
you do the exact same procedure at the bottom of the wall...you now would put your straight edge/level on the lathe/dot on the top of the wall and the lathe/dot ant the bottom of the wall and tap the level till it show plumb/level

you now have 2 dots embedded in sand and cement that are perfectly level/plumb in which to form a screed between.
so the dot system was origionally used to form level reference points. instead of forming screeds, they would place dabs of adhesive between the plumbed up dots that were proud/raised above the surface of the dots. they would then press the boards into the adhesive and the baords would touch the hardened dots and this was the guarantee that the boards where level.

now they used this system on long walls so they had to be sure that the work was bang on back then because surprislingly enought, thats how we used to work lol ;0)

once you had one end of the wall plumb, you could do the same at the other end..the wall could be 3 miles long because as long as you had both ends levels, you could extend a string line the whole length of the wall and place dots in between that where bang on...

phew, sorry for the lenght of this, i am getting knackered typing lol....this method is called dots...these dots are reference point to work to. you can form screeds for plastering between them, screeds for floor screeding (as gary said ;0)) or finally for forming the reference guides in which to ultra ensure a long long was was bang on using plasterboards....
:lol: ok ed,we obviously have got our wires crossed,sorry for making you write all that,you have just taught a fish to swim mate:smilewinkgrin:

J

jwatson

12 dabs???? where you pull that from? how can you quantify 12 dabs-my dabs may be bigger than yours ect. and as far as i know you can do 2 8x4 boards per 25kgbag
4 solid continues lines of dry wall adhesive on an 8x4 board(across the 4 foot side) with a continues bead at top and bottom to conform with fire regulations
They also recommend 1 bag of dry line adhesive for 1 8x4 board , fixed with 12 dabs and 12 screws hence the phrase dot and dab , dots Being screws and dabs being adhesive

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Newly drylined and skimmed bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I've got plasterers coming in next week to render the (brick) walls of my bathroom ready for it...
Replies
Views
Hello, I would start wit ha little back story. We've both a house where the main bathroom begged...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Im just after some advice on a project were currently on that has been wrought with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB