Discuss Nightmare job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stusgsx

Hi all,
Ive been working alongside a local bathroom company helping them on the jobs from start to finish aswel as doing all the tiling and we have come across a rather fussy customer!

We knew they were going to be very fussy so we have taken our time to get everything right and spot on. The customer made it very clear that he wanted the grout line to be centre of the shower valve and the bath valves so i set the wall out so the vertical grout line was dead centre of the shower valve. This left a cut of just 2 inches at one end which i wouldnt normally do but its what the customer wanted. Horizontally i set the room out so that the top and bottom are the same measurment and it all worked out.

I got the 3 main walls tiled except a couple of tiles around the bottom of the shower tray as it has not been secured yet. I couldnt tile the last wall until the plumbing etc had been done for the toilet so i got on with backer boarding the floor and tiling it.

Anyway the bathroom fitter gets a call one night saying that he wants a different tiler and that there are at least 14 tiles that need replacing and that he wants another tiler to come and check it over. The next day im at the job and the customer has marked out the tiles he wants replacing. They are all the cuts up to the door frame and all the cuts in the corner of the shower as there is a 2-3mm gap. I explane that that he wont see any of this once it is grouted and sealed but he wouldnt have any of it and spoke to me like a bit of dirt and like i had done a terrible job throughout. I replaced all the marked tiles anyway to keep him happy. Later he comes back and sees what ive done and seems happy with it even though he didnt say much EXCEPT that he is now unhappy with the holes around the pipes for the towel rad! I had put 30mm holes around the 15mm pipes coming out the wall so the plumber had plenty of room to adjust the pipes to fit the rad and so we can put the chrome caps around the pipe anyway its never going to be seen. So he starts calling me a bodger for doing that and i explain why etc and if i were a bodger then i would of cut the tile in half and nibbled the 2 bits to fit around the pipe then stuck it back together! I said fine it doesnt bother me what size the hole is i was just making it easyer for the plumber and that i will re-do them!

This morning the bathroom fitter calls the customer saying that he wont be able to get to the job because of the snow but the tiler will try and make it in. The customer says he wants us both here as they want one of the walls completly re-tiled as he doesnt like the 2 inch cut at one end which i had to do to achive what he wanted with the grout line!

To be honest ive had enough and dont really want to go back there as i think its going to be never ending with this guy. I know i do a good job as i have a lot of happy customers and most my work is from recomendations.
What would you do in the position? Have any of you been in this position? Do i cut my losses and tell the customer to get someone else?

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi,no do not cut your losses,from what you have said you have done nothing wrong whatsoever

if he specified he wanted grout lines in certain positions then so be it ,as for the holes being cut and covered with chrome caps.....nothing wrong with thate ither

and in regards to leaving a 2mm gap in internals for silicone nothing wrong with that either

now if you are the sub contractor to the bathroom companyt it is the companys duty to take control of this not you,liase with them your concerns and ask them to liase direct with the customer in regards to this .

they need to make the customer realise everythign you uave done is okay,i personally woulnt be accepting walking away from this job with no pay and make this clear to your main contractor as well

good luck and keep us updated on how you get on

S

S.L.

I experienced a similar customer, and in my own opnion the only way to deal with people like this is to stand up to them and put them in their place while still being professional about it otherwise they just keep on thinking they can treat people like that.

i realise now in hindsight its best not to deal with such people in the first place if you can.

" Give them an inch and they will take a mile."

S

stusgsx

Thanks for the reply kitty. Well me and the bathroom fitter are sub contractors so basically we are fitting a supplied bathroom. The bathroom fitter is getting very annoyed with the customer now as he has explained there is nothing wrong with the tiling and to just let me finish and see the completed job. As the customer now wants a whole wall re-tiling (8sqm) who is going to pay for the tiles and extra adhesive and labour? The customer will blame me.

And also i forgot to mention........he wanted the tiles laid the other way too! The first thing i asked his wife was "which way do you want the tiles set out?"

S.L. Yes i wouldnt have touched this job if it was one that i had quoted for :(

I just dont think he will ever be happy

G

Gazzer

Thanks for the reply kitty. Well me and the bathroom fitter are sub contractors so basically we are fitting a supplied bathroom. The bathroom fitter is getting very annoyed with the customer now as he has explained there is nothing wrong with the tiling and to just let me finish and see the completed job. As the customer now wants a whole wall re-tiling (8sqm) who is going to pay for the tiles and extra adhesive and labour? The customer will blame me.

And also i forgot to mention........he wanted the tiles laid the other way too! The first thing i asked his wife was "which way do you want the tiles set out?"

S.L. Yes i wouldnt have touched this job if it was one that i had quoted for :(

I just dont think he will ever be happy

Lol love it Kitty :lol::lol::lol::lol:

C

cornish_crofter

I think there may be more than meets the eye here.

I've heard of this attitude a few times from customers (mainly men) who seem to think that they know better.

I'm wondering whether the woman has got the bathroom co in because hubby hasn't got around to doing it, thus compromised masculinity, thus he's throwing his toys out the pram!

It's never happened to me but I have heard it happening to others. One guy I know got chucked off a job over it.

Reply to Nightmare job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Nightmare job
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.