Discuss Nightmare job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tfs

Just to add, if your work has been completed to a good standar (flat, equal gaps between tiles etc) and the only problem of setting out was due to his decision then, I hope that you are getting paid extra for this.

Also, if you have left an equal 2mm gap all the way down an internal corner with no lipage etc, then I would want extra cash for changing this too as this is the way and internal corner should be unless specified otherwise.

Dont tolerate this behavour as the customer crearly doesnt know what is considered to be accpetbale based on what you have told us. If he is going to demand specifics then he should highlight this to you before work commences and should be willing to pay extra when he changes his mind.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
You could refer them to BS5385 for expansion gaps, that will shut him up, it just sounds like he either can't afford to pay for it, or he's a tight a** and just wants to try and get a discount, there's no way I would have replaced the corner cuts, he would have been put in his place. Don't give in to these sorts mate, because they can use the fact that you have re-done it as an admittance of doing it wrong in the first place, and, building their case if you see what I mean. Best of luck with it, and be firm and diplomatic at the same time is my advice. Take care mate.:thumbsup:

C

Ceramico tiling

very interesting post,,Im sure we have all had a similar situation.My worst one sounded very similar to this customer..Except he was running his fingers over the grout lines to feel for roughness.In this case I would have been better off cutting my losses as it seemed like a never ending nightmare that dragged on for months afterwards.Best thing though is to ask them what they think with every little detail and keep things mm perfect and charge more.

S

stusgsx

Just an update. We had a little discussion with the customer the following day and me and the fitter came to the conclusion that ths guy was just never going to be happy. He wasnt happy that 1- The vertical AND horizontal grout lines wernt in the centre of the shower valve so he wanted either the complete valve moved or all the tiles in the room set out again so that the valve was in the centre of the grout lines. 2- The pipe that feeds the shower head wasnt centre of the shower valve so he wanted that moved. 3- The is a beem that runs across the ceiling which i had tiled (about 400mm deep) and he wasnt happy that there was a grout line along it as he wanted a full tile (which would leave a tiny cut where the wall meets the floor). 4- He wasnt happy that we had used backer board on the floor and not ply!
So we decided we had enough as it was getting us both very down in the dumps. We packed up our stuff, took all the tiles off the biggest wall, had a good hoover up and left. Later we put together a letter describing what we had done each day and the comments that the customer had said and enclosed an invoice for what we had done. Dropped the letter off that evening not expecting a reply.
The following week we had a phone call saying that it was fair and he had a cheque waiting for us. So at least we got paid for what we had done just a shame we couldnt finish the job as it was so close to being completed.

D

deankyall

sounds like he will be trying the old money off,or not paying scam, if he or she is not happy with you,ask to be paid a fair agreed amount for what you've done so far and then he can get someone else,sounds like you would be better off out of it,do you think if hes that determined to cause a problem you will get paid?if not then dont continue,trouble is its a bit catch 22,you could do more days there and still not get paid ,but if you walk that gives him reason not to pay,so try to agree something and if you do continue ,get him to write down what he wants, i had a customer who ordered his own tiles and was about 3 m2 short so there was not enough to do toilet next door he then blamed me for using too many??!!!! he then insisted that he was paying me to fully tile so i had to do under shower tray and behind all the pipes behind the built in furniture,unbelievable,i had the mother daughter and father all stood there having a go, they insisted that the tile shop couldnt be wrong,its like banging you head against a brick wall,the daughter actually insisted she knew just as much as me about tiling at which point i said "your the best person to finish the job then arent you" packed my tools up and started to walk,they soon changed their tune when they saw i was serious,i finished the bathroom got paid and they said "when will you be back to do the toilet?",i wont tell you what i said but gave me great satisfaction!!

Reply to Nightmare job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Nightmare job
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.