Discuss not happy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bongo

had a tiler in reg as a master craftsman .. told him i wanted show room finish and only the best work or dont take the job on 22 sq polished porcelain tiles.
floor was the best new floor i ever seen even he said so but the job still did not turn out good.
he chipped about 15 tiles removing spacers / he ended up taking out a number of tiles still lots chipped.
Left lots of spacers in the grout that i can see .. no way to get them out now everthing is sethard
has said he will fix the rest ... starting to run out of spare tiles now and that may mean a new batch number if i need to get more.
i feel i should not pay him and let him go as i can't spend anymore of my time checking his work ... was looking forward so much for this job to be well done ... was sure i was getting the best ... good tilers are rare.
How do you guys feel .. should i just dump him ... need to call an end to this.

M

mikethetile

go easy mate, dont jump from the pan into the fire

the defination of a master craftsman is someone who has taught the trade to others, so I can describe myself as a master decorator but not a master tiler untill I train someone up

being a master tradesman doesnt mean that your at the top of your game

the mistakes he has made are very basic and not what you would expect from an experianced tiler

if the floor has come out well I would get him to rectify the faults at his expense, so pay him on completion the amount agreed less the extra tiles and adhesive you will have to buy

P

Pebbs

Bongo, you really need to post some photographs, because as its reading at the moment, its giving me the impression its the worst floor tiling job in the world, and I am imagining you were hanging over the tilers back whilst he was doing the work. That in itself is giving me the raving hump, so prove me wrong show us the photographs, and lets have a look, before commenting. I dont know how much if any you have paid to your tiler, already, and Im hoping your not going to tell me you havent given him a penny so far, as it sounds like he is trying to rectify your concerns.

Pebbs

B

bongo

As a customer when you hire a professional you expect to get a professional finish first time.
I was looking for a top class job not a cheap job not a quick job the price was never going to be an issue but the quality of the finish was important to me and i made that very clear.
I have done tiling myself floor and walls and while i am far from an expert the jobs i did turned out pretty good ... in other words they were to a standard that i would accept in my home.

The fact the guy was willing to fix the problems does not make him a better tiler just a willing one.
They guy as person was ok but the guy as professional did not fit the standard required as stated.
Before anybody starts to think i am some kind of nit picking crank let me reasure you i am far from it.
Its my home and i wanted a quality finish that i was willing to pay for is that so wrong?
By the way i never stood over anybody and i don't feel a need to do that - thats why i was willing to pay a professional.
As a professional why would somebody watching you cause concern? would you change your work standard if somebody was looking at you?

Anyway getting back to the problems .. lippage, chipped tiles, hollow tiles, sinking tiles, the need to replace lots of them.

On the plus side he made an effort to fix the problems his standards are not the same as mine and i don't doubt he did his best.
I am not knocking the person just the workmanship .. he was paid .. would i use him again No!
Did he learn from this .. i think so.. what did he learn? think long and hard before you take on a job that demands a quality finish to a standard that you as a tiler would only accept in your own home.
Did i learn from this ? you bet ... what did i learn? . don't doubt my own work standard and that a professional might not be as professional as i am.

Tiles were 600 x 600 polished porcelain tiles.
Spacers were Raimondi type Tile Spacers (see youtube)

Sorry no pics unless you would like to see a pile of broken tiles or hear what a hollow tile sounds like or feel the pain of lippage from porcelain tile on your tender feet ... sorry just a bit of drama to end my post.
Its just a nightmare ending and most likely one i will end up paying for and fixing in the end myself.. the joys of the experience of life.

Reply to not happy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
not happy
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.