Guest viewing is limited

Recommended Tile Suppliers

We recommend a couple of tile suppliers, Topps Tiles and Tile Giant.

They supply good adhesive brands and provide trade discounts for genuine tilers.

Discuss Not too impressed with Topps/Exeter in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com.

H

harty

Hi there

After reading all your various posts, i bought 8 10 kg bags of BAL Rapidflex adhesive and 2 bags of BAL grey grout from Topps at Exeter for £236!!! I did ask i could get some form of discount due to the volume, but after reading further posts about trade prices, it seems that I was diddled!

I may not be in the trade or a tiler, but some discount would have been fair.

I'll be avoiding Topps in the future for my other future projects.

cheers

Mark Hart - Devon

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
To be fair mate, although the gear cost you £236 you've not got a great deal. You would have saved some cash by buying 20kg bags... and if they were out of stock of them it would have been nice to be charged the same price as 4 x 20kg bags as it's their fault they didn't have the 20's in stock.

You have to respect the fact that a trader with trade discount at topps can buy £10,000's worth in a good year! And not just £300's worth.

Although I think topps retail prices can be a bit harsh adhesive wise... but then again they do sell enough to keep the prices. If people just stopped paying the high prices and didn't buy they'd soon come down.

F

Falcone

Went into TOPPS in my home town Dundee last week to get stuff to do my bathroom. Guy behind the counter was excellent.

Bal GRIP was £28.99 for a tub and he gave me 2 for £40!! he also threw in BAL silicone for free and a roller for applying the primer for free.

Told him I will be looking to get a trades account and he said all id need to do was take in my course certificate and he'd get me one. Plus he said he'd stick my business card out on the counter... there wasnt ANY on the counter at that time!!

Happy Days!! :thumbsup:

G

GazTech

Hi there

I may not be in the trade or a tiler, but some discount would have been fair.

I'll be avoiding Topps in the future for my other future projects.

cheers

Mark Hart - Devon
What exactly makes you think you are entitled to discount Mark? just for buying some adhesive once in a blue moon....there is no need to buy the stuff, and then moan like a drain about the price ....do like the rest and shop around first...bit harsh I think slagging off Topps because you are either to lazy to go and find a better deal or think the retail world revolves around you...Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

It's horses for courses init.

Someone like me that most probably buys a fraction of materials compared to others find Topps just on the mark for trade price when Im only buying for one job at a time, where-as someone who needs to buy propper bulk will never bother with a retail outlet like Topps.

As for harty.... in an ideal world, everywhere we went to buy from in any form, we'd be given discount, but we don't.
Just because you bought a few bags of gear for one home DIY project dosen't automatically grant you trade rates or discount, and then for them to not see you for who knows how long.

If you went into a cafe with the wife or whatever and paid one price for coffees, dosent mean going in with a few friends will get some coffees for free.

It's exactly the same as that, and to start slagging off a retailer for not giving you discount for one project your doing is unrealistic and unfair, and spending just over £200 isn't much in a tile shop to shock them into dropping prices for you.

Go in with an order for £2000 and you might get something off then.

B

brian c

Topps in my town are great,good discount,good service.

Builder went in asking for a good tiler and they gave him my card,they knew the builder was shop fitting a new bathroom showroom and that the owners would supply their own materials so they'd get nothing out of it.I now have to work 16 hour days for 2 weeks to get the showroom finished ££££££££
:rockon:
enjoy spending it.lol:grin: :grin: :grin:

V

Varley

I have used Topps stores all around the north east (Sunderland, Durham and Stockton) and never had anything other than great service from any of them. Think the trade prices are up there with the best i've seen.

The reason tile shops give trade discount will be for two reasons as far as I can see:

1. The tiler is likely to be buying thousands of pounds worth of gear per year, so better to keep them buying from you than going to the shop across the street.

2. The tiler will refer customers to the store, which in return may result in the store making thousands on the tiles, which is where the store makes the bulk of their profit.

So the question is Harty...would you have been doing any of the above for the store to give you any form of discount?

Reply to Not too impressed with Topps/Exeter in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

N
Replies
Views
newuser
N
A
  • Question
Just wondered if anyone has a view on this. I went to my local Topps branch to pick up a couple...
Replies
Views
Homegarden
H
S
Hi I am looking to purchase a textured tile called Jewel from topps tiles, they have small...
Replies
Views
Speedoman
S
K
  • Question
just starting my mums new kitchen and went out and got a nice deal on on tile addy and grout...
Replies
Views
Tile Shop
T
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Not too impressed with Topps/Exeter
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond