Discuss Novice needing advise in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RayJ

Hello all,

I'm new here and never used forums before so be gentle with me lol.

I'm hoping that you experts out there can give me some tips/guidance please?

Here goes ...

I'm planning on (or my other half is) tiling my bathroom. We have bought 16x16 porcelain tiles for the bulk of the job and 30x30 glass mosaic sheets (mesh-backed) for detailing/border.

Whilst my other half is a DIY enthusiast and more than capable he's never laid mosaic sheets before and we have a few questions ..

As the mosaics are thinner than the porcelain tiles how do we get a flat flush finish? My bathroom is tiled already and we're thinking of tiling straight over them .. any opinions on this? Weight of tiles already there + the new ones shouldn't be an issue.

Should we start at the bottom and tile up to the border (mosaic) level then add the mosaics and then carry on? Any tips on laying mosaics greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rach

D

Deleted member 9966

Please do not tile over existing tiles with heavy porcelain tiles. Your existing tiles may look like they are soundly fixed to the walls, but until you start pulling them off, you'll never know for sure. You may well find that porcelain tiles + existing tiles will take you over the load weight the wall can support and put your in an unsafe position every time you use the bathroom.

you need to find something to pack the border out by 3mm. But i'm struggling to think of something 3mm.

but the main tip you've been given so far is to remove the existing tiles. I was once asked to tile on tile, i removed a few to find that it was already 2 tile layers deep - it might delay things slightly but its not hard to knock the tiles off, then re-assess here as to the next process.

you've got to break an egg to make an omlette...

Del W

TF
Arms
Canterbury
Fix tiles first,leave a gap for mosaics.

Pics taken from phil hobsons post.thank him to.
After you have removed your existing tiles,( i know its a pain,but its the way to do it)
come back to us if you have any questions about prep work. :thumbsup:

M

Mike

i'd defo take the old tiles off. you'll get a better finish and as grr says you don't know how well the old ones are fixed. you don't want them coming off in the near future. as for the difference in thickness you can use a mosaic backer 'mesh'. they're the same size as the mosaic mats and have a sticky back you just put the mosaic mat on and cut to size with a knife. these also make the mosaics rigid which is handy when using them as a border. i would tile the bottom half then leave a gap for the border, re-fit my battens then tile the top then find/make a comb to fit the border width to lay on the adhesive for the border. press the border in with a grouting float not your hands :thumbsup:

Overtile only in extreme circumstances, i.e never, you don't know who has done what before you.

Del, that looks as if you are floating the adhesive in and then using your mosaic trowel and fixing in the tiles from there. Tried that a couple of times but had a lot of trouble with excess squeezing through the mosaics. Now I make a piece of batten or ply witha a"tongue" the width of the recess and to the depth of the mosaic + 2mm for adhesive and float in rapid set addy. That gives a firm and flat surface to fix mosiacs on normally. Takes a little longer but makes for a better finish, for me anyway.

Backer mesh is even easier, tried it a couple of times but its always practical especially if you turn up on site and the customer springs a surprise on you.

Last edited:
D

Daz

I've just done a bathroom with 10mm thick porcelain and thin glass mosaic border. Whilst I normally use the "dog ear" method, as described by Spooner68, I opted to cut up some cheap thin white tiles this time. I stuck a strip of tiles with rapid set where the border was to be placed and then tiled the areas above. Once the adhesive had set, I stuck the mosaics on top of the "whites" so that the border tiles sit flush. It's another option for you????

Also, when you are setting the mosaics it is helpful to push them flush with a grout float.

Good luck,

Daz

Reply to Novice needing advise in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, apologies if this has already been covered before but I couldn't find anything in the forum...
Replies
Views
O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
E
Hi all, I am a newbie and diyer. We are retiling the bathroom in our new house but are having...
Replies
Views
elaine17
E

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Novice needing advise
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.