Discuss Nvq Tiling Courses in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tile Shop

After my first proper attempt before the xmas break, I grant you it wasn't great, but I quite enjoyed tiling.

I work in Customer Service with my main emphasis on specing, CADing tiling projects, answering technical queries and liaising with the more brainy technical departments of BAL, Schluter, Mapei blah-de-blah etc etc to name but a few.

I joined this forum to gain some extra knowledge but am now thinking that I should take this one step further. I've been promised by the bosses at W&F that I will spend time with an experienced tiler, go on training courses with our suppliers etc. But as of yet (through no fault of theirs) it hasn't yet been possible. So I'm going to fork out of my own pocket to go on a multi-weekend NVQ Tiling course and claim the money back (hopefully) and do it alongside my current job. Not only because it will help me in my current role, but also opens up more possibilities and maybe a new career later in the future.

So I'm reaching out to people who have done these courses before or anyone who has any knowledge of them, who can advise me how helpful these courses really are. I know I'll get a qualification at the end of it, but how much "real" experience will I gain? Is it like passing your driving test and then really learning to drive once you're out on your own? or are the courses enough on their own to get you started in a new career or help me to verbally advise people "how to"?

Also regarding the CSCS cards. The NVQ levels available are 2, 3 and 4+ and also grant you either a blue, gold or black card at the end. Whats the difference between the different level courses and the cards?

Any input gratefully received.

M

MTiler

As I have a CSCS Skilled Worker Blue Card for site work do I still need to do the CITB H&S Awareness course?
I ask as a Contractor I often work for sent out a email to his employees and subbies saying we need to do the course for site work as its been asked for, but as we all do different work we're all gonna have different cards, if any.
Looking into it the course sites say its the first step to a Labourers Green card.

cheers
Sharon

Good evening to all.

I've been working with a tiler,full time for just over 3 years now. Love my job and we are very busy with a variety of jobs from Kia show rooms to Victorian hall ways etc
The chap I work with doesn't have any qualifications as such (eg nvq2/3 or city &guilds) but does have 17 years experience.
He says I don't need nvq's etc but I would just like to get a few other opinions really.
Id like to learn as much as I can and want to be taught right. I want to do things properly so I can legitimately call myself a professional tiler at some point.

Any feed back would be great

Thanks Danny

W

White Room

Thanks for the reply
No I don't have a cscs card as we never do site work with the exception of the Kia garage. We just work for small builders really who do a few houses at a time and big extensions. With a few domestics thrown in for good measure.
One day you may want to do bigger site works rather than just builders then an nvq would be required.

T

The D

An NVQ is not something that is going to teach you anything that is the tilers job the NVQ is a record of your capability. when you sign up for your NVQ you will start to build a portfolio of your work for the assessor. The tiler you work with can be your verifier and you can just work through the NVQ criteria ticking of each unit as you go. If there is a paticuler unit or task you don't do much of then you can attend college to get the relevent training but you must then put it into practis in a live situation as simulated evidence is not permitted on the NVQ. All you are doing on an NVQ is gathering evidence that tiling is what you do.

Reply to Nvq Tiling Courses in the Tiling Courses area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Need some help please with calculating levels and the build up of the floor to support tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views

Popular Tiling Course Threads

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Nvq Tiling Courses
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tiling Courses
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the Tiling Courses category on TilersForums.com. Find your local tiling course and tiling training providers colleges and schools right across the UK on our UK tiling forum.