Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Obvious scratches on new porcelain floor -what to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi, I'm hoping for a bit of advice here. Yesterday my shiney new grey porcelain floor tiles were laid onto a devimat heating system ( on foam onto concrete). I suspect that the tiler had grit or a bit of tile chip on his knee pad as there are several deep scratches down to the white porcelain underbase on 2 tiles, just about where he was kneeling working on the shower plinth.
Whilst I can live with small surface imperfections, 'cos the tiles are dark and the scratches obvious I think that there is nothing to do but to take them up and replace and the tiler has suggested this. He says that he hasn't taken many tiles up off heat mats though.
My worry is that this quite possibly may damage the heat mat and then we are back to chasing our tails and doing yet another job to rectify ie taking up the whole floor and putting in a new mat.
How likely is damage to the mat?
As an alternative does anyone know of any way we can just do a simple repair to the tiles themselves ?
Many thanks

D

DHTiling

It will a case of try and see what happens....but you can get repair kits for the ufh no probs if it was damaged......
The only problem is that it voids your warranty if a repair is needed but it is not the end of the world....as long as it can be repaired and still works....but you will not know until you try and remove the tiles...

most of all good luck and let us know how you get on and maybe even sign up as a member and then it will be easier to let us know how you get on...:thumbsup:

U

Uheat

Firstly..if you can live with the scratches then do so, but if you really want to replace the tiles then you will have to take the chance....

Yes once the tiles have been removed you will have to check the mat before refixing the new tiles.....

If your tiler takes it really carefully you might get away with no damage....it really is a try and see what happens situation...

As Dave has said, if your tiler is very careful then should get away with no damage but ensure that the mats are retested before laying tiles again. If any damage you can then get a repair kit but like Dave has said this would void guarantee.

Reply to Obvious scratches on new porcelain floor -what to do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Obvious scratches on new porcelain floor -what to do?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.