Discuss One of them customers! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

penno

Not posted on here for awhile so thought i would tell you about a "picky" customer i have just finished a job for.
Got a call off Topps a few weeks ago asking could i price a splashback and floor for a bloke.
Went around and seemed nice enough, took a quick look before i got my tape out, looked about 18sqm on the floor and 5 ish on the walls. He then said "i am not looking at paying more than £250", "no problem, i won't even bother measuring up then mate" Anyway after some discussion it was agreed i would measure and give him the price, which i did, a fair one. Loads of humming and ahhing but then said he wanted me to do the work.
Day come to start the job, arrived about 8, he wanted me to start about 6! (serious). Anyway when i got there there was a kitchen fitter changing the island, spoke with him and it turns out they insisted it had to be changed as it was 9mm shorter than they asked for, "good luck" he smiled. First day got the splashback in, looked really nice. Arrived the next day, "i have a list of problems that need sorting before anything else is done". Produced a list and then went around pointing to where the tiles meet the worktop, "gap here, one here, one here" etc etc "it has to be siliconed, it will be done last thing" still carried on "one here". Then said there is one tile that is lipping, honestly this lip did not exist. Bit my lip and told him i would change it. Started on his floor, comes in a few hours later so i tell him i have changed the wall tile "o yes that is a hundred times better", i never touched it! Anyway this bloke was a total mare, pulled me up saying he doesn't appreciate me smoking, when i was having a cig it was off his property at the back of my van, just rolled my eyes at him. Job was done and he said he was over the moon with it. I handed him one of my cards, he wasn't happy as my house address wasn't on it. Grabbed a pen and paper and asked me for it, refused to give it to him. For some strange reason started getting all irate insisting that i give it to him, as i have carried out work in his home he has a right to know it. Calmed himself down a little so handed him the topps satisfaction form to fill out "mmm i need time to go over this, what i will do is fill it in then hand it in to Topps myself" Ok if thats what you want to do, then said he will make a copy of it and send it to me "can i have your address so i can send it" Off we went again, all angry as i wouldn't give it to him.
Anyway went in Topps a few days later and he had indeed handed in the form, loads of stupid points on it but basically said "fantastic job, great tiler etc etc" Did end though with big capital letters "NO ADDRESS GIVEN!!!!!"
If it wasn't through Topps i would have walked off the job in all honesty, worst person i have ever worked for.

T

tfs

I would not take that kind of hassle from a customer, I think there is a line between professionalism and being taken advantage of.

Not having a dig at you here but, I am slightly cautious of businesses that dont have an address on business cards etc as in some cases there may be a reason (not a good one). I dont have an adress on my website at present but for business cards and invoices etc I do.

I think it projects a better image with an adress etc as it is required for invoicing purposes etc.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
just about to post something along these lines.

had one on monday,the lady of the house had a right go at me about being 3days late,even though i went last week and explained that the plumber and leccy are still here doing all your extras,so i can't do owt,i will come back monday(its a extention and the whole downstairs re plaster in a detatched house).
got there and she went doolally,saying,this job has been going on long enough (5 weeks)honest,you want to see the ammount of work thats been done,knocking connies down,breaking up slabs,half the back garden had to be dug out and poured,no footings ect ect.
anyhow,i just said in my calmest voice with my cutest smile, im here now,don't worry,once the plaster has started going on you will feel better,oh i will have coffee no suger pls.
then she said if im to busy she will have to get someone else,so i said,in my calmest voice with my cutest smile,fine,the gear has just turned up,i will send it back or pay me for it and i will take it in for you and then go to my next job,no worrys.
her reply was,"oh,look at you,your a right stresshead aint you,gosh look at you neck going all red,are you mard as well":mad2:
u couldent make it up,if the main contractor wasent a top bloke,i would of walked.

oh and one more thing she said,"craig you are not going to create any dust are you":lol:a plasterer creating dust, never love,never

Reply to One of them customers! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
One of them customers!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.