Discuss Opinion on this job please. Is this a satisfactory finish? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

Another day and it doesn't look any better! :(

If I understand correctly the dado and everything above it needs to come off. Below the dado is fine. I know I can't talk prices but can I discuss time? To take off (trying to save the dado), retiled correctly and re skim the walls to completion, how many day are we talking?

Just get a local tiler in to give you a proper written estimate to redo the whole job to our industry standard. Anything less and you are accepting shoddy workmanship and he will continue to ruin other projects.

It's a shame. Actually it's more than a shame.... i'm gutted.

He's a good guy, a hard worker and a good builder and I can't fault his other jobs. They have been spot on. He's tiled the floors and patio and roof and it all looks great.

I actually employ a project manager who clearly in this case should have sourced a professional tiler for the job. The builder actually said to me on Friday that "he wasn't a tiler".

Oh dear. Looks like an expensive fix and the dado takes 4 weeks to manufacture :(
I dont think you can blame the so called "Tiler" if he is one ?, blame your project manager and builder for not keeping him in check from when he started the work.

T

tuthai

Correct. Villa in Spain but Irish builder and English project manager.

They have just been to the house and they have acknowledged that it needs redoing.

The builder will remove the side panels of the diamond pattern above the dado in both bathrooms and retile with the correct wrap around the corner. He said he can do it but if necessary a tiler will be brought in.

However I'm looking at it now and wondering is it going to be possible to pick up the wrap from the back wall by cutting new tiles to fit?
My understanding is that the actual cut off of the same tile should be the next piece laid on the adjoining wall. Is it going to be a nightmare to try and cut the right size shape to create the wrap now we don't have the original cut offs?

Also the dado externals will be removed and mitred properly

The internal dado corners will have the grout removed and a special resin to match the marble to create a clean neat corner. Does this sound right?

I have no experience with this and I don't want a repeat situation where it looks poor again.

I want want to keep him as a builder and work with him on new projects, so I don't want to jeopardise the relationship. His building work is great so if it's not going to work I don't want him to waste his time.

I do want to give him the chance to fix this…. but could the fix he's talking about be done even by an experienced tiler?

Thank guys.

D

DHTiling

Correct. Villa in Spain but Irish builder and English project manager.

They have just been to the house and they have acknowledged that it needs redoing.

The builder will remove the side panels of the diamond pattern above the dado in both bathrooms and retile with the correct wrap around the corner. He said he can do it but if necessary a tiler will be brought in.

However I'm looking at it now and wondering is it going to be possible to pick up the wrap from the back wall by cutting new tiles to fit?
My understanding is that the actual cut off of the same tile should be the next piece laid on the adjoining wall. Is it going to be a nightmare to try and cut the right size shape to create the wrap now we don't have the original cut offs?

Also the dado externals will be removed and mitred properly

The internal dado corners will have the grout removed and a special resin to match the marble to create a clean neat corner. Does this sound right?

I have no experience with this and I don't want a repeat situation where it looks poor again.

I want want to keep him as a builder and work with him on new projects, so I don't want to jeopardise the relationship. His building work is great so if it's not going to work I don't want him to waste his time.

I do want to give him the chance to fix this…. but could the fix he's talking about be done even by an experienced tiler?

Thank guys.

The pieces for the wrap can be cut no problem at all but my concern is him wanting to bodge the internal corners of your dado tiles personally I think they'll need replacing you cant just fill them , they should've been cut right in the first place

Reply to Opinion on this job please. Is this a satisfactory finish? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Bathroom being refurbished. A load of things have been rushed like some loosely rollered (not...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not a tiler - which is why I have one in working away on my new kitchen floor! However...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB