UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss orange juice spilt on unsealed cream marble - HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Topshop

Sealer would not have prevented the marble from etching anyway. There is no sealer to date that keeps marble from being etched that really works.

If you can feel the etch the surface has to be re-polished with diamonds and polishing powder but if you cannot feel the etch with your finger (only see it) you could use some 5x power or some diaglo on a wet rag to hand buff it out. I am not sure where in your area to get these products.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

UniverSeal

Hi Guys

This is my first post, I hope its helpful.

Like Topshop has mentioned, a sealer would not have prevented the orange juice etching from damaging the marbles surface, no penetrating sealer will protect any calcite stones from acid etching.

To resolve this problem there are the two options available, these are using a marble polishing cream or powder which will create a chemical reaction to repolish the stones surface, this process is generally known as crystalization. The other option would be to mechanically polish the marble using dry diamond flooor pads, this process has been made easier with the availabilty of Twister or Rhino Diamond Pads which can be used with a standard polisher scrubbing machine.

D

DHTiling

Hi Guys

This is my first post, I hope its helpful.

Like Topshop has mentioned, a sealer would not have prevented the orange juice etching from damaging the marbles surface, no penetrating sealer will protect any calcite stones from acid etching.

To resolve this problem there are the two options available, these are using a marble polishing cream or powder which will create a chemical reaction to repolish the stones surface, this process is generally known as crystalization. The other option would be to mechanically polish the marble using dry diamond flooor pads, this process has been made easier with the availabilty of Twister or Rhino Diamond Pads which can be used with a standard polisher scrubbing machine.

Hi Jason..

Your input is appreciated ...... deffo agree on no sealer will prevent acidic etching..

U

UniverSeal

I haven't been on the Cheater course but I do know off them, we are more familiar with Twister, KGS & Rhino these diamond pads are the non woven type which can be used wet or dry from 150 - 2500 rpm.

I wasn't talking about non-resin pads, but I'm sure like you we know a lot about doamond pads so I don't want to get involved in different processes.
Someone has been to cheater school.

Sorry to differ with you but Diamonds do not need to be done dry either. You need to run these on a 175 rpm machine not a standard scrubber.

T

Topshop

Twister pads are not the proper way to restore a floor either. They will save you some time on a periodic tune up but you will find mixed/inconsistant results with pads like these. This is the type of product that a carpet guy who knows little about stone will try when expanding his business - before he goes to get proper stone restoration training.

Don't get me wrong, I am not totally opposed to these products like twister and crystalization - they are another tool in your toolbox that can help in certain situations. The problem is when people use them all the time without a proper resurfacing of the stone and damaging the stone in the long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to orange juice spilt on unsealed cream marble - HELP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A
Hi Yesterday I tipped over the loo brush holder whilst cleaning my polished carrara marble...
Replies
Views
enduro
E
My customer bought some Cream Antica honed marble from Lapicida. I've sealed it with Fila...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
E
Natural Stone and Tile Care Do's and Don'ts Do use coasters under glasses, especially if they...
Replies
Views
enduro
E
R
My first post here, so as so many others have said in similar situations, please be gentle, as...
Replies
Views
Roger Sofarover
R
D
The following is an article written by an eminent stone professional in the USA - please read it...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
orange juice spilt on unsealed cream marble - HELP
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.