UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss overboarding chipboard hallway? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lee Knights

Just a bit of advice really, normally just read other posts and that got me through our first bathroom tile but now tiling hallway and just keep reading conflicting advice. (and most of the stores have said don't bother overboarding but the forum suggests otherwise)

Hallway is shaped in an F shape and the bit under the stairs (the top of the F) is maximum 1.5m x 1.5m

We have the delightful chipboard as flooring which can't be removed easily. It is level, sound and very little movement. (glass of water test)

We would like to tile and currently this is the plan

Overboard 6mm (not ideal but front door does not shift and 10mm would prob stop door opening) This is sandwiched with addy and screwed.
Not sure whether to use Marmox or NMP?

Then Kereflex maxi (Had considered Keraquick but I'm not the quickest of workers)

Tile (std ceramic 300mmx300mm)

Grout (Keracolour)

Is there anything really stupid about the plan or have I missed anything? It's the overboarding I'm unsure about.
Thank you for your help CK

L

Lee Knights

Cheers all I'm getting closer to "getting round to it"

We'd considered a mat well but because the hallway is narrow we thought it would look like we had just done that bit lower to clear the door.

In terms of clearance I'd added in my calculations a layer of addy under the board (and a bit extra). There is 30mm clearance from chipboard to door. I probably can clear addy, 10mm, addy, tile but it is difficult to judge the whole swing of the door and its one of those heavy duty composite jobs and very little adjustment upwards. Will have to shave off the bottom of the loo door though. ( That'l prob result in me taking the door off and re-hanging next winter)

We'll see how it turns out before posting pics :) It may take some time, the botched (not by me) laminate was ripped up last summer when we had a skip and decided it would be a good idea. Kinda getting used to the green chipboard look (and these good ideas we have)!
CK

L

Lee Knights

ok have gone with the 10mm marmox

Just a couple of questions

I was planning on fixing the Marmox with a sandwich layer of addy and screws/washers.

The wife has come back with Keraquick not Keraflex is this just a quickset version of the keraflex? The men in the shop said we needed Keraquick (she works near the store hence why she was picking it up).

Do I need to prime the chipboard before the addy layer?

And at what point do you screw the screws into the Marmox?- When the adhesive has set or before it sets?

Some people have said it's one or other (screw or addy) but others have said best to do both.

Thanks for your help
Lee

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to overboarding chipboard hallway? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

K
Hi All, a reasonably experienced diy tiler here! I know there's lots of threads on backerboard...
Replies
Views
V
Thought I'd put up a thread with regards to a wetroom I'm fitting in my house. Had some great...
Replies
Views
lizzardtong
L
Been to quote on a job today and advice needed on this one I think! 50mt total area, 15mts is...
Replies
Views
M
'Evening Gents, Recently joined the forum and have spent the last week trawling through loads...
Replies
Views
R
Hello, I'm a newbie here as i'm currently doing up our first house on a budget! I was wondering...
Replies
Views
sharpfamily
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.