UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling on to chipboard flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richardbell81

Ok, thanks very much for all your help, it really is appreciated. I appear to have 2 options...

1. Prime the chipboard, buy BAL Fastflex adhesive and BAL super flexible grout. Tile directly onto the current chipboard floor and hopefully this would do the job, although no guarantee but it would not raise the floor any higher.

OR...

2. Prime the chipbaord, overboard with a 6mm tile backing board (hardiebacker or cement board), then buy BAL Fastflex adhesive and BAL super flexible grout. Again, no guarantee, but i'm getting close. One question with this method. Would the Fastflex adhesive be suitable with the hardi/cement backing board or would a cement based adhesive such as 'bal supercover rapid flex' be more suitable? I already have a 15kg bag of the rapid flex which I was prepared to discard if the fastflex would make a better job.

Rich

So am i right in thinking I have a 3rd feasible option?

3. Cover the chipboard flooring with Ditra/Dura Matting which would hopefully give me the flexibility and extra layer I need.

I've looked on the BAL product guide and it says that the 'Supercover rapid flex' is ok to use with uncoupling membrane, so.... I could use this adhesive to bed the matting onto the chipboard and then use it to secure the tiles to the matting???

Has anyone used this system before and would I still need to prime the chipboard before the matting goes down?

P

Peter

Just to throw something into the mix, quite a few rubber crumb (liquid and powder 2 part) manufacturers state that their products can go straight to green chipboard providing there's no deflection. Done quite a bit of site work where was 2PF was specced straight onto chipboard and there's never been a single failure with any of the floors. Personally I'd overboard it on a private job though.

J

jay

Just to throw something into the mix, quite a few rubber crumb (liquid and powder 2 part) manufacturers state that their products can go straight to green chipboard providing there's no deflection. Done quite a bit of site work where was 2PF was specced straight onto chipboard and there's never been a single failure with any of the floors. Personally I'd overboard it on a private job though.

most state grout is mold proof to not to mention waterproof ,would defo overboard with 6mm hardie

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Lift the first tile you lay and check to see what kind of coverage you are getting, you are after 100% coverage! chances are you will need to back butter as well with that size tile. I would still advise over boarding with a 6mm cement board.
Good luck

J

jwatson

the advice given on this site is sound. bal have products that go against British standards, learned and practised by many tilers on here. They have a product that they claim can go straight onto tongue and groove boards, but i dont think that you would get many tilers on here that would do/trust it tho. so it is entirely up to you. The advice from the pros is to overboard. take it or leave it.
Called BAL Technical. To summarise what they said...

- Don't prime surface (just ensure there is no wax coating by sanding down)
- Adhesive: Single Part Fastfelx
- Grout: Wide Joint + GT1. additive.

Also said that on such a small floor the movement or deflection should be at a bare minimum.

So, there you have. Thanks again for all your advice!

R

richardbell81

the advice given on this site is sound. bal have products that go against British standards, learned and practised by many tilers on here. They have a product that they claim can go straight onto tongue and groove boards, but i dont think that you would get many tilers on here that would do/trust it tho. so it is entirely up to you. The advice from the pros is to overboard. take it or leave it.

believe me... i'm not doubting or questioning anyones expertise. If i could afford to get a professional tiler in to come and do the whole job, do you not think i would? However, I'm trying to do as much of the work as I can myself as this is our first house and we're on a very tight budget... i'm sure most people have been there at some point???

On this occasion, I have b*ggered up by not allowing extra height to tile over the newly installed woodchip flooring. If I could go back and do it all again then I would but i've just come slightly to far to realistically do that without causing major problems so I need to try and come up with the best solution possible, which may not be ideal, but there you go. I just hate doing 'DIY' jobs which is why I asked the experts instead of ploughing on.

Apologies if I caused any offence.

R

richardbell81

if there is no room for over boarding then imo would be a good idea to get something in writing from bal, stating the installation method required to meet there 25 year guarantee. thus covering your back if anything did go wrong in future. be aware, what ever they say do, as they are very good at testing if correct procedures have been followed voiding the guarantee.

yes... unfortunately their guarantee would be void as I didn't prime the sides and underneath of the waterproof chipboard flooring!!! my bad... although one BAL tech guy told me 'off the record' that he thought it would be fine as it's a 1st floor small room, and that the moisture resistant stuff should not be affected by atmospheric moisture too much!

The only people who seem to be able to give me any sort of guarantee are the guys at Nicobond if I was to use Plastic Ply! Although most of the guys on here seem to be suggesting to steer clear of that stuff, which is a shame as it would seem to be a perfect solution on the face of it.

S

sharpfamily

hello,

A suggestion: under tile electric heating makes a bathroom luxurious & very comfortable - may be worth considering, especially if there's not an existing central heating radiator. Use of thermal backer board is essential for heating efficiency. I used the Warmup UTH system plus electric towel rail to replace a 1kw wall mounted electric fan heater.

Incidentally the following link gives a lot of discussion on tiling on chipboard. I still haven't had any problems with any of my 3 tiled chipboard floors .

http://www.tilersforums.com/tile-ad...loor-grade-chipboard.html?highlight=chipboard

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on to chipboard flooring in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
    • Optimistic
Walked into our condo in Orange Beach Alabama and found two tiles popped loose from the floor...
Replies
Views
henryalbert
H
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.