Discuss Overlaying wooden floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Barry bp

Hi to everyone again i'm still quit new to this forum
When i tile a bathroom i like everything centered such as shower control radiator bathcontrols basin wc cutting round any sanitary ware for me is a no no I realised the only way to get all these things right was to take the whole project on i hate to see shower controls offset because plumber does first fix then tiler comes along and starts full tile somewhere that suits him i install high spec bathrooms i'm 46 went into tiling trade when i left school one bucket of tooles and a level was all you needed now i have over 10 different cutters wet wheele cutters score cutters laser levels and lots more still got a hand scriber in my toolbox! For one of my recent customers there was a small en-suite that used only some of the bedroom nextdoor they had a designer redesign en-suit taking over whole bedroom we had to move entrance door block up old bedroom door create three levels of floor a walk in wet shower area sunken bath curved walls marble reses 600 by 300 and 600 by600 porcelin glass mosaic over 40 grand everthing mm perfect if someone could tell me how to upload pics i'd like to (only good at bathrooms not computers) all my work is recomendation at the moment booked out till mid June.When we ripout existing bathroom always take old floor up take out dodgy pipes etc put in whats required for new room overlay joists with 18mm wbp plywood tile with apropriet adhesive you now telling me to overlay again with another 18mm ply 36mm! I think thats crazy with average bathroom i,ve fitted way over 1000000 tiles in my carer 1st ever problem involved ufh so i will overlay with insulation board never had prob without ufh why pay £50 for flex adhesive why can not my experience be good engough?

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
no moisture gets to ply if tiled well

adhesive is mixed with water,this in itself is putting moisture onto the ply
bathrooms also hold heat when showers etc are on and lots of steam this imo can make ply warp especially on shower walls ive seen it a number of times

grout is also water resistant not proof another opportunity for water to ingress the ply

its just my personall choice but these are some reasons i dont like ply especialyl in bathrooms barry

hope this helps

also a lot of ply especially from b and q etc is sheeething off and is poor quality at the moment this could also cause a failure

Last edited:

Reply to Overlaying wooden floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Overlaying wooden floors
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.