Discuss patch render onto travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GregM

Hi Folks,
I have a bricked up doorway in a bathroom that I want to eventually tile over. The travertine bricks were standing proud but some work with a cold chisel took care of that.
After doing lots of reading here I'm wondering how far out this idea is.

1st coat 4-1 sharp sand - cement and plasticizer about 12mm thick
second coat 5-1 about 5mm thick.
Is this about right? I am going to give the travertine bricks a good drenching coz they look like they are going to soak up lots of water.

Anythoughts? How long between coats? Exactly how wet do I get them?
Any input appreciated
cheers
G

G

GregM

I assume they are thermalite. They are very light, I can get a screwdriver to dig in fairly easily and a bolster chisel carves them up fairly easily, so they are very low density. I was hoping to dodge plastering it. It's only about 1m2 and i'm going to tile over it.
Basically I have done a bit of rendering before and have the bits. I haven't done any plastering and don't really want to go buy 2 bags of plaster for a little patch.
On the other hand there's no point doing it the easy way if it's going to crack and fall off.
Thanks for your reply.

A

akinsontiles

If its getting tiled onto just dot and dab it using plasterboard or a cement tile backer board for additional strength with dri-wall adhesive.

You don't mention the size and weight of the tile you are using so the max for plasterboard (un-skimmed) is 32kg per metre square in case you didn't know.

That way you can make sure its plumb and flush with the existing walls ready for tiling in about an hour you should be done.

G

GregM

I don't think tile weight will be a problem. Previously the bathroom had been covered in laminated, waterproof hardboard type stuff (Mermaid Board?) This covered all sorts of problems. One of which was a bricked up doorway. The top half is plastered and is sound. The bottom half is thermalite brick that stood proud of the wall. I hacked them back to about 15mm deeper than the wall. The first plan was to render it. I think now I should take it back a little further, even it out and use some cement backer board to fill it up. I'm using it elsewhere in the bathroom so i will have spare.
cheers

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
If its getting tiled onto just dot and dab it using plasterboard or a cement tile backer board for additional strength with dri-wall adhesive.

You don't mention the size and weight of the tile you are using so the max for plasterboard (un-skimmed) is 32kg per metre square in case you didn't know.

That way you can make sure its plumb and flush with the existing walls ready for tiling in about an hour you should be done.

duh,good thinking:thumbsup:,drylining it,why dident i think of that:mad2:

G

GregM

IMG_4175_compressed.jpg
When I was trying to thin the blocks down a bit more they shattered so I removed them completely. I thought about removing the next layer so I could have a hatch into the bathroom.
'Honey I'm in the tub, could you get me a gin?'
maybe not.
I think it's going to make a very nice recessed set of shelves. I need to build the bottom up a little coz it's a bit too close to the bath height. I figure a few layers of cement board will do fine. Adhesive and mechanically fixed in place. Can I tile onto the edge of a few layers of cement board?

Reply to patch render onto travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a brick wall covered in cement render and the tiles will be 600mm x 300mm x 10mm...
Replies
Views
My kitchen has a travertine floor. When it was installed ~2 years back I sealed it with one of...
Replies
Views
I will have a bath in the corner with a shower over. Most water will go in the bath but the...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
C
Hi, We have brought 600 x 400 x 12 travertine for wall and floor in a small bathroom. The...
Replies
Views
swanman
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
patch render onto travertine
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.