UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss photo donations? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LM Ceramics

i think we have all established its a big no i would use samples from topps tiles books if youre only looking to give a customer ideas of patterns etc there has been a few threads on here about people knicking pics off each other

at least you asked though and as you say you dont ask you dont get i would only ever use my own pics if you were to show your customers someone elses work and you cant match that standard then youre in big trouble

P

Prem Tiler

you should get a sheet of ply up on a wall and buy some cheap tiles or ask in local tile shop they will give you if you ask nicely, and practise thats what i did and take pictures of the different designs you create gives you practise and you can say they are all your own work to customers.I dont advise you use other peoples it will give you a bad name hope this helps it did for me! :lol:

what a brilliant bit of advise I'm definitely gonna give that a whirl!

P

Prem Tiler

Not a problem at all, In fact it is quite refreshing and somewhat flattering for someone like yourself to ask. Top marks for courtesy.

Over the years I've had alot of pictures used by others without permission, but I also understand that the internet is a place of mystery and madness and that people can be whoever they want to be in this fantasy world of cyberspace.

Pictures to me are just eye candy for others to enjoy and to also build self esteem and egos amongst other peers. I'm no professional photographer, so being precious about pictures doesn't negate me earning a living.

Your tiling ability is what sells not pictures, but we all need to start somewhere. So knock yourself out with pics from my gallery, I can only hope they come up to standard to use on a website.

I wish you well in your website design and look forward to seeing it completed.

All the best Mick :thumbsup:

That's all I wanted them for really to tart up a total beginners web site. you see I've lots of my window cleaning customers wanting to get me to do some tiling for them. a lot of my customers are quite excited about the concept of having me in there house all day long to talk about there gout and hip problems. lol bless them.

but I'm thinking there a little worried I'll not be up to scratch and am just taking up tiling to make some extra £. lol silly sods dont realise how much money there is in window cleaning!

I thought if I had a web site up and running it would show them i'm in it for the long haul and not just trying to rip them off. I like to think from my previous posts on here you guys would know I'd NEVER pass work off as mine that wasn't. Differently not to gain work.

Also without meaning to sound like a willy head I'm quite confident in my ability's to do a good job on anything i've been taught by Sam at Diamond Training, the teaching there is top draw!! And if I've not been showed how to do it properly I'd not take the job on. there is a tiler i've got chatting to on here who is local to me and I'd with no hesitation pass the job over to him if he could fit in in.

M

mikethetile

when i was at college we had to do set pieces to be marked at each stage

one piece was squaring up a window reveal , i picked some orange tiles out of the stores and took care to ensure that the grout lines were perfect. there was an open evening that week and the lecturer asked me not to hack it off as he wanted it left up as an example of a students work

later that day i caught one of the others taking pics of it for his portfolio

i should have been proud that he wanted a pic of my work over his own but i wasnt

i was angry.........i couldnt believe his cheek..........that was my work

dont pass off other peoples work as your own...........they wont like it

i was impressed with gary the tilers pics with his use of chrome listello and want an example to show potential customers but wouldnt dream of asking gary or worse still using them without asking

P

Prem Tiler

Would have offered you a few of mine,but now you have Micks, mine will look a bit rubbish in comparisonI . Have always said that none of mine are copy protected & I am really not bothered if anyone wants to copy or use them :thumbsup:

dont put your self down doode that curved wetroom is something any tiler would be proud as punch of but i'd never dream of attempting that. not quite yet any way.

thanks a million for the offer !:thumbsup:

I'm like you dont need to brag about my work i'm comfortable with the knowledge that its mine. there must be over 100 window cleaners that use my photo profile on there web sites maybe 5 of them asked 1st i couldn't give a monkeys! I know a window cleaner who took legal action because some one used a photo of his guys on there site. sad little man.

C

cornish_crofter

Dean

I didn't mean to sound obstructive earlier but there has been a thread here recently where one member accused another of copying photos of work onto his site and passing it off as his own.

There may well have been truth in the allegations, or someone may have innocently lifted a few photos from the net thinking it would do to illustrated examples of the work he could do.

TBH the accused was a well respected member of this forum and a few of us were somewhat disappointed and disillusioned by the whole episode.

Having said that you did ask, and that underlines your honesty - good man!

I would be sure to make it obvious what is and is not your work though.

U

user123

Hmm, why is nobody thinking here that there should be a natural order to things?

Starting a website with examples before you have any of your own to show seems like running before you can walk, or like opening a shop with a just a promise that something good will be in it. It doesn't mean there won't be but doesn't guarantee anyhting either, I would feel really uncomfortable if I was in your shoes when it came to the point of actually referring anyone to the site.

What if you make a mess of one of the early jobs and people come back to you saying that they only gave you the job on the strength of your site? Which would be unlikely, but the risk of it just doesn't seem worth it. Not having a website won't stop you getting any business, surely it should be there to grow with you and your progress once you have something to show you are proud of, I'd say just concentrate on getting some real experience first and relax about the website for now.

It's so easy to fall into the trap of 'if only' I had a great website , car, van, more funds, etc, etc, then it would all be easy, but all it does is take your energy away from what really needs to be done.

Hope that came across alright, good luck to you anyhow...:thumbsup:

P

Prem Tiler

i think the reasons behind me wanting to start the site were well and truly labeled in previous posts MG. I really dont need to do it to flatter my ego its big enough all ready. I have a job which i'm very good at and that flatters my huge ego enough.

also ive already pointed out i've no intentions on passing some one else's work off as mine. i'd read the thread CC was talking about regarding medlar and could see how strongly most tilers feel about people using there pics. I my self couldn't care less when people use mine from my window cleaning site but thats probably because mine are mostly of me working rather than the finished product. clean glass gets me hard but most folk find it quite dull! lol. I just though i'd have the common courtesy to ask if any one would like to donate a pic or two of there's to use as fill for my web pages.

that cool CC. I know you wouldn't be mean you seem like a nice guy!

Last edited by a moderator:
U

user123

:oops:
I don't know how my message could have come across as if I was accusing you of either ego bolstering (I wasn't) or attempting plagiarism - I fully understood where you were coming from with that - so neither of the above was the issue at all. I was trying to convey that IMO any website for any business website should come later, when there is something to show, not before you have really started. I have been self employed all my adult life and have had various websites as soon as they were around, but to have one without loads of experience to back it up seems to me personally a really awkward situation and all wrong. Perhaps others think differently, that was just my feeling about it.
Absolutely no offense intended.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to photo donations? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Due to a set of unforeseen circumstances in my life i'm having to completely reassess my...
Replies
Views
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views
Good evening, after working in tile shops for over 7 years and attending various courses with...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
photo donations?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.