Discuss Planning Applications in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

AMtek

Just been to look at a job for a builder mate of mine and we got talking about finding work and advertising and he said that he finds a lot of his work by looking in the local paper at the planning applications people have submitted and sending them a letter to introduce his business and ask them if they wanted a quote.

It seems like it could work quite well, has anybody else tried this?

D

Deleted member 9966

Be careful approaching people in this way. Dom Littlewood and the Cowboy Builders team looked at a case where a builder had done the same thing to a vulnerable woman who needed adaptions to her home to deal with her disabilities. The builder did a runner after failing the carry out proper work, taking her money and leaving her with nothing. Just don't want you guys to get tarred with the same brush. Your mate has the right idea to introduce his business to a client, but be careful you don't force people to take on your services. The vulnerable woman in the Cowboy Builders case was hounded by the builder until she accepted him to do the work after he told her the council had "allocated" her work to him.

A

AMtek

See what you're saying and I was thinking about just sending them a letter and if they contact me then I'll go and quote, if they don't then I'll just leave it. I had a look on the papers website and they have a list of the planning applications from every week this year and in August there were 12 conservatories and about 15 extensions with bathrooms going in them then there would be work for the joiner and the plasterers. Were steady away at the minute but extra work can only be a good thing

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Just been to look at a job for a builder mate of mine and we got talking about finding work and advertising and he said that he finds a lot of his work by looking in the local paper at the planning applications people have submitted and sending them a letter to introduce his business and ask them if they wanted a quote.

used the planning apps for years now. It's great for finding small domestic work. You can view planning applications for most local authorities online now. its free to view. Just go to the local .gov website and look up planning applications. I usually just send a letter of introduction ... For me it's about getting names and brands in front of potential customers rather than picking up specific jobs.

A

AMtek

used the planning apps for years now. It's great for finding small domestic work. You can view planning applications for most local authorities online now. its free to view. Just go to the local .gov website and look up planning applications. I usually just send a letter of introduction ... For me it's about getting names and brands in front of potential customers rather than picking up specific jobs.

What sort of % return do you get? sounds like it could be worth doing

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
What sort of % return do you get? sounds like it could be worth doing

Dont expect big returns. Perhaps 20% turn into enquiries. Which maybe 10 to 15% turn into orders. It depends as well on how much effort you want t put in. I just send letters and emails out and wait for what comes back.

W

White Room

I know of loads of builders who do that and have done over many years....

A

AMtek

You've just got to hope that there's no tilers in your area that read this as the potential customer will now end up with several tilers details landing on their doorstep after giving them the idea!! I do some work for a builder who gets a lot of jobs from doing this.

Its not just for tiling, we do tiling, bathrooms, kitchens, plastering, rendering and dashing (not all me, got lads for the different trades) and to be fair there probably is a tiler local who uses the planning portal anyway. worth a go though

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Planning Applications in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Last week I received an e-mail from what I thought was a customer wanted their kitchen tiled,I...
Replies
Views
Tiling onto a 22m2 green chipboard floor upstairs , told the customer it would be advisable to...
Replies
Views
Bubblecraft
B
J
Hi everyone, Jodie here, I registered a few weeks ago but have waited until now to give you the...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
S
priced a job for a builder at this mum's house ,he wanted a cash priced Deal and said it was...
Replies
Views
Hi There, I run several sites across the Midlands for a variety of builders. Thankfully over...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB