Discuss Please Help! Problem with Porcelain Floor Tiles - Wobbly in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

M

Milly

Hi,

I had underfloor heating and large poreceain tiles fitted a few months back and a month after they were fitted, some of the tiles became wobbly - they literally wobble when you stand on these, or walk across them. The grouting between the tiles also came out in a lot of the tiles.

I called the tiler back and he said that it was a fault with the floor as the builder should have levelled it before he began his work. He didn't tell us this at the time and I am unsure if he is just trying to blame the builder to get away with it. The builder had nothing to do with the flooring, tiling or the underfloor heating. These taks had been commissioned to the tiler.

I even pai him extra for some floor boards as he said he needed to buy them to 'level' the flooring; so I don't understand what the issue is.

Also - the underfloor heating in part of the area does not work. He is now (with a lot of pushing), arranging for the underfloor manufacturer to come and test the underfloor heating to see if i is a manufacturing fault.

Do you think this is the tilers fault or something to do with the floor? Can I take the matter further? I paid a lot for the work and a lot of the tiles move, grout between tiles has come out, and part of my underfloor heating doesn't and hasn't worked since he fitted it.

Please can you help shed light on this, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

M

Milly

Thanks everyone for such prompt comments.. ok:

1) Yes, electric underfloor heating.

2) The tiling is from the hall to the kitchen. The hall area had wooden floor boards and in the kitchen there is half concrete and half wooden floor boards.

3) I gave the tiler plywood for the levelling as he requested.

4) Ref. grouting etc - I have no idea what brand and method. When the work was being carried out, I wasn't in the house (had not moved in yet) and he had asked for the key, so I had just given it to him to compelte the work. I did once see that he used the cement type adhesive on the back of the tile before pressing it down onto the floor though.

D

DHTiling

Ok.. so you have wood on all the floor area now.. as in he screwed it down to the concrete section..?

This is deffo Fixer error and you must call him back to see why they have de-bonded.. and when he does then check how much coverage he has on the back of the tiles to floor bond.

With out actually seeing it, it is hard to say what has happened but no movement joint can cause stress... is this area where the tiles have come loose.?

M

Milly

The plywood was very thin sheets. He screwed it down to the concrete.

I made a mistake in 1 of my responses: he laid plywood all over the kitchen floor not just the side that needed to be raised.

The movement is everywhere. Mostly on the areas you most walk on.

When the underfloor heating went on initially, you could hear a noise as though the adhesive was crackling. Could there be an issue with the underfloor heating adhesive that's caused the movement?

The tiler asked me not to be in whilst he completed the work so I'm afraid I didn't see the work in action from scratch.

I saw him lift some of the floor tiles once and the underfloor heating wires looked loose - they didn't have much of the underfloor heating tape on them and there was no adhesive on the floor. He only applied it to the tiles when laying them.

Also - the grouting, a lot has come out from between the tiles.

S

Scott

Oh dear Milly he has done it all wrong by the sounds of it. The ply should be thick not thin 15mm minimum. The grout has come out because the tiles are loose and creating a space for it to move. Thats the least of the trouble im afraid. The ufh wire is best encapsulated in a self levelling compound (SLC) but it can be laid in the tile adhesive as the floor tiles required 100% coverage with no voids in the adhesive. Therefore it wont burn out, howevr it sounds like he has dot and dabbed the tiles, also called spot fixing. This isnt the right way to do it and its easy to spot as they sound hollow when you tap them.

If you can get a picture on it would be helpful. How big an area are we talking about?

M

Milly

thanks for your comments.

I'm not sure how thick the plywood was, but it was thin, I'd say it was about 0.75cm thick. I will include a photo of this in my album for you to see.

I'll upload some photos of the work whilst it was being carried out. Please can you take a look and thanks for your advice, I'm grateful.

you will notice from one of the photos there is the adhesive all over the floor before tiles went down, however when the builder came back a couple of months after the work was done and lifted a few of the wobbly tiles, I noticed there was no cement type grout/adhesive underneath and he re-stuck the tiles with adhesive on the tile, not on the ground. Unfortunately he only looked at 2 times and both are wobbly again (and more).

Now he is unresponsive, avoids my calls, texts etc and just seems to be dragging everything. I would be grateful of any advice form you as to the best way forward. What can I do? What shall I ask him to do to rectify the problem?

Thanks.

S

Scott

With Doug n this im afraid. If he has attempted to fix it once already and that has failed agian then the problem is obviously still there. Id leave him a message and tell him to get his backside round to see you. As for the legal side of things no one on here can advise you on that BUT i would tell him you are going to go down that route if necessary. That may just gee him up a bit.

The floor doesnt conform to british standards so while that isnt the 'law' it is the way things should be done and that where the 15mm ply stipulation comes from. Thereshoul dbe control joints between the two differnt substrates as the wood and concrete will 'move' at different rates to each other. A decouping membrane would have helped with this as well.

How large an area is it and where about are you based?

M

Milly

Thanks guys for your comments. The entire area is about 50 sq. ft (hallway, landing and kitchen area). The underfloor heating was zoned, part of which does not work and never has since it was installed. Brought a lot of tiles and he evne used my reserve tiles (due to cracking some) - I only have 1 tile left. I'm in London NW.

I had contacted trading standards (as I tried calling the tiler so many times but he does not respond and told me the problem is not his fault and that he doesn't even need to come).. anyway: Trading standards said I should write a letter to him if he doesn't respond when I try to call him. Do you think this is a good idea? Is there some 'rouge traders' type of organisation I could go to to try and get him to give me my money back?

Had to save up a lot to get the work done and it's a shame this has happened. Never been experienced with this sort of stuff before (not a DIY person either - no offence!!!). Can't afford to have it re-done. I would like him to pay me back for the tiling work so I can have it re-done, to be honest. I uploaded some photos.

S

Scott

I cant see the pictures the album is empty. You need to resize them to get them on. You can do it in windows live photo if you have it or a similar program

There is always the small claims court you can take him too but you will need to seek proper legal advice on that to see what procedures you need to follow. I understand that you need to offer him the chance to recify it but it would appear that he has already tried to do that. Therefore you may be able to claim that you have lost confidence in him and dont want him back to put it right. However that all needs checking with a legal representative, trading standards or citizens advice may be able to help.

There are reports you can have caried out to assess the quality of the work carried out, this will involve the methods used in the laying of the tiles and whether they are right or wrong. However the TTA (Tiling association) reports are a lot of money, i have heard somewhere between £6-800. You could always get a written report from a professional tiler as this would also help your case.

Reply to Please Help! Problem with Porcelain Floor Tiles - Wobbly in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB